Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Irish Plain Porter selected for the LCBO Fall Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Black Irish Plain Porter selected for the LCBO Fall Ale

Post by PRMason »

I am delighted to report that Black Irish Plain Porter has been selected for the 2007 Autumn Ale Program by the LCBO. This means that it will be featured in 200 stores.
The plan is to sell it in single 341ml stubby bottles.
Now for the bad news. Because it was selected for this promotion, it cannot be introduced to the stores before the start of the promotion- next fall. So, if you want any Porter in bottles, you'll have to hike up to the brewery in Carleton Place.
The Sgt.Major is now back in fine form. You should see it filtering into the system in the next week or two. It is included in the OSBA fixture promotion, meaning it will be introduced into 40 some odd stores in the GTA, as well as a few furter afield ( Waterloo and Guelph). This will be in effect for 3 months from Dec. to Mar.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Congrats Perry!

Is the hold out an LCBO requirement or a production issue?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

LCBO requirement. They want the products to be exclusive when they are launched.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

PRMason wrote:I am delighted to report that Black Irish Plain Porter has been selected for the 2007 Autumn Ale Program by the LCBO. This means that it will be featured in 200 stores.
The plan is to sell it in single 341ml stubby bottles.
The Sgt.Major is now back in fine form. You should see it filtering into the system in the next week or two. It is included in the OSBA fixture promotion, meaning it will be introduced into 40 some odd stores in the GTA, as well as a few furter afield ( Waterloo and Guelph). This will be in effect for 3 months from Dec. to Mar.
Look forward to the BI Porter in bottles...I hope it's as good as the stuff I've been quaffing at the Castle on King...now, are you saying the Sargent Major's is back to the old formula? I tried the newer one on tap at the castle and I personally found it lacking from the older formulation made at Church Key......whazzup with that Perry?
Aventinus rules!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Good work on getting selected, it's about damn time.

And I'm with Pootz, I hope you've returned the Sgt. Major to the piney, resiny beast it was at Church Key. 8)
Last edited by Ale's What Cures Ya on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

While I think this is great news, I worry a little bit the beer will suffer because of the LCBO's horrendous treatment of its stock. Will you be taking any precautions, Perry, to ensure the beer is presented at its best?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Sgt. Major is almost back to its best self. One more tweak and its there. The problem was with the small amount of chocolate malt we always used. It seems that the chocolate malt we received came in at 700 deg. Lovibond ( a measure of colour and degree of roast). The chocolate malt we used to get was a more normal 400-450. So the beer became more roast and malty. We upped the amount of hops we used as well. I am much, much happier with the batch we just made than any other since the move. I don't know when the taps in Toronto will get the new stuff. Soon, i hope.
As for Black Irish, this is the beer that I had forgotten in my garage for 3 years (through heat and cold) and served as the Millenium Vintage Porter.
Even the LCBO couldn't hurt that sucker. Besides, we always try to maintain a sane amount in the stores to try to ensure freshness and stock rotation.

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Really looking forward to this Perry. Also, when do you think we can expect to see the stubby bottles?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

looking forward to this and spreading the bottles around

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

PRMason wrote:The Sgt. Major is almost back to its best self. One more tweak and its there. The problem was with the small amount of chocolate malt we always used. It seems that the chocolate malt we received came in at 700 deg. Lovibond ( a measure of colour and degree of roast). The chocolate malt we used to get was a more normal 400-450. So the beer became more roast and malty. We upped the amount of hops we used as well. I am much, much happier with the batch we just made than any other since the move. I don't know when the taps in Toronto will get the new stuff. Soon, i hope.
As for Black Irish, this is the beer that I had forgotten in my garage for 3 years (through heat and cold) and served as the Millenium Vintage Porter.
Even the LCBO couldn't hurt that sucker. Besides, we always try to maintain a sane amount in the stores to try to ensure freshness and stock rotation.
Woah, there's chocolate malt in the Sgt. Major? I had no idea.

What does chocolate malt do for the Sergeant's taste?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

It provides some depth to the mid-palate. It is really noticeable when it is not there.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

It sure is nice to see a Brewery doing so well after a buy out. Nice move Perry! I’ll be heading to the Castle again tonight for more of your Porter!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PRMason wrote:The Sgt. Major is almost back to its best self.
Notice the careful choice of wording there, friends. Perry's not promising us the exact "Church Key" one, or the "earlest version" one - just the "best" one! Sounds good to me.

I have pretty good faith in Heritage based on results so far. Serious stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

I had a bottle of the Sgt. Major last night that was dated Nov. 6/2006. I was assuming this was the new version (erm, newest version...the one you speak of in this thread), but it was not at all how I had remembered it (not that you've said it would go back to it's old hoppy self). This one was very malty, with only some hop bitterness in the finish. Sort of more like a brown ale than an IPA. It also poured with almost no head. What date coding should we be looking out for for the proper version, the way you intend it, so I can pick up a six of that?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sort of more like a brown ale than an IPA.
I would only GUESS your sample is not the Current Edition, based on the Date Coding (J=September? versus November) and Perry's malt adjustment (should a Pale Ale look like a Brown?)

But that's just me! :wink: Somebody find a new batch & comment.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas