Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Brewing set to open

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve-E

Post by Steve-E »

Thanks Rob. Hopefully we'll see you Saturday.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Do you have any set hour,s or are you still there pretty much all the time?

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

The brewery officially opened today at noon and I was fortunate enough to try the Plowman’s Ale from the tank at the brewery, on tap at the Castle and from one of the first growlers sold, and it was excellent every time. Rob mentions that the alpha hops reacted a little differently from the recipe’s transition from pilot brewery to the full capacity brewhouse….and boy is it hoppy and lip curling bitter…..I love it!!! I urge all “hopheads” to try this first batch, as the beer may not be this bitter in the future. I’ve had many different beers over the years, but I have to say that I have never had such a “BIG” beer that came in at only 4.7 %ABV. Absolutely amazing! Great work Rob and Bob and CONGRATULATIONS on finally getting the beer out the door.

Cheers.

PS: this beer reminds me of the old Taylor & Bate IPA...anyone else???

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

I can't compare it to an old IPA that is before my time, but i was impressed with the setup and the location, great potential once they get their hospitality room completed, and i love that the Growler Cooler is in an old safe.

I prefered the Ploughmans over the Knife, but both are solid session beers, i could see me sitting back with a growler and having a good evening...in fact, i plan to with my growler tonight when i get home from work :)

Pictures from our visit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N ... ngcompany/
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nice pics. I think I'll take a road trip to Cambridge and check things out soon!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

What's the story on the growler fills? Are you guys only filling your own branded growlers? Or could I fill my Stone growler with some Ploughman?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Hi Guys,

Yes we will fill other breweries growlers. One caveat - we have a bottle washer that has just arrived upon which we will clean and then fill your growler. We don't have the logistics worked out yet but you would do well to bring it clean and sealed at this stage. Within a few weeks we hopefully will have a slick system running to fill any 1.9L growler but we ain't there yet.

And yes we are looking at having US guest brews here under an importers licence for those about to suggest it. You know, 'the good stuff'!

BrewerDave

Post by BrewerDave »

Rob,

My name is Dave Lee and I recently graduated from the Siebel Institute in their International Brewing Technology Diploma Program. I was wondering if you needed any help over at Grand River Brewing. Let me know as I am eager to further my career and see this as a great opportunity. I can pass my resume along to you that details my education and past work experience including employment at an Ontario craft brewery.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers,

Dave

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Rob Creighton wrote:
You know, 'the good stuff'!
Well, it's probably better than the "ok stuff" like Labatt Blue :)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:Hi Guys

And yes we are looking at having US guest brews here under an importers licence for those about to suggest it. You know, 'the good stuff'!
Oh man..you guys are my gods 8) Can I reserve a place in your parking lot for my camper for extended "sessioning" with the "good stuff"? :wink:
Aventinus rules!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Rob Creighton wrote:Hi Guys,

Yes we will fill other breweries growlers. One caveat - we have a bottle washer that has just arrived upon which we will clean and then fill your growler. We don't have the logistics worked out yet but you would do well to bring it clean and sealed at this stage. Within a few weeks we hopefully will have a slick system running to fill any 1.9L growler but we ain't there yet.
Excellent!:D

I will be down within the week.:D

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I was down at the Castle tonight and I guess they ran out of the Grand River beers so I had to settle for a Brookyln instead.. Must be popular stuff there :)

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Hey Rob

Are you open this Sunday?

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

pootz wrote: Can I reserve a place in your parking lot for my camper for extended "sessioning" with the "good stuff"? :wink:
Park on the north side, the south lot is too small.

I'll be back there again on Friday afternoon, looking forward to it with the heat we have been having.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

wittaker wrote:Hey Rob

Are you open this Sunday?
Yup but we don't have set hours yet so I can't say definitively what they are. We're normally there by 10 and gone around 6 or 7.