Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Single malt

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Manul

Post by Manul »

Are there other single malt fans among the bar towel regulars? Maybe we can open a separate discussion topic on the subject. Any opinions?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Manul, if you love single malts, you should make a trip to Feathers Pub on Kingston Rd in The Beach area. Ian, the owner is a proud Scot and an even prouder owner of some of the rarest malt whiskys to be found in Canada. Those on display are merely a handful of what he has in his cellar, which contains a special room devoted to single malt. Get friendly with him and perhaps he'll take you downstairs for a look.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

If you are ever in Cape Breton, you must check out the Glenora Distillery. Apparently, they are the only single malt whiskey distillery in North America. They can't call it Scotch as it isn't made in Scotland.

Frankley, they did a better job with their tour than any of the Breweries I visited this summer. The setting is also idyllic. Anyway, more on that when I get my On the Road Report finished (Soon, I hope. Sorry Cass.)

Their website is at http://www.glenoradistillery.com

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jcappadocia on 2002-08-31 10:17 ]</font>

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2002-08-31 10:14, jcappadocia wrote:
If you are ever in Cape Breton, you must check out the Glenora Distillery. Apparently, they are the only single malt whiskey distillery in North America. They can't call it Scotch as it isn't made in Scotland.
I don't think most of the people in Scotland call their whisky "Scotch". Wasn't that name applied to it by folks in North America to differentiate it from the rye whiskey, bourbon, etc. that is produced over here?

As for Glenora's single malt, Glen Breton - I bought a bottle of their first release (2000) when I was in Nova Scotia at Christmas, 2000 and I wasn't too impressed with it. It's not the worst single malt I've ever tried, but it doesn't have much character to speak of. I see that the LCBO has brought in their 2001 bottling which I wouldn't mind trying to see if it's improved, but it's a bit on the pricey side ($90) for such a risky experiment.

Greg

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm a big single malt fan. I have a modest collection of about 18 bottles, mostly Islay distilleries and of them mostly Lag's Bowmore's and Ardbeg's. I've seen the Glenora offering a couple of times but have avoided buying it as I've yet to read a reputable review OR taste it at a sampling event. Can anyone point to a published or web based review of it?

For anyone who likes Lag 16 I'd strongly suggest buying it in any province other than Ontario. For some mysterious reason the LCBO charges $89+ for it whereas the Quebec SAQ charges only $62 for the same product. The prices aren't cheaper across the board in Quebec though, Macallan, Laphroig and Bowmore are all a few $ cheaper here than there. I'd also highly recommend the SAQ Signature boutique on DeMaisoneuve (spelling?) and Peel (I think that's the cross street?). They have an exceptional selection of rare and wonderful scotches there at decent prices. I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 1977 last week for $147...you can't even buy that in Ontario.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Just a note: I know nothing about single-malt whiskey. Furthermore, I was neither recommending nor not recommending Glenora's product. I was just saying they do a great job at the distillery. :smile:

A further note: The 2001 release is 9 year-old. It was, I was told, brewed/distilled at the same time as last year's release just aged an extra year in the barrel, obivously.

Cheers, Joe.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Hi Jon,
You are right about Lagavulin 16. I just bought a few bottles in Germany for almost half price of what it goes in Ontario for. As for the SAQ price, sounds nice but if you really want to buy a bottle it's nowhere to be found - or maybe I was unlucky.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

For anyone who likes Lag 16 I'd strongly suggest buying it in any province other than Ontario. For some mysterious reason the LCBO charges $89+ for it whereas the Quebec SAQ charges only $62 for the same product.
Jon,

It's too bad they can't deliver to Ontario. I like the Lag 16, and would be happy to save almost $30 / bottle. Unfortunately, driving to Quebec would kind of eliminate the savings. Although, I could pick up some beer as well...

Is there a website for SAQ? I'd be interested to see some of their other prices. Actually, I just found it at the obvious http://www.saq.com.

Andrew

efman

Post by efman »

...or try the US border..Duty Free Single malts(about 10 types) are about $20 Can less and are 1 litre instead of 750 ml!!