Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hello. Coming to Toronto.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

glugg

Hello. Coming to Toronto.

Post by glugg »

Hello. I`ve been lurking here for quite a while now, it`s about time I said hello. I`m coming over to Toronto at the end of September to run in the marathon and I`m really looking forward to getting stuck into as much of your beers as I can in a week!. If you can recommend any beers and bars and any does or donts for my visit please let me know.
Cheers.
Gordon.
Nottingham, England :D

Beer Wench

Post by Beer Wench »

Gordon,

You are a veritable model of beer and athleticism. I like it. Anyway, I used be the overseas CAMRA contact for Toronto, and 'd be happy to share with you the information I would send to members travelling to Toronto in search of a good pint. I can e-mail this to you if you are interested.

Re: the beers, Ontario has seen a surge of excellent micro-brewed beers over the last so many years, and I don't think you will be short of something tasty to try. And the best thing, in my opinion, is that you can get a smashing pint of real ale here as well. If you have visited North America before, you will likely be aware already of the more 'hoppy' characteristics of some North American beers. Some pale ales, for example, are often considerably higher in IBUs than you may be used to in the UK. Having said that, there are some very English style bitters here too, my favourite of which would include Granite Best Bitter, MacLean's Pale Ale, County Durham Signature Ale and Wellington Arkell Best Bitter. For beers with a bit more of a rebellious personality, you need only to read the postings in the 'Beer Reviews' and other forums here on Bar Towel to get the low down on them.

Re: the Bars, Toronto has some great watering holes, several of which really showcase Ontario microbreweries. The website: http://alltorontopubs.com which was posted earlier by Greg Clow is a useful tool for locating good pubs, and you can find pubs serving real ales using the "Cask Ale" selection. C'est What probably has the best selection of real ales in the city, as far as I know, and many other Ontario micro beers too. My other favourites would inlcude Caffe Volo and, well I have to say it don't I, the Victory Cafe.

I would also recommend you keep an eye on the Bar Towel News page for any beer events that may be on while you are here.

Happy drinking! Oh, and good luck in the marathon.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

glugg

Post by glugg »

Hello Beer Wench.
The Victory Cafe is on my "to do list" please email me all the good beer stuff.
gordon.fletcher3@ntlworld.com.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Hi glugg:

Two absolute musts, in my opinion, are Volo Cafe and the Mill Street Brewpub. Also, check out www.ratebeer.com for some good advice.

If you can, let us know when you will be where, and you might be able to meet up with a few of us.

Cheers,

Joe.

P.S. Interesting that a person coming here to run a marathon also wants to get "stuck into as much of your beer as I can." :-)

glugg

Post by glugg »

It`s thirsty work Joey :lol: