Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Hunter videos at Zellers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Beer Hunter videos at Zellers

Post by GregClow »

Shopping at the Zellers at the Galleria Mall yesterday (Dufferin & Dupont), I stumbled across two volumes of Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter TV series on VHS for 99 cents each.

The ones I found were Volume One - "California Pilgrimage" & "The Best of Britain" - and Volume Two - "The Bohemian Connection" & "Germany: The Fifth Element". I believe the series ran for 6 episodes, so there is probably a third volume, but I couldn't find it in the clearance bins.

For those who are interested, there were a couple more copies of each of them left. Since the series was filmed back in 1989 it certainly isn't timely, but I'm sure it'll be interesting from an historical perspective.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I mail-ordered the set of 3 last year, and they cost me substantially more than 99 cents! Well worth it though.

I think the third one is Belgium & Holland.

They're mostly historic breweries, so it's not actually too outdated.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have the original Beer Hunter computer series that Michael Jackson did. It was cool for the time with full motion video and stuff like that.

Unfortunately neither the Windows or Mac versions I have work on the modern operating systems! Too bad as they would be fun to look at again after a decade.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:Shopping at the Zellers at the Galleria Mall yesterday (Dufferin & Dupont), I stumbled across two volumes of Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter TV series on VHS for 99 cents each.

The ones I found were Volume One - "California Pilgrimage" & "The Best of Britain" - and Volume Two - "The Bohemian Connection" & "Germany: The Fifth Element". .
Buy ya a few beers if ya burn me a copy of vol. 2 :wink:
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass, I just gave away a perfect Mac Quadra so that's too bad - it might have actually been of use to you now!

Thanks GC for the tip on the VHS, amazing find.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:Buy ya a few beers if ya burn me a copy of vol. 2 :wink:
Kind of hard to "burn" a copy of a VHS, unless you know someone with two VCRs...

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I have all 3 volumes transfered to 3 dvd's if anyone wants a copy. I realise it's piracy but what can you do with a hard to find product?

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Torontoblue wrote:I have all 3 volumes transfered to 3 dvd's if anyone wants a copy. I realise it's piracy but what can you do with a hard to find product?
In the same vein, 2 of the episodes exist as torrents.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Torontoblue wrote:I have all 3 volumes transfered to 3 dvd's if anyone wants a copy. I realise it's piracy but what can you do with a hard to find product?
Email Michael directly offering to buy him a pint when he's next in town... ;^)
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JWalter wrote:
Email Michael directly offering to buy him a pint when he's next in town... ;^)
Something tells me it's been a looooong time since Mr. Jackson has been asked to pay for a pint in any decent bar... :wink:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:
Kind of hard to "burn" a copy of a VHS, unless you know someone with two VCRs...
I guess that's a "no"? :lol:
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

pootz wrote:
GregClow wrote:
Is it impossible to burn a DVD of a VHS?

I thought people could steal anything nowadays, MacroVision be damned...
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:Is it impossible to burn a DVD of a VHS?
Not impossible by any means, you just need the gear & software to do it. And I have neither.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Belgian wrote:
pootz wrote:
GregClow wrote: Kind of hard to "burn" a copy of a VHS, unless you know someone with two VCRs...
Is it impossible to burn a DVD of a VHS?

I thought people could steal anything nowadays, MacroVision be damned...
A VHS player connected to a DVD recorder, optionally with a little device in the middle called Go! DVD by Sima if MacroVision is in play - that's one way of doing it.

Or you could go HERE to see that someone else has already digitized it.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just hook your VCR to your PC and you're away. A lot easier and no Macrovision. Though I don't think there was Macrovision on the Beer Hunter tapes anyway.