Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Chimay White Cap

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Chimay White Cap

Post by Belgian »

How come I see this in stores by the seasonals?

I mean I love it, but why is it here...
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

This is a new permanent General Listing so it really should not be in the seasonal secton. Price per 330ml bottle is $2.95 plus 10 cent deposit which I think represents a great value for a Trappist Tripel. Our last consignment order sold at $3.75 with no deposit. White Cap regularly sells in the States for between USD4.95-USD6.95.

I hope those of you who enjoy Belgian beers will support this newest Belgian listing as it's the only way we'll get more Belgians on the shelves permanently.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Nice, I have actually been looking to pick some of this up.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

It wouldn't have been my first choice for a General listing. Granted, I'm not a Chimay fan, but don't we already have comparable alternatives like Fin du Monde and Affligem Blond?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'm glad it's on general list. I prefer it to the red. I really hope they add the blue.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Bill at Queen's Quay also said to expect Rogue Dead Guy on general list.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Gedge wrote:Bill at Queen's Quay also said to expect Rogue Dead Guy on general list.
That's nice, but I can think of lots of other Rogue beer I would rather see. I wonder how it was chosen?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

God knows. We're talking about an organization that still isn't selling half it's "special" summer releases with only six weeks to go til Labour Day.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Gedge wrote:Bill at Queen's Quay also said to expect Rogue Dead Guy on general list.
Oh excellent! Time to drink up my stock. :D

Though I do wish many more of Rogue's beers were available. I certainly would like to restock on the Hazelnut Brown and try many more.
lister

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

too bad my least favourite chimay. As for Rogue I sure wish it was the choc stout we'd carry, oh well. Wonder if the Liefmans is getting scrapped for the seasonals.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Jan Primus wrote: Wonder if the Liefmans is getting scrapped for the seasonals.
the goudenband has been gassed from the summer release.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

In that case this is the worst release ever, way to outdo yourselves LCBO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Goudenband has f-kked us over before!

Rogue Dead Guy is not bad stuff but any bottle from the LAST release we had is way past its prime IMO! The flavors come apart a bit. I feel it is best enjoyed 3-6 months from bottling which makes it a fair candidate for Gen List. Plus it may serve as a a 'gateway' listing for Rogue to (hopefully) stack on a few seasonals on its regular shipments - beers like Shakespeare, Chocolate and Brutal Bitter. CS lasts for years so that would be cool to stock up if it were seasonal.

Chimay White Cap is not too bad really - it doesn't have the open hoppy freshness of Westmalle Tripel when that one is new, but the Chimay seems to age a bit more gracefully. Without any presumptions, I always suggest people give White Cap at least a few tries before shitcanning it as a mere 'commercial' Trappist. The beer has character and real merit.
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I'm not gonna shitcan Chimay as the Blue probably makes my top 10. The red is nice too but the white just doesn't suit my taste buds, kind of like Orval you love it or hate it. Looks like the white & red are very similarly regarded on ratebeer.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I thoroughly enjoy the white cap. Honestly, I haven't even gone to look forthe summer releases yet because they were so sporadic / late, whatever.
Maybe I'll go grab some white caps and see what else is kicking around.
Agreed that blue is my fave Chimay.