Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brick Waterloo Wheat launched

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Brick Waterloo Wheat launched

Post by pootz »

Actually patterned on a Belgian wit:

http://www.brickbeer.com/html/wheat_ontap.html
Waterloo Wheat
Waterloo, Ontario June 25th, 2007 – Brick Brewing Co Limited (TSX: BRB), Ontario’s largest, locally operated brewery is pleased to announce its partnership with the City of Waterloo to celebrate their sesquicentennial birthday.

Especially hand-crafted to commemorate Waterloo’s 150th celebration, Brick is pleased to launch Waterloo Wheat, a refreshing, light-bodied "Belgian style Wit” (white) beer that gets its name due to it’s cloudy, or white appearance. Waterloo Wheat is brewed with unique ingredients such as orange peel and coriander resulting in a refreshing and slightly citrus flavor that is extremely smooth and makes for a great beer to enjoy during the "dog days” of summer.

Waterloo Wheat will be available exclusively at LCBO stores in the Waterloo region for a limited time only. It will be available in 650 ml bottles and on draft in selected Waterloo pubs and bars from June through August.

"Brick is extremely proud to be part of Waterloo and even more proud to hand craft this special brew for our hometown”, says Jim Brickman, Executive Chairman, and Founder of Brick.

"We’re very appreciative that Brick Brewing Co is taking the time to help us celebrate Waterloo’s 150th Anniversary with this very special commemorative brew. The fact that it’s only available in LCBO stores within the greater Waterloo region makes it that much more special to the community” says Brenda Halloran, Mayor of the City of Waterloo.

Be sure to drop by any of the following LCBO stores to try a sample and purchase a bottle of this commemorative brew.
Last edited by pootz on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

http://tinyurl.com/2rz9hy

Mayor urges Brick to stay

MICHAEL HAMMOND

PHILIP WALKER, RECORD STAFF

Jim Brickman, founder of Brick Brewing, joins Waterloo Mayor Brenda Halloran in a toast to the Waterloo brewery's new beer, Waterloo Wheat, launched in honour of Waterloo's 150th anniversary. Halloran also urged the company to maintain a local presence, even if bought out by another brewer.

WATERLOO (Jun 28, 2007)

Brick Brewing Co. Limited is raising a glass to its hometown.

The brewer launched its limited edition Waterloo Wheat Beer yesterday in downtown Waterloo to mark the city's 150th birthday.

Waterloo Mayor Brenda Halloran lauded the new Belgian-style wheat beer at the event, while urging Brick to retain its local presence even if it ends up being purchased.

"They have been such a strong corporate citizen," she said.

Brick is expected to reveal the details of its strategic review of operations in the coming weeks. The brewery launched the review May 14 when it hired CIBC World Markets to look at its operations and investigate the merits of a possible sale, among other options.

During yesterday's launch at the LCBO store at King and William streets, Brick's founder and executive chair, Jim Brickman, would only say that he expects to have details of the review ready to release in the coming weeks.

Halloran said it makes sense for Brick to stay in Waterloo, since the city has always been friendly to the brewing industry.

David Kuntz opened the Spring Brewery in 1844, which was the city's first. That brewery changed ownership a number of times. Carling O'Keefe began brewing in the city in the early 1940s at King and William streets. Labatt took over the Carling plant and operated a brewery there from 1977 to 1993.

Waterloo Wheat will be sold in 650-millilitre bottles at LCBO stores throughout Waterloo Region. It will also be available at the Brick's store on King Street as well as LCBO outlets in Elora, Fergus and Guelph. Several Waterloo pubs will also serve the beer on draft.

The special brew will be available for a month or until supplies last.

Brickman said his company experimented with a few recipes before coming up with the wheat beer.

The process of producing a special brew was a labour of love, he said.

"I love it here. I raised a family here. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but Waterloo."

The beer is also known as a white beer because of its cloudy white appearance. The brew contains orange peel and coriander, which give it a hint of citrus flavour.

The brewer tested the beer in the region and in Toronto a month ago. Brick marketing manager Sean Dennis said customers scooped up four cases just minutes after tasting samples.

Launching a limited edition beer required integrating special bottles and larger labels into the production process at Brick's packaging plant in Kitchener. Brickman said the Bingemans Centre Drive facility is flexible enough to handle the limited run.

The new beer features Brick's warthog mascot on a gold label that is similar to the Waterloo Dark label.

Meanwhile, in Cambridge, Grand River Brewing Co. has begun selling its first two beers, Ploughman's Ale and Galt Knife Old Style Lager, to area pubs.

The two brands are also sold in 1.9-litre bottles at the brewery's Ainslie Street store in old Galt.

Robert Hannenberg, the brewery's president and owner, said he plans to launch a third brand, Mill Race Mild, for the Mill Race Festival in old downtown Galt beginning Aug. 3.

The brewery plans to sell its beer in 500-millilitre bottles at LCBO outlets in the coming months, he said.
Aventinus rules!

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

It would be a real shame if the Brick was to leave Waterloo. I can remember going to the brewery on Sundays, when the Beer Store was closed to get beer. That is actually what started me on my path to drinking good beer.

I drink Red Cap when my intent is to just bbq drink with the boys.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

pootz wrote:Actually patterned on a Belgian wit:
No doubt just the PC wit in bigger bottles....

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

lagerale wrote:
pootz wrote:Actually patterned on a Belgian wit:
No doubt just the PC wit in bigger bottles....
I don't think so....I sampled 3 prototype wheat beers at the Brick last winter one was semi filtered and rather bland.....seems that one went on to become the PC Blanche.

The other 2 were pretty good renditions of Hoegaarden or Celis White....I'm assuming this is what Jim had made to put the Brick label on.

I'll let you know tonight, I'm going to buy a supply at the brewery today.
Last edited by pootz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:
lagerale wrote:No doubt just the PC wit in bigger bottles....
I don't think so...
You're likely right, pootz. When I spoke to a Brick rep at that laughable Beer & Cocktail Show at the Distillery a few weeks ago, he mentioned Brick Wheat was coming, and that it was a different beer from the Blanche.

I got the impression that if Brick wanted to rebrand a PC beer as a Brick one (or vice versa), their contract with PC wouldn't allow them to do so, as PC is very particular about their beers being made from exclusive recipes.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I was being a little facetious there....I too would expect them to use one of the other variations they developed. But it is a smart way to expand the portfolio - develop a beer for someone else, then use of the prototypes for your own brand (again, overly simplistic, but there must be some truth there).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Hey, if this turns out to be a decent effort at a Belgian Wit, at $3.25 a bomber you can't miss this white as THE bargain of the year......now if Jim would only drive the same effort to put their Bock in bombers at less than 5 bucks, we'd be saying some great things about Brick's great value for quality. 8)
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:Hey, if this turns out to be a decent effort at a Belgian Wit, at $3.25 a bomber you can't miss this white as THE bargain of the year......now if Jim would only drive the same effort to put their Bock in bombers at less than 5 bucks, we'd be saying some great things about Brick's great value for quality. 8)
tried a bottle this afternoon. was underwhelmed. really didn't get much of the citrus i expect out of a wit. a hint of spice, but not really enough for my liking. and it's got a funk somewhat reminiscent of a creemore, if you like that kind of thing. not a bad beer, but not particularly flavourful. can't say i'm particularly shocked.
nice colour and haze, though.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

After having had 4 or more bottles of this over a while now, I'm not prepared to say I'm underwhemed but this was a fairly pedestrian effort at a wit....better than the PC Blanche and Rickard's white but still as Touque says; a bit lacking in the orange bite.

I can however offer some advice to help you enjoy what this beer has to offer...first don't be afraid to get it cold...that brings up the spritzy dry character...second get a large glass (or two smaller ones) so you can drain the bottle in one pour...

....treat this like a hefeweizen...it has a tendency to have the wheat and yeast lees drop out to the bottom of the bottle as it sits, so pour 4/5s of the bottle and swirl the last bit in the bottle to get all the lees and pour them in the glass/glasses.

This will also give some more spice and dryness that you may miss if you let the lees stay in the bottle.
Aventinus rules!