Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

new UK ales at LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Maybe now they will consider Dale's Pale and Chubbs..or even Furious and Coffee Bender in cans

I checked out the Surly Brewing website and I'm intrigued by this brewery. Cool cans too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MattB wrote:Thanks for the info.

My comments about the LCBO on-line listings were inspired by my attempt at getting a wine a friend recommended at hte Queen's Quay store. The on-line listing said that there were some 24 bottles still at the store. The Vintages guy told me that it had sold out within days of listing, a month earlier...
Your 'friend' should have saved you an extra bottle! ;)

I've noticed just a few times there can be 'Phantom Inventory" which they never purge from the system.

On the other hand, clerks will often locate stock that is hiding in the back, and you will take home a rare treasure - score one, the listings!!
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

You won't see Surly's here for the same reason you won't see Sierra Nevada at the LCBO. Surly's beers are not pasteurized and required temperature controlled storage at both the warehouse and retail level and the LCBO will not guarantee either.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="esprit"]You won't see Surly's here for the same reason you won't see Sierra Nevada at the LCBO. Surly's beers are not pasteurized and required temperature controlled storage at both the warehouse and retail level and the LCBO will not guarantee either.[/quote]
but why not SN as it is bottle conditioned?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

northyorksammy wrote: but why not SN as it is bottle conditioned?
So is Schneider wheat bock unpasturized and bottle conditioned :-?

What gives?
Aventinus rules!

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Ditto on the Fuller's ESB.

Speaking of Fuller's, I was looking to pick up a few bottles of the London Porter yesterday and couldn't find it anywhere. So I checked the online listings to discover they list only FOUR bottles on the shelves in Toronto. Please tell me they aren't delisting this...I've never had trouble finding it in the past.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

If the website search Lists the product as "Current/Priced" then there are no plans to de-list.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Does one need to purchase a four-pack if they're interested in sampling these brews? Or will they ring one up individually if you just yank one off the shelf? I'm not that interested in four tall boys of this stuff.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

shintriad wrote:Does one need to purchase a four-pack if they're interested in sampling these brews? Or will they ring one up individually if you just yank one off the shelf? I'm not that interested in four tall boys of this stuff.
Are you talking about the 6X and Abbot Ale? I bought singles of each, and they rang through fine. I didn't even notice them in four packs, there were just loose cans on the shelf as far as I could see.

As a general rule, though - any cans in 4 or 6 "packs" that are held together with the plastic rings can usually be removed and purchased as a single. Same with bottles in open style 6 packs.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I never knew that - good to know. There are a few sixes I have no interest in dropping ten buck on that I would like to sample.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Speaking of Fuller's ESB, Ralph on Friday said he will be getting in some on cask probably in the summer sometime. :D
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We have spoken to SN many times and they are adamant...if the LCBO cannot guarantee temperature controlled warehousing and retail display, they will not sell to the LCBO.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

GregClow wrote:As a general rule, though - any cans in 4 or 6 "packs" that are held together with the plastic rings can usually be removed and purchased as a single. Same with bottles in open style 6 packs.
In a lot of cases, I think this depends on the store. In my experience, the worst is the Crossroads LCBO at Weston Rd and the 401. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to buy a single and been told, "We can't sell this as a single. It only comes up as a six pack on the computer".

It's not even that I've pulled a can/bottle off the rings or out of a six pack carrier...I get this even when I've taken a number of single cans or bottles that were sitting on the shelves. Conversely, at many other stores, they just key in a generic single bottle code at the cash.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Ralph also told me that the cask version of Fulllers ESB is being brought to Ontario. This is great news but I wonder if the LCBO will take a sample of the firkin for lab tests. If the cask is broached it will only stay in good condition for three days! If cask English ale is being brought to Ontario I would prefer Oakham JHB and/or Woodfordes Wherry. I've had both of these ales in the US and they were spot on.

I also saw Wadworths 6X and Greene King Abbot ale at the LCBO and I won't be trying the 6X as it was one of the worst cask ales I had in England. Courage Directors was equally bad.

I would prefer beer to be sold at the LCBO in bottles. Beer in cans just cheapens it in my eyes. Perhaps if there is a change of management in the LCBO they might change back to bottles but I wouldn't bet on it. I guess I'll have to buy English bottled ale at Consumers Beverages in Buffalo.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

esprit wrote:We have spoken to SN many times and they are adamant...if the LCBO cannot guarantee temperature controlled warehousing and retail display, they will not sell to the LCBO.
That's funny - I know someone who did a private order through the LCBO for a couple of cases of SN beers a year or two back, and had absolutely no problem getting 'em.

Maybe they're OK with it as long as it doesn't go into the retail system?