Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier in Ontario?! YES PLEASE!!!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was also able to pick up my order this week and found the process to be quite painless. No Unearthly though; mine was just IPA.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

I picked up my un*earthly today and it is really tasty. Thanks R&R keep us posted on the next order.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Here is some information from a Southern Tier press release. They are certainly making news (and they even mention Ontario)! Those of you who have ordered- enjoy the read as you sip a cold Southern Tier brew:)

Southern Tier Brewing Company Ranked in Top 50 in US

June 21, 2007 – Southern Tier Brewing Company has been listed in the top 50 American Breweries in the June 2007 issue of BeerAdvocate magazine. Of nearly 1400 breweries and brew pubs in the US, being named the top 2.5% (35th) is quite an achievement for the young company. This listing comes on the heals of the May/June 2007 issue of The New Brewer Journal of the Brewers Association which listed the brewery as the 39th largest in America in 2006, noting an increase in volume of 140% since 2005. In addition to these accolades, the 2007 Tap New York Beer Festival recently awarded Southern Tier’s ‘Unearthly’ Imperial India Pale Ale “Best Beer in New York State” at Hunter Mountain. ‘Unearthly’ was also named the 81st “Best Beer in the World” by BeerAdvocate in their May 2007 issue. The October issue of Bon Appétitmagazine will have an article featuring Southern Tier’s ‘Hoppe’ Imperial Extra Pale Ale.

Southern Tier Brewing Company of Lakewood, New York, has been in operation since 2004, and currently produces 6,000 barrels annually, equivalent to nearly 2 million bottles of beer. Beer drinkers in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, Washington, DC and Ontario, Canada are now enjoying hand crafted ales brewed in Lakewood, New York.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Roland + Russell

Due to demand we are starting yet another order for this great microbrewery. Please visit our website for pricing details and contact us by phone or email.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer!

Best regards,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

midlife crisis wrote:I was also able to pick up my order this week and found the process to be quite painless. No Unearthly though; mine was just IPA.
How did you find the IPA? I've had the Un*earthly before, but am consideing getting a case of their regular IPA.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lagerale wrote:How did you find the IPA? I've had the Un*earthly before, but am consideing getting a case of their regular IPA.
Both the IPA and the Phin & Matt's are excellent beers with a good hop bite to them. Neither is as aggressive as the Unearthly, but they're both great ales, perfect for sessions.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Love the IPA. For the price I'll likely always be getting a case on these orders.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

That's good to hear. The un*earthly is great once in a while, but its so strong (11%). The IPA at 6.5% seems more manageable.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I find the IPA to be excellent too. Similar to DFH 60.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

With a 3rd order just gone out (or about to?) is there any info as to when we should expect the 2nd order to arrive?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

midlife crisis wrote:I find the IPA to be excellent too. Similar to DFH 60.
I find that the ST IPA is a little less sweet than 60 Minute which puts its over top of the 60 Minute in my book.

Southern Tier is definitely one of the best breweries out there. I've only had 1 beer from them that I didn't like.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Blankboy wrote:With a 3rd order just gone out (or about to?) is there any info as to when we should expect the 2nd order to arrive?
The deposit charge showed up on my CC statement a couple weeks ago. I take that to be a good sign, though R&R tells me that the LCBO is backed up at the moment and that it still may be a while yet.

Roland + Russell

We received word late today that the Southern Tier order should reach the LCBO Private Ordering warehouse on August 9. We can't state though how much time will be required for the LCBO to release the product.

Roland + Russell will endeavour to keep you updated as best we can.

Regards,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Hey folks,
These comments about the IPA being similar o DFH 60 are about to convince me to grab a case!
I had been looking at the Harvest Ale however. It's interested me for awhile, but I guess I have some questions.....
- has anyone had teh Harvest Ale....can you compare it to any other brews available around here?
- I know it's seasonal, but if, by the other post, private orders for Xmas time need to get in 'now', I assume Harvest Ale could be added to a Souther Tier order at this time of year as delivery will be months down the road?
Obviously my decision is easier if Harvest Ale won't be possible for this impending order.
Cheers!

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I reviewed their Harvest Ale last year. I seem to have liked it.