Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Brewing set to open

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Grand River Brewing set to open

Post by pootz »

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_763027.html
Brewing up a new idea
Ray Martin, Cambridge
(Apr 12, 2007)

Bob Hannenberg and Rob Creighton have yet to officially tap their first keg, but businesses are already interested in selling their new beer.

Two years ago, Hannenberg needed a change after 35 years in the horse business. He decided to pursue his passion in craft brewing. He has since started the Grand River Brewing Company and is in the midst of setting up his brewery in a rundown red brick building at the south end of Ainslie Street.

"I was originally going to set the business up in Brantford. There are a lot of funky old buildings down there, but people are sitting on them thinking they are going to make big money," said Hannenberg. "My wife drives by this place every day on her way to work and told me to take a look. I walked in the door and fell in love with the place."

Hannenberg purchased the former Galt Knife building on Ainslie Street South, and has spent the last 18 months cleaning up and converting the former foundry to its new use.

"The low point had to be when if was freezing in here and we were power washing all the walls, but things are really starting to come together now," he said.

The former foundry has a linear layout with plenty of windows which is proving to be ideal for the new business. At one end of the building, a retail outlet and tasting room are being planned. The tasting room has large windows filling the east and west walls, and the roof is supported by thick, square wooden posts while overhead rests the large wooden rollers that once powered the plant's machinery.

Hannenberg has also saved several of the machines that were once used in the plant with the intention of cleaning them up to display in the tasting room. Once the business is running, Hannenberg plans to run plant tours and rent the tasting room out for private functions.

In the centre of the building Creighton is busy setting up the production facilities that will be the heart of the new brewery.

A self-proclaimed "hired gun", Creighton shies away from the title of

"brewmaster" and prefers the title bestowed on him by his friends.

"I'm the beer guy," he said. "A brewmaster sits in an office and runs the entire operation. I just want to make good beer."

Creighton has been a brewer for the last 30 years, starting with Labbatt and then moving on to help establish a series of smaller breweries across Ontario including Upper Canada, Algonquin, Sleemans, and Formosa.

Creighton joined the Grand River Brewing Company in February and intends to launch the new company with two primary beers - Plowman's Ale, a robust red-hued ale with 5.4 per cent alcohol and Galt Knife Old Style Lager.

In addition to primary production, Creighton plans to produce a series of seasonal brews which will be available for several months each year. What will set Grand River's beers apart from its competitors will be its water.

"The water here is really hard, which makes it ideal for our purposes," he said. "Cambridge has a long history of brewing and we'll be carrying that on here."

Hannenberg and Creighton hope to crank up their brewing operations by the end of the month and will definitely have products on the market this summer.

They wares won't be found any time soon at the Beer Store, though. Instead they intend to grow their market with on-site sales and through a number of area restaurants and taverns who have already expressed an interest in having Grand River beers on tap.

"There seems to be a real pent-up demand for beers like ours in the market and we want to meet that need," Creighton said.

The new business is even growing an environmental conscience. Creighton said the beers produced will be unpasteurized, which will significantly reduce water use in production. Used grain will be recycled into animal feed and the brewery's large windows will reduce electricity used for lighting.
I'm really looking forward to tasting the "old styled" lager....I can visualize a few "noggins" of that sliding down :wink:

Interesting to see what the hard water/pH will do for GR's hearty lager.
Aventinus rules!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

What sort of tastes can we expect in this Plowman's Ale? Looking forward to trying that one, especially since awhile back it was mentioned that they were planning to use cascade hops in one of their beers. :D

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

"The water here is really hard, which makes it ideal for our purposes," he said. "Cambridge has a long history of brewing and we'll be carrying that on here."
This indeed will make a differnce if it comes from a well source. Hard cabonate water is the strength of Munich breweries and one of the reasons the pioneer German lager brewers were attracted to this region on the Haldimand tract...always noted for its well water which perculates up through ancient dolomitic limestone.

It also means that GRB will be the only brewer in the area using local well water?...the only other brewer in the region uses soft, mineralized spring water from Formosa for it's craft beers.....not sure what goes on in Guelph but I suspect both brewers there use the city source water and filter and condition.

This makes me all the more excited to try the GRB brews.
Aventinus rules!

clasher

Post by clasher »

Can't wait until the doors open. Maybe we'll see some seasonal casks too?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Hi Folks,

Sorry I'm a little late in following up but things are kind of hectic.
The building in south Galt (on Ainslie St where it merges with Water St to become Hwy #24 going to Brantford) is a great location for a brewery. It is an historical foundary building that is ideally suited for a brewery and has matching windows front and back which makes for great light in the building. The idea is to be as energy, liquid and product efficient as possible and long term were considering alternative energy options once we complete an audit.

We should have had the website up with reno pictures but we're having problems with our web design human. Hopefully soon.

We've been working on a variety of trials for our flagship brands and have done tastings at the Kiwi in Cambridge, Castle in Kitchener, Copper Kettle in Fergus and Shepherds Pub in Elora. We have one more Thursday at the Wooly in Guelph.

The Plowman's Ale will be a robust, deeply flavoured ale with multiple malts and hops. I'm experimenting with some of the American 'super-alpha' hops blended with some new and traditional aroma hops. The Galt Knife Old Style is a variation of a beer style that was popular in the region in the late 1800's in breweries like Rock Springs from Preston and Western Steam in Strathroy. Malty body balanced with a generous amount of floral hops. I discovered that the area where the Speed and Grand Rivers join was a significant hop growing area during this period and supplied to breweries all over North America. Who knew?

We will also be doing a series of seasonals and specialties where I hope to experiment with a lot of different styles including Bourbon Barrel aged beers. We have already brewed a trial Mild which has been fun and I plan to brew our Christmas brew by July 1. And yes we will be doing cask ale as soon as we can acquire some firkins and/or pins. We have two 8 HL Grundy tanks in our cold room which will allow us to cold age some bigger beers and we plan to really open the brewery to tours so plan to come out.

The plan is to be open as soon as possible (mid May) with 50L kegs, 20L kegs, 1.9L growlers and a 500ML bottle we've dubbed the 'super-stubby'.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Sounds promising, thanks for the update Rob.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm experimenting with some of the American 'super-alpha' hops blended with some new and traditional aroma hops.
There ya go Dragon/Lister....juicy Pac NW alphas 8)
The Galt Knife Old Style is a variation of a beer style that was popular in the region in the late 1800's in breweries like Rock Springs from Preston and Western Steam in Strathroy. Malty body balanced with a generous amount of floral hops.

Interesting, you seem to be as familiar in local brewing history as Ian Bowering Rob. I welcome the opportunity to sit down with a pint and chat about brewing history in the region as collecting its brewerainia is a growing hobby with me. I was aware of the old rock springs brewery in Preston, but I thought the old Strathroy brewery was the "west end brewing and malting company" and I think there was a Bixel (sp?) brewery in Strathroy as well...be great to lay your hands on some historic brewer's notes from these enterprises. 8)

Now I'm really motivated to get some GRB I love it when a local revives an older historic local style or branded brew....drinking these beers is taking in local history with a great side benefit :wink:

I discovered that the area where the Speed and Grand Rivers join was a significant hop growing area during this period and supplied to breweries all over North America. Who knew?
Seems natural given the concentration of brewers in the area, but certainly something I have never seen in local history texts.

The plan is to be open as soon as possible (mid May) with 50L kegs, 20L kegs, 1.9L growlers and a 500ML bottle we've dubbed the 'super-stubby'.
Growlers? ..my beer store days are over 8)

Really looking forward to the opening Rob.
Aventinus rules!

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Keep us posted Rob, i look forward to another reason to go back to the KW-Cambridge Area, and if the building is as nice as it sounds (i love old industrial architecture), i can't wait to see it and take some shots in and around it!!
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

dyet

Post by dyet »

Just drove by the old Galt Knife factory this weekend (Grand River's homestead) .....just wondering does anybody know what the status is for opening?

When I was a kid I lived directly behind the The ole Galt Knife building (late 70's-early80's) and I always thought (even when i was a kid) man this place has potential....

When it was abondoned in the early 80'ish I confess I was rebel and threw a couple rocks threw the window...umm...sorry Rob....I feel better now owing up to that.....

Can't wait for the "Super-Stubby"

8)

p.s. no worries I won't throw any rocks I am more mature now :wink:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Last I heard the opening was on line for June 23......Rob? :-? 8)
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Okay, note to self...dyet...rock thrower...hmmm.

After many long months and the usual mayhem and madness, I am preparing to filter our 1st batch today (June 13th). Kegs will start showing up this weekend at the Kiwi in Cambridge, the Castle in Kitchener, the Arms in Guelph and the Shepherds Pub in Elora. We still do not have our 20 litre kegs which will delay bringing some accounts online and our growlers are not scheduled to arrive until next week now so we won't have product available in glass until they do. We will have the Galt Knife Old Style and the Plowman's Ale available at a number of venues in the Cambridge, K-W Guelph, Brantford and points south and east but this will take a few days to get organized. The 500ml will be delayed a month or so in order to straighten our existing dilemma's.

All in all, everything is going according to Hoyle. I think today is my 75th straight work day. Almost there :D

dyet

Post by dyet »

Thanks Rob for the info....

Awesome!....Kiwi here I come!

Dave

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob, is Herold getting the ale or lager?? Where can I sample the lager fer sure?
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Had some of the old style lager at the castle yesterday......big and hoppy...can you tell us some more about who was making this style of beer locally in the past Rob?

Is this like the famous Strathroy beer?

I got a distinct impression that it was much like a steam beer style.

Love the color and nose.
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The hop levels of 1800's are a matter of debate (and brewers interpretation :D ) as to intensity and variety. I spoke to one of the Kuntz descendents the other day who said recipes he has seen are very vague and often refer to hops regionally (where the hops are from). Page 64 from Sleeman's grand dads book lists "hops from New York" which leaves it pretty wide open.

In the mid 1800's, the local area here had a number of hop growing farms - Burford Road in Brantford and the forks of the Speed and Grand rivers - which employed hundreds of people at harvest time.

I have seen a number of references to 'deep golden' and 'copper-coloured' elixirs in reference to some of these products and of course the 'steam' or 'cream' descriptions are fairly common here. I am sure that the alcohol levels of that time period are higher than the 4.4% I put into the Galt Knife Old Style but I aimed to pack as much flavour and mouthfeel in as possible. We don't do Coors Light here and we don't intend to charge just a buck for it either.

Glad you enjoyed it Pootz. Cheers!