Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Unibroue Beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Belgian wrote:I don't actually care who's at fault for supply, or by what means I get those products - as long as the Unibroue is in my fridge.
True.

I might stock up on Trois Pistoles though. It's bottle conditioned so no big deal. It would be nice to age some.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Many UniBroue belgi-ales should age long & well in the cellar, even the Chambly it is claimed. So what's to lose really I figure.

The Trois Pisrtoles you mention is supposed to be similar to what the Chimay Bleu/Grand Reserve once was, depending who you might ask. It does hold up to long storage.
In Beerum Veritas

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

I got this back from TBS today:

Thank you for your recent email to The Beer Store's Customer Service
Department. I am sorry to hear you are encountering some difficulties
acquiring your favorite brands Dave's Light at our retail locations. The following brands are not delisted from The Beer Store. It could be that this store is out of stock on these brands or that location no longer stocks that brand. If you would like to see this brand available at your local store I would encourage you to contact the Brewer directly. The Beer Store operates on an open listing policy which allows brewers to carry their products in as many or as few stores as they wish.

Unibroue 905-404-9981

We appreciate your interest and support of The Beer Store.

Regards,
Cathy Furtado
Customer Service Department Agent
email: customerservice@thebeerstore.ca
phone: 1-888-948-2337 ext.5413
Cheers!

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

What? What gives there? TBS unknowingness, or just spin?

emjay

Post by emjay »

That's interesting... I emailed TBS over a week ago and haven't gotten a reply yet... and one manager told me they definitely got rid of the SKU's

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

I don't understand the reference to "Dave's light", isn't that a Dave Nichols PC beer? Is she a little confused on what you were asking. I guess if she supplied Unibroue's phone number though she must have understood.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

John Aitken wrote:I don't understand the reference to "Dave's light", isn't that a Dave Nichols PC beer? Is she a little confused on what you were asking. I guess if she supplied Unibroue's phone number though she must have understood.
She probably cut & paste from a previous email and forgot to change the beer name.

Makes me wonder if there's a Bizarro Bar Towel somewhere where people complain about the fact that their local beer store has stopped carrying Dave's Light and Lucky Lager... :lol:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Let me try to clear some things up a bit.

The Beer Store is in fact delisting the slowest moving brands from their stores. They feel that they have too many brands. It would seem Unibroue is a victim in certain stores but I'm sure not all. There are probably other brands out there that are being delisted as well.

Unibroue's focus has shifted to U.S. and Euro markets which are growing - Ontario simply is not. Unibroue will continue to support bars and the LCBO - evidently the presence of Hoegaarden is helping drive draught sales of Blanche de Chambly considerably.

Knowledgeable advice tells me if you want Unibroue bottles demand it at your local LCBO - they list the top 5 brands and will bring it in for you.

I don't believe Sleeman is killing Unibroue so we can relax and enjoy a Trois Pistoles.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Cass wrote:
I don't believe Sleeman is killing Unibroue so we can relax and enjoy a Trois Pistoles.
You might be able to. I can't find it in Hamilton nor Burlington.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Go to your local LCBO and demand product #681924. They'll bring it in for you. Let me know if they won't.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Cass wrote:
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Go to your local LCBO and demand product #681924. They'll bring it in for you. Let me know if they won't.
I'll try it!

emjay

Post by emjay »

Okay I went back and talked to the manager and apparently only certain stores are delisting the Unibroue beers. Supposedly they will still be available in SOME stores. Better than nothing I guess...

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I noticed that on the beer store website it says that 750mL bottles of La Terrible are available at some locations. I've never tried this one but would like to. Prior to making the voyage to these locations, can anyone confirm that it is available at any beer stores?

I recently bought the last 2 dust covered 6 packs of Trois Pistoles at my local store. Every time I ask for that stuff it takes an average of 5 minutes for them to understand what I'm asking for, and another 5 minutes for the person in the back to dig it up...

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

cannondale wrote: I recently bought the last 2 dust covered 6 packs of Trois Pistoles at my local store. Every time I ask for that stuff it takes an average of 5 minutes for them to understand what I'm asking for, and another 5 minutes for the person in the back to dig it up...
Yes, all the Unibroue packs of beer I've bought in recent months have been covered in dust. At our Beer Store you pick the cases up yourself so it doesn't take five minutes to do that. It does however take about five minutes of searching on the register screen - going back and forth from screen page to page - for the cashier to find it. :roll:

It wouldn't surprise me if they reconsidered selling Unibroue beers at most Beer Stores.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Cass wrote:
The Beer Store on Cootes Drive has some. Brewed in March of this year.

Salut