Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A quick thanks

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Filson

A quick thanks

Post by Jon Filson »

I've decided to move on from regularly writing about beer in the Star and wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone out there who've helped me out on the beat the last few years. I'd especially like to thank Cam and Greg at Steam Whistle, Karen at Creemore, Phil at King and Stephen Beaumont, as well as Cass, Greg and all the other Bar Towellers who I've had the chance to chat with. It's been fun.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Jon: Are you "moving on" from the Star or from the beer writing altogether?
Aventinus rules!

Jon Filson

Post by Jon Filson »

No, I'm still at the Star. I just won't be doing anything regular on beer anymore.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Sorry to hear that Jon, I felt your articles were both very accessible and accurate, you were able to walk that line between the geeks and masses... Keep in touch eh?
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Sorry to hear about this, Jon, but I expect it was always a bit of a fight to get interesting beer coverage into a mainstream daily. Hopefully you'll be able to at least do some one-off articles if something notable comes along.

Jon Filson

Post by Jon Filson »

Thanks John, Greg. It'll be nice to be able to go to a beer event and just be able to shoot my mouth off instead of actually having to listen ... kidding, kidding. I do expect someone else at the paper will pick up the gig. I know the Food editor wants to keep beer in the section. I just didn't have time any more to do even what I thought was a halfway decent job. It wasn't the easiest gig to give up, and I wish I would've got around to columns on Mill St. and a few others, but hey, I can still drink the stuff ...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Jon, your columns have always been a pleasure.
If I have one complaint, it's that there were too few. I know it's a lot of work, but regular work of the quality you put forth is important to loyal readership.
Maybe you could train a suitable replacement, that way you could expense the supplies for a while. :wink:

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

That's sad to hear man, I always enjoyed your articles.

Good luck in the future.