Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lake Placid, New York

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer Geek

Lake Placid, New York

Post by Beer Geek »

So I’m heading down to Lake Placid this long weekend to celebrate our five year wedding anniversary. Yes, I’ve invited my wife to come too!

We’ll be leaving from my sisters in Cornwall and the plan is to hit the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery for some UBU and will also hit up the Adirondack Pub & Brewery when we visit the OUtlets in Lake George. I may hit Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood Company, but I was not very impressed with this place the last time I was there. On the way back I’ll be taking a detour to Canton to pick up some bottles at Bessettes. I’ve been to all these places before, aside from the Adirondack Pub and Brewery, but was wondering if any of you eastern Ontario folks know of some other places I should hit while in the area?

Cheers,

Jay

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I can't add anything to your list but I would call Bessettes to check if they will get their monthly delivery before you get there (maybe you already know that). I was there on Tuesday and the pickings were slim for what I was looking for. I left with the last two 6s of DFH 60 minute, one of the last two 12s of SNPA, a 6 of Saranac IPA (I saw one left), a 6 of Geary's pale ale (lots left), a 6 of Thousand Islands pale ale (several left), and a 6 of DFH Indian Brown ale (a couple left). There were no 6s of Stone left (but there were some bombers of Arrogant Bastard).

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Hope I am not too late but if I were you I would be looking to grab growlers of the beers available along the way from Lake Placid, Adirondack Brew Pub, Coopers Cave and Davidson Brothers. And if you are going to be as far south as Lake George, you really should get yourself to Oliver's in Albany. Plus come back up or head down on the Vermont side of Lake Champlain and add some of those ones, too.

And find some Saranac Imperial IPA.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

thanks guys, I now wish I had an extra couple of days to travel around. May just make the extra 20 min drive from Lake George to Glens Falls...but then it's only an hour to Abany. I'll see what the wife says :wink:

thanks again

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Al of Kingston wrote:Hope I am not too late but if I were you I would be looking to grab growlers of the beers available along the way from Lake Placid, Adirondack Brew Pub, Coopers Cave and Davidson Brothers. And if you are going to be as far south as Lake George, you really should get yourself to Oliver's in Albany. Plus come back up or head down on the Vermont side of Lake Champlain and add some of those ones, too.

And find some Saranac Imperial IPA.
I would be weary of anything from Coopers Cave. My family vacations in Lake George every year. After three straight years of trying coopers cave products I have yet to get a bottle that is not infected. The reviews on Ratebeer support this constant infection issue..

-rudy

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

In Potsdam, you can stop at CJs and Maxfields:

http://ratebeer.com/Places/FindPlacesBy ... ty=Potsdam

For cheeses, go to :
http://www.potsdamcoop.com/

For cheap Vermont Cabot Cheese, there is , of all places, a Giant Tiger across from CJs, where you can buy a 200g bar for less than 2$. The store next door, Hacketts, usually has good prices on clothing, like Colombia, Patagonia, etc....

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I would be weary of anything from Coopers Cave.
That is too bad as Lew Bryson wrote highly of them in New York Breweries but that was likely researched five or six years ago now.