Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

As someone who likes sweet lambics, I find the St Louis Gueuze to be awful compared to Mort Subite's.

I like the Innis & Gunn beers. They're something different to try. I'd say though that of the three that have been brought in, I can't really tell the difference between them.
lister

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

lister wrote:As someone who likes sweet lambics, I find the St Louis Gueuze to be awful compared to Mort Subite's.
I'm not fond of sweet lambics, but I completely agree.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

More on Innis & Gunn:

Sorry, it tastes not so much like butter, but more like "I can't believe it's not butter!", or margarine. It's been described as tasting like that to me on more than one occasion. Personally, I feel that the whiskey and barrel flavours get pretty nauseating after about 2 seconds in the mouth. To me it seems like whiskey with a hint of beer, and some vanilla butterscotch thrown in for fun, and to add that much more sweetness.

But if you liked it and thought it was interesting well then great. There's an LCBO in uptown Waterloo that has enough Innis & Gunn to last for years. To each his own.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JesseM wrote:More on Innis & Gunn:

Sorry, it tastes not so much like butter, but more like "I can't believe it's not butter!", or margarine. It's been described as tasting like that to me on more than one occasion. Personally, I feel that the whiskey and barrel flavours get pretty nauseating after about 2 seconds in the mouth. To me it seems like whiskey with a hint of beer, and some vanilla butterscotch thrown in for fun, and to add that much more sweetness.
i really don't enjoy the regular innis and gunn. i don't really recall butter, but there's way too much vanilla for my taste. i find the vanilla and barrel really overpowers and it's hard to find much else in there.

however, i rather enjoyed the limited edition IPA. this one has a much more balanced barrel character to me, with more whiskey than vanilla. i didn't really find it to be much of an IPA but still liked it anyway. i'd happily drink more of this one.

guess it's one of those 'to each his own' kind of things.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

JesseM wrote:I'm pretty sure the Old Engine Oil and the Gueze don't exist outside of the GTA. Which really sucks. We're still dealing with Yankee Jim "Ice Bock" and Innis & Gunn's butter flavoured "IPA" Special Edition (which I've heard pairs well with popcorn). :cry:

The Engine Oil is in Peterborough now, but not many - there were maybe 6 left after I bought my 6. (Probably a couple of cases more in back - there wasn't much space). No gueuze, though. Many of the Winter Warmers are still available there, as well.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:Does anyone know why the gueuze is turning up? Is it part of a long-delayed release or a new addition to the regular lineup? I couldn't see anything else in the forums.
It appears to be an early arrival from the upcoming Spring release.

I should have the full confirmed list for that release soon, and will start a new thread for it then.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GregClow wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Does anyone know why the gueuze is turning up? Is it part of a long-delayed release or a new addition to the regular lineup? I couldn't see anything else in the forums.
It appears to be an early arrival from the upcoming Spring release.

I should have the full confirmed list for that release soon, and will start a new thread for it then.
Greg, your a fount of information! Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Andicus wrote:
lister wrote:As someone who likes sweet lambics, I find the St Louis Gueuze to be awful compared to Mort Subite's.
I'm not fond of sweet lambics, but I completely agree.
I remember liking Belle vue Gueuze some years back... it was nothing real esoteric but it seemed to be a well-made, highly drinkable Gueuze with a little character.

I can't say that about most other three-dollar lambics to be quite honest.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

My God this Old Engine Oil is good. Can't blinking believe it. My new favourite beer, hands down. Creamy goodness.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This may be old news already but I was at Cooper St. today and the Old Engine was there (maybe 15 bottles on display), as well as the whole Neustadt lineup, and nicely chilled too. I depleted the Scottish Pale Ale supply.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

JesseM: couldn't agree more. I find both those Innis & Gunn beers nauseating.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

midlife crisis wrote:JesseM: couldn't agree more. I find both those Innis & Gunn beers nauseating.
I'll third that....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lagerale wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:JesseM: couldn't agree more. I find both those Innis & Gunn beers nauseating.
I'll third that....
Actually - you are FOURTHing it. Do try to READ the thread before posting, please Lagerale. :roll:
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bytowner wrote:My God this Old Engine Oil is good. Can't blinking believe it. My new favourite beer, hands down. Creamy goodness.
Another great brew that blurs the style guidelines... I was expecting a brown ale leaning towards an old ale, but I thought it tasted more like an historical oatmeal stout.

Great stuff.

djskip

Post by djskip »

wow! I can't wait to drink my bottle of Engine Oil now that i've read these reviews. There was lots of 'em at the LCBO on Laird in Toronto this past Thursday.
the hills ARE alive - http://www.thehilllsarealive.ca