Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

http://shop.belgianshop.com/

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

robinvboyer

http://shop.belgianshop.com/

Post by robinvboyer »

has anyone actually ordered from this website.
i was going through it tonight and found some of my fav lambics from Oud Beersel, and i wanted to order some, but they don't seem to have an option for CANADA, even though they advertise all over the place they ship worldwide! I sent them an e-mail and i'm awaiting a reply, but i'm wondering if anyone here had ordered from there before. i know i can get these Oud Beersel beers at the BB, but do i wanna spend $27 a bottle?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think a few people have successfully ordered from there, but Im pretty sure its technically not allowed. So basically, if you order you are taking a small risk that it will be confiscated by customs.

It depends how badly you want the stuff and how much risk you are willing to take.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I'm in Toronto and I ordered from them no problem. They were damn quick too.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i used them twice, the first time in 2005 came right through to door within 10 days although exchange and shipping was about 15% more than i expected..2nd order got caught by customs HOWEVER UPS cleared it (fedex who shipped it does not interact when someone discovers its alcohol) with a $60 charge for clearing by UPS and $32 to the LCBO and other governments for taxes. The LCBO was cool about it as long as everyone got their taxes. So it cost me $92 more than I expected, I am to receive this tomarow after 6 weeks of back and forth . Belgium SHop implicity guarantees delivery to your door but is mum about giving me a credit on this.

I think the latter experience will become the norm with new government rules and policies.
Bottom line, if you are willing to pay, and its still less than drinking at a bar, you get great selection.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

robinvboyer wrote:has anyone actually ordered from this website.
i was going through it tonight and found some of my fav lambics from Oud Beersel, and i wanted to order some, but they don't seem to have an option for CANADA, even though they advertise all over the place they ship worldwide! I sent them an e-mail and i'm awaiting a reply, but i'm wondering if anyone here had ordered from there before. i know i can get these Oud Beersel beers at the BB, but do i wanna spend $27 a bottle?
If you have access to a car (or feel like renting one) you can pick up at least a few of the Oud Beersel beers at Premier in Buffalo. You won't have to worry about breakage or customs (Assuming you don't buy tons and tons.) I would call them first to confirm that they have it in stock/how much it costs.

-rudy

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

thanks for the info everyone.........but one things remains the same. When i'm on the actual webiste and it asks for the country where i would like it shipped, Canada is not in the options...........so i'm not able to fill in my address. When you guys ordered was Canada an option in the drop down menu when selecting the country where you want it shipped?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

For those of you that ordered from belgianshop, what kind of quantities did you order?

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

just got an e-mail back from Bruno at Belgianshop. He informed that they no longer ship to Canada. He said in the past weeks they have had a few packages get sent back to them because Canadian customs refused them. SO...........forget about ordering from their website.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="Gedge"]For those of you that ordered from belgianshop, what kind of quantities did you order?[/quote]
about 12 first time, 24 2nd time
the recent time they clearly marked bottles not for resale, which will top off customs. Plus theys ubstituted bottles on me.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Blankboy wrote:I'm in Toronto and I ordered from them no problem. They were damn quick too.

This was my experience, just recently as well. My order took only 5 days from time of order. Pretty darn snappy. I ordered just 2 bottles (Westy 12 and Wesmalle Tripel 750ml) as a test to see if it would get through (had mine 6 pack Westy seized before, when I bought from a much cheaper seller from ebay). They listed the package description as "collector's soda bottles."

I wish they had LCBO prices though. While I think they are outrageously overpriced (e.g., Westmalle = $16/large bottle, Westy 12 = $40 /small bottle + $20 for shipping) , they really do have all the Belgian beers and glassware under one roof.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

robinvboyer wrote:just got an e-mail back from Bruno at Belgianshop. He informed that they no longer ship to Canada. He said in the past weeks they have had a few packages get sent back to them because Canadian customs refused them. SO...........forget about ordering from their website.
How odd... an international company that will not deal with Ontario? Fed up with regulatory wranglings that are completely insane?

Unheard of! This must be a mistake...
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:
robinvboyer wrote:just got an e-mail back from Bruno at Belgianshop. He informed that they no longer ship to Canada. He said in the past weeks they have had a few packages get sent back to them because Canadian customs refused them. SO...........forget about ordering from their website.
How odd... an international company that will not deal with Ontario? Fed up with regulatory wranglings that are completely insane?

Unheard of! This must be a mistake...
That post was over 3 years old. lol. The Belgian Shop now delivers to Canada once again....but still at your own risk of course.
Last edited by Lukie on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Its expensive as hell, the shipping is insane. Its only worth it if your getting big quantities

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

PeenSteen wrote:Its expensive as hell, the shipping is insane. Its only worth it if your getting big quantities

Its still a rip off even in large quantities. Take a 24 bottle crate of Westy 12 and 8. They charge $800!!! Plus the shipping will be at least $100.For a beer that, at the abbey, costs exactly $52.06 CAD for the same 24 bottle crate. Their mark ups are just amazing. I would not mind the delivery charge, if their prices - bulk or otherwise - weren't so unreasonable.

IMO, the only rational reason to buy from that store is for novelty purposes, if you've never had the beer before and just want to try it once to see what its like. It can also be a nice gift for beer lovers.

Belgian, we need your ass to import Westy 12 to Canada at more reasonable prices. You'd have a line up outside your house and a plausible excuse not to return phone calls, this time.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

For $800 you can pretty much fly into Brussels for a weekend and pick up a case.