Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB Discovery Pack = pathetic

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

A
Bar Fly

OCB Discovery Pack = pathetic

Post by A »

I mean really - couldn't there be at least *one* bold interesting beer in there?

What are they hoping that people discover - that ontario craft beer all tastes the same? Looks like it!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, that was pretty much my reaction when i saw the announcement email. the most mediocre sixer the OCB could have put together. what a waste.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

On top of the fact that the beers they've included aren't all that distinctive, I can't imagine the LCBO isn't going to have problems with the Organic Lager bouncing around in the 6 pack because it doesn't fit as well as the others. Unless there's some kind of special divider in the box that keeps that from happening or some gentle handling, I'd expect some broken bottle complaints.

On a more "personal peeve" note, with all the money the OCB is getting from the government for marketing, couldn't they get a better proofreader?

ctalbot

Post by ctalbot »

Bobbyok wrote:On a more "personal peeve" note, with all the money the OCB is getting from the government for marketing, couldn't they get a better proofreader?
What exactly are "tasing notes?" ;)

Chris

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ctalbot wrote:What exactly are "tasing notes?" ;)
that's when you write about your experience being hit by a taser. ;)

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

"Dont Tase Me, Bro!"

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

But in Ontario you can get as many different kinds of pale ale as you want!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

viggo wrote:But in Ontario you can get as many different kinds of pale ale as you want!
don't forget all those spectacular light lagers!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Not to be an OCB apologist, but I really dn't think this mixed pack was focused at the seasoned micro head.
Aventinus rules!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Hi,

Got to agree with Pootz on his point.

If you are on this site and in this forum, this "tasting pack" is a been there-done that 6-pack. But for people who still haven't clued in that better beer is available, but they don't want to shell out $12 for 6 of something they may not like, it's a pretty good introduction (though I personally really disagree with the Brickman being in there)

Cheers

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Bobbyok wrote: can't imagine the LCBO isn't going to have problems with the Organic Lager bouncing around in the 6 pack because it doesn't fit as well as the others. Unless there's some kind of special divider in the box
actually, there is. it's an extra cardboard divider which surprisingly kept it relatively snug. as far as the actual beer in this pack, it was pretty undistinguished. it's the first of a series, apparently, though, so maybe the future ones will be more interesting? sigh...
hey, let's come up with our own ocb suggestions. here's my ``come to the dark side'' OCB mix-six.
Wellington RIS
Scotch-Irish Tsari...oops. Colonel By RIS
Scotch-Irish Black Irish Plain Porter
Hockley Valley Dark
Neustadt WD40
Mill St. Coffee Porter
Last edited by tuqueboy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

jaymack wrote:If you are on this site and in this forum, this "tasting pack" is a been there-done that 6-pack. But for people who still haven't clued in that better beer is available, but they don't want to shell out $12 for 6 of something they may not like, it's a pretty good introduction (though I personally really disagree with the Brickman being in there)
while i agree that this pack isn't aimed at us, i still think it's missing the mark. the same person who wouldn't want to pay $12 for a sixer of something they "might not like" will probably still not buy this mixer for the same reason, or be unhappy paying $12 for something so close to what they drink already. to me, the point is to be something different and new and better than the run-of-the mill crap.

what about showcasing the best offerings from our best breweries instead of this "meh" crowd? a little black oak (pale or nut brown), scotch irish (sgt in its prime, black irish, or even tsarina), wellington (dark, arkell, iron duke), etc. expose them to new and different tastes, and some variety.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The JR Brickman Pilsner is questionable to me since there are so few beers I find literally unpalatable.

But then, even Mr. Beaumont supported it (in his usual highly literate manner) in the latest LCBO "Food & Drink" magazine, so maybe I got a particularly harsh few bottles.

Either way, I will gladly buy this OCBA pack to re-visit these - I am typically very hard on these kinds of selections because they are "unchallenging" . The odd objective reassessment of any beer can be fun, and in this case it's very convenient. It's a great achievement the OCBA has come together enough to produce ANY six-mixer case.

Maybe I'll even like the Pilsner more this time. So bring it on, Ontario - even "everyday drinkers" like a good lager can be shining examples of the brewers' highest production ethics.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

grub wrote:
what about showcasing the best offerings from our best breweries instead of this "meh" crowd? a little black oak (pale or nut brown), scotch irish (sgt in its prime, black irish, or even tsarina), wellington (dark, arkell, iron duke), etc. expose them to new and different tastes, and some variety.
agreed. in addition to my ``dark side'' pack, how about a Hops pack:
--Sgt. Major
--Grand River Plowman's (if rob ever gets the bottling going)
--Mill St. Pale Ale
--Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale
--Black Oak Pale Ale
--Hop Addict (find a way to bottle it, damnit)

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote:The JR Brickman Pilsner is questionable to me since there are so few beers I find literally unpalatable (the word 'soapy' comes to mind.)
I don't know. I didn't mind it too much most times I've had it. The biggest problem i had in a couple bottles was there was tonnes of diacetyl -- i like buttered popcorn WITH my beer, not IN it.