Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

http://shop.belgianshop.com/

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

devonsleigh wrote:For $800 you can pretty much fly into Brussels for a weekend and pick up a case.
If only it were that easy...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lukie wrote:Belgian, we need your ass to import Westy 12 to Canada at more reasonable prices. You'd have a line up outside your house and a plausible excuse not to return phone calls, this time.
No thanks & good luck with the genius plan.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:
Lukie wrote:Belgian, we need your ass to import Westy 12 to Canada at more reasonable prices. You'd have a line up outside your house and a plausible excuse not to return phone calls, this time.

What's the problem? Surely you can bring it to us cheaper than $40 (plus $20 shipping) per bottle. I assume you've tried before and it didn't work out? Is it because Westy is not formally allowed to be resold? Enlighten me.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lukie wrote:
Belgian wrote:

What's the problem? Surely you can bring it to us cheaper than $40 (plus $20 shipping) per bottle. I assume you've tried before and it didn't work out? Is it because Westy is not formally allowed to be resold? Enlighten me.
why do you think that belgian is an importer?

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

[quote="JesseMcG"]If only it were that easy...[/quote]

I made the trip and was able to pick up 12 of the 12 at the bier tempel for 7 euros a bottle if i recall correctly, no need to phone and drive up to the monastery. However it wasn't a weekend trip but part of an overall getaway.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

devonsleigh wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:If only it were that easy...
I made the trip and was able to pick up 12 of the 12 at the bier tempel for 7 euros a bottle if i recall correctly, no need to phone and drive up to the monastery. However it wasn't a weekend trip but part of an overall getaway.
Yeah I heard it was easy. All you do is phone ahead to reserve and pick up the crate. $52 per 24 bottle crate. I don't know, though, whether the monks sell it year round.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Lukie wrote:Yeah I heard it was easy. All you do is phone ahead to reserve and pick up the crate. $52 per 24 bottle crate. I don't know, though, whether the monks sell it year round.
I've heard if you are a tourist, the monastary is about an hour drive outside of Brugge, you need to phone ahead to the monks with your license plate and you are at the mercy of whatever beer they are selling that day if you are buying by the case. They don't sell 12's every day.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

carguy

Post by carguy »

I was at Biertempel in Brugge, and had a Westy 12 in my hand, but didn't realize it until later. I was just thought it odd that there was a row of bottles with no label. I so regret not buying one.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

phirleh wrote:
Lukie wrote:Yeah I heard it was easy. All you do is phone ahead to reserve and pick up the crate. $52 per 24 bottle crate. I don't know, though, whether the monks sell it year round.
I've heard if you are a tourist, the monastary is about an hour drive outside of Brugge, you need to phone ahead to the monks with your license plate and you are at the mercy of whatever beer they are selling that day if you are buying by the case. They don't sell 12's every day.
I phoned ahead before my trip (the 12 weeks or whatever it was that is recommended), and was told I needed a license plate number, and when I said it would be a rental I was told sorry but they couldn't reserve a case for me. When we made it out to the Monastery we walked around and popped by the pickup zone, where the guy working asked if I was picking up a case I said no, and explained, he told me that he would have held me a case with a Driver's License number. I nearly cried.

In the end I picked up a 3 each of the 6 and 8 at the gift shop, and a gift box with 2 glasses and a bottle of the 12. I also drank a couple bottles and got well lubricated on the gift shop patio while eating the Monastery cheese.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

icemachine wrote:
phirleh wrote:
I phoned ahead before my trip (the 12 weeks or whatever it was that is recommended), and was told I needed a license plate number, and when I said it would be a rental I was told sorry but they couldn't reserve a case for me. When we made it out to the Monastery we walked around and popped by the pickup zone, where the guy working asked if I was picking up a case I said no, and explained, he told me that he would have held me a case with a Driver's License number. I nearly cried.

In the end I picked up a 3 each of the 6 and 8 at the gift shop, and a gift box with 2 glasses and a bottle of the 12. I also drank a couple bottles and got well lubricated on the gift shop patio while eating the Monastery cheese.

Was the cheese any good?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Lukie wrote:
icemachine wrote:
phirleh wrote: I've heard if you are a tourist, the monastary is about an hour drive outside of Brugge, you need to phone ahead to the monks with your license plate and you are at the mercy of whatever beer they are selling that day if you are buying by the case. They don't sell 12's every day.

Was the cheese any good?
Very good cheese. Think my wife and I ate about half of a 1kg wheel
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole