Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Here's a bizarre one for you!!!...Unf******believeable!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Here is the full press release for the D'Angelo/Reno duet:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/mmnr/steelback/

See if you can read the whole thing without gagging!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:Here is the full press release for the D'Angelo/Reno duet:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/mmnr/steelback/

See if you can read the whole thing without gagging!
Here's a small gag from the above :
a Canadian success story that now includes the D'Angelo juice empire and Steelback Brewery.
:lol: :lol:

I'll wager Frank did the copy on this as it seems so self promoting and overly self glorifying..."juice empire"??? :o :lol:

I was unaware a small beverage business with sales under 3$M with a stock turnover that didn't blip on the NSDA bulliten board penny stocks qualified as a business "empire" :roll: .....and the jury is still out on the brewery being a "success" as the easily tracked Steelback sales from their unique SKUs do not support this contention...

...but hey, Frank knows part of the tradition of the beer business is BS,,,if you can't brew, you can BS....you can say anything you can get away with...and that's a lot...particularly in a market where Labatt can say blue is an all malt lager and not be dinged for false advertising or consumer fraud.
Aventinus rules!

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

You know, I've never actually tried a Steelback beer, and I don't have any personal experience with anyone connected with the brewery, but as a beer enthusiast, I'm happy to hear that boutique brewpub is opening in Toronto.

Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist, but isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe they'll make a few decent beers? I'll pop in and try them when it opens and make up my own mind.
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

emjay

Post by emjay »

JWalter wrote:Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist, but isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe they'll make a few decent beers?
Absolutely not

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

JWalter wrote:You know, I've never actually tried a Steelback beer, and I don't have any personal experience with anyone connected with the brewery, but as a beer enthusiast, I'm happy to hear that boutique brewpub is opening in Toronto.

Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist, but isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe they'll make a few decent beers? I'll pop in and try them when it opens and make up my own mind.
Frank can't even make a compitent juice....what makes you think he will ever make a good beer.

And if you really need to have your eardrums offended by Frank's "Musical Talents", just go down to Bremner Boulevard before an Argos game, they normally play the St*****ck Street festival before the games.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Firstly my apologies for dragging this string even further from the topic of beer and good beer venues, but I have one more concern with the tastefulness of our friend at Steelback Brewery. Usually I would hold my peace and give Frank or one of his defenders an opportunity to respond, but that appears unlikely to happen. However there is one issue here which I feel stupid for not having noticed before and which I now feel compelled to mention.

And I say this as a guy who has had friends and family members first undergo the disfigurement of a mastectomy, and then bravely succumb to breast cancer.

Does anyone not find it tragically, ineptly comedic that Frank is trying to support the fight against breast cancer (or any other form of cancer for that matter) with his signature tune, "We're Here For a Good Time (Not a Long Time)"?

If you saw this in a Christopher Guest movie you would say that it was far-fetched.

It's astoundingly insensitive. And judging from the date of the press release on the website, nobody - not Frank, not Steelback, not the Breast Cancer Society - seems to have picked up on this piece of cruel and bitter irony for over a year.

Tune in to the link above. We can only hope that Frank doesn't sing this song in the middle of an oncology ward.

Are we the only people embarassed on this guy's behalf?!

It's going to take a few Iron Dukes before I can get my head around this one.

Where's our friend from the Toronto Star?
Last edited by Uncle Bobby on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

It's OK, Uncle Bobby, to stray a little from beer; you are, after all, in the Random Talk thread.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

You guys are all barking up the wrong tree here.
Frank is doing a great thing here by trying to open another "craft" establishment in the city of Toronto. I don't know about everyone sles, but I can't wait till' it opens co I can cheetah all the time.

:P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

flip

Post by flip »

LMAO!! :lol: I wonder if Cheetah is better when it's fresh?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

JWalter wrote:You know, I've never actually tried a Steelback beer, and I don't have any personal experience with anyone connected with the brewery, but as a beer enthusiast, I'm happy to hear that boutique brewpub is opening in Toronto.
I'll celebrate with you IF this is, infact ,what is occuring. The cheesy history of the owner casts some doubt on that. I hope he proves me wrong.

JW: I encourage you to taste a Steelback beer...perhaps your optimism is misplaced in this case. :)
JWalter wrote:
Absolutely possible...but not probable...IF the owner maintains the same hands on approach to operations and marketing that the steelback brewery suffers under.

It takes a good deal of optimism to see this lumbering ego step back from an operation he has no affinity with and allow his employees to run it in a manner conducive with the market it is intended for.

Like I said, try a Steelback ...scan the steelback site and reconsider the optomistic odds of this enterpise producing anything that appeals to good taste.
Last edited by pootz on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Uncle Bobby wrote: Does anyone not find it tragically, ineptly comedic that Frank is trying to support the fight against breast cancer (or any other form of cancer for that matter) with his signature tune, "We're Here For a Good Time (Not a Long Time)"?

It's astoundingly insensitive.
Are we the only people embarassed on this guy's behalf?!
Bob someone has to be embarassed for him because it seems it is impossable for this man to feel embrassment or shame ( I recall the shameless/tasteless Ben Johnston exploitations among other tasteless SBB PR gaffes)....it's a matter of taste isn't it...what seems tasteful and proper to one is tastless and boorish to others....I suppose that is really what this whole string is about.

The "taste" we see displayed in Steelback beer and its owner and the possibility that there may not be a mesh there with the "taste" of boutique beer and its clientel is a legitimate topic pertaining to lovers of good beer.

I don't see that as being off topic at all and your ( and others) passion for good taste seems to have spawed a passionate debate about "taste" which Cass has noticed brings TBT some traffic. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

liammckenna

Post by liammckenna »

I guess Frank's looking for a permanent venue for his schlock rock revue in the Victoria St. development.

Could be the death of that neighbourhood.

Some ego's know no bounds.

Let the baby have his bottle.

The rest of us still have Denison's. A veritable national treasure...

Hopefully, that will never change.

Pax.

Liam

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I can't wait until I can have pints of Tiverton Bear dark on cask.

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

How do they make money? do people actually buy their beer? i dont know anyone that does. How do they stay in business?

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

A friend of mine was in a Berlin beer hall a few months ago and struck up a conversation with a guy there. Eventually, when he introduced himself as being from Ontario, Canada, the German said something to the effect of, "So, how do you enjoy that Steelback?"

Frightening.

Never underestimate your average Canadians willingness to accept mediocrity, or indeed, less than.