Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Going to Pittsburgh

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

aeroeng

Going to Pittsburgh

Post by aeroeng »

I'll be going to Pittsburgh (to see the Leafs play) and wonder if anyone has any recommendations as to what places I should visit. Likewise, where would be the best places to find beers there?

Thanks

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Fat Heads and Church Brew Works are pretty good stops. John Harvard is good too, but away from the downtown if I remember correctly.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I spent a night in Pittsburgh many years ago, and ended up at a place called the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern.

This was before I was a serious beer hunter, but I remember that they had a very large selection of beer from around the world. So large that they didn't have enough room behind the bar for it all, so they had a couple of fridges on the customer side with big flashing lights on top of them that went off when they were opened, presumably so the bartenders could ensure that no-one grabbed something without paying.

I also remember that they had a $2 or $2.50 special on a different import each night. The night I was there, the import special was Labatt 50! :lol:

Oh, and they also served absolutely fantastic Polish food. The pierogi in particular were outstanding.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/pennsylva ... gz/161.htm

My girlfriend had good luck with D's. Apparently not many places in Pennsylvania sell single bottles.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

In PA, at least until recently, you have to buy a 2-4 from a "distributor" or go to certain taverns to buy sixes. Look for a six indicating off-license sales or "six to go" or some such thing. I think they are shifting the rules but it is very recent - I think some retail outlets are now being lumped into the tavern rule . I once went in to a pharmacy in eastern PA and asked where the nearest place to get a beer was. The shocked horror on the faces of the clerk and assistant manager made me feel like I had just asked where one might acquire the services of a prostitute.

frosken

Post by frosken »

I was in Pittsburgh (suburbrs) in August and the '24 minimum' law is still in effect. I brought back a case of Victory's Hop Devil...

Although I went to a Steelers game and went to a trendy bar, they didn't have any 'good/interesting' stuff (beer wise...women on the other hand was a different story!)

Good luck!

frosken

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

East End Brewing Company looks interesting. Probably worth keeping an eye out for.