Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Winter Warmers 2007 release

Post by GregClow »

Here are the beers included in the LCBO's Winter Warmers 2007/08 release. These items began appearing on shelves in mid/late-November, and as of early February, all have been released, with the last arrival being Old Engine Oil which was delayed due to labelling issues.

The promotion officially runs until March, although some items may already be sold out at some locations.

WINTER WARMERS
LCBO # / PRODUCT NAME / % alc./vol. / Unit Size / Retail / COUNTRY
64030 / Harviestoun Old Engine Oil / 6 / 330 / $TBC / GREAT BRITAIN
684878 / Trafalgar Belgian Spice Ale / 6.2 / 650 / $3.95 / CANADA
676213 / Fullers Vintage Ale 2007 / 8.5 / 500 / $6.95 / GREAT BRITAIN
890871 / Black Sheep Riggwelter Strong Yorkshire Ale / 5.7 / 500 / $3.15 / GREAT BRITAIN
58875 / Aventinus Ice Bock / 12 / 500 / $3.95 / GERMANY
72934 / Scotch-Irish John By Imperial Stout / 9 / 341 / $TBC / CANADA
408005 / Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale / 6 / 550 / $3.75 / GREAT BRITAIN
890079 / St. Peter's Winter Ale / 6.5 / 500 / $3.75 / GREAT BRITAIN
615351 / Brakspear Triple / 7.2 / 500 / $3.50 / GREAT BRITAIN
16337 / Innis & Gunn Limited Edition Oak Aged IPA / 6.4 / 330 / $4.95 / GREAT BRITAIN
54254 / Thomas Hardy's Ale / 11.7 / 250 / $4.65 / ENGLAND
66027 / St. Ambroise Vintage Ale 2007 / 8 / 341 / $4.95 / CANADA
57828 / O'Hanlon's Royal Oak / 5 / 500 / $3.75 / GREAT BRITAIN
527838 / XO Beer / 8 / 330 / $4.05 / FRANCE
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

GregClow wrote:Here are the beers planned to be included in the LCBO's Winter Warmers 2007 release.

The release is officially scheduled to start hitting shelves in early December, but some beers have already started arriving. Those seen in at least one store as of November 10th are indicated by italics in the list:

WINTER WARMERS
TBC / Thomas Hardy's Ale / 11.7 / 250 / $4.00 / ENGLAND
thomas hardy's for $4. that still blows me away. for all the flak the lcbo gets, that's a pretty sweet deal on a world classic...

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

tuqueboy wrote:
GregClow wrote:Here are the beers planned to be included in the LCBO's Winter Warmers 2007 release.

The release is officially scheduled to start hitting shelves in early December, but some beers have already started arriving. Those seen in at least one store as of November 10th are indicated by italics in the list:

WINTER WARMERS
TBC / Thomas Hardy's Ale / 11.7 / 250 / $4.00 / ENGLAND
thomas hardy's for $4. that still blows me away. for all the flak the lcbo gets, that's a pretty sweet deal on a world classic...
It is pretty cheap. But I hope you do know that the bottle size is only 250 mL right?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Raptor2023 wrote: It is pretty cheap. But I hope you do know that the bottle size is only 250 mL right?
yup -- i don't know that you'd need a bigger bottle than that -- 2006 was roughly 12 per cent or so. it's still a damned sight cheaper than you'll be able to find it for anywhere else.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Solid release!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Looking at prices, funny how the St. Ambroise is the second hightest, but one of the closest. Realize it may be a smaller production than some of the others, but come on...$4.95 for a 341ml bottle? They've been doing this with their other limited releases like the Scottish Ale and Raspberry one.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Someone's gotta pay for all that fancy St. Ambroise packaging...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote:
Raptor2023 wrote: It is pretty cheap. But I hope you do know that the bottle size is only 250 mL right?
yup -- i don't know that you'd need a bigger bottle than that -- 2006 was roughly 12 per cent ...
You might pay 16-20 bucks + tax/tip for this "rarest ale in Britain" at BeerBistro (the '07 or the '06 if you can find them - the attraction partly being that when the limited quantity sells, it's gone.)

This is a serious, densely aromatic beer that could be shared with 1 or 2 people (yes, 100mls is enough at a time - though it's barely carbonated so it also keeps well for later enjoyment.) I may have a few extra 2006 if anyone needs a vintage comparison - with really "odd duck" beer like this there are year-to-year variations to the aromas, ABV etc.

Speaking of yearly variations, the Fullers Vintage Ale is always exciting and I'm glad I grabbed some extra 2006 of that one because it's proving to have better 'bones' for aging than most previous years. The 2007 they brewed up has few ratings but sounds like Fullers again is building a "cellar monster" and we should not miss out on grabbing five or six of these. Only a few twenties will get you a centerpiece to your cellar, so I'd just go for it (and a few St. Amby of course.)

Pretty ripping seasonal release all in all & can't wait to compare the By Stout to the Tsarina RIS from '05.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm not impressed...based upon this release you wouldn't think that Belgium, Holland and the U.S. were great brewing nations...seems that all we can handle is UK and Canada with a single German thrown in to make it seem international. I won't tell you what we submitted and was rejected but it would make you cry.

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

Yeah, it always seems like U.K. get most of the attention for beers. We hardly get anything from the U.S. and Belgium, which all have equally if not more, exciting beers. On a separate topic, is the Thomas Hardy's bottle conditioned?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

esprit wrote:I'm not impressed...based upon this release you wouldn't think that Belgium, Holland and the U.S. were great brewing nations...seems that all we can handle is UK and Canada with a single German thrown in to make it seem international. I won't tell you what we submitted and was rejected but it would make you cry.
Ohh please do tell.............. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Yes, Thomas Hardy's Ale is bottle conditioned and suitable for up to 25 years of cellaring. If you don't have that much patience, even a year or two of cellaring will reward your palate.

Roland + Russell will host a testing of this great beer along with O'Hanlon's Royal Oak at the Summerhill LCBO store on Friday, December 21, 12:00-15:00.

Samples and munchies from our friends at "Abbott on the Hill" will be provided. By the way, "The Abbott" is just about to receive the first order of Het Anker beers (Carolus Classic, Tripel, Ambrio, Christmas, Easter, Boscoulis, Margriet and Cuvee van de Keizer). It will hopefully be released at the end of next week.

Hope to see you there.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

Roland + Russell wrote:Yes, Thomas Hardy's Ale is bottle conditioned and suitable for up to 25 years of cellaring. If you don't have that much patience, even a year or two of cellaring will reward your palate.

Roland + Russell will host a testing of this great beer along with O'Hanlon's Royal Oak at the Summerhill LCBO store on Friday, December 21, 12:00-15:00.

Samples and munchies from our friends at "Abbott on the Hill" will be provided. By the way, "The Abbott" is just about to receive the first order of Het Anker beers (Carolus Classic, Tripel, Ambrio, Christmas, Easter, Boscoulis, Margriet and Cuvee van de Keizer). It will hopefully be released at the end of next week.

Hope to see you there.
Oh, I plan on cellaring a few up to 25 years and beyond. I plan on buying a whole bunch and see how they evolve over time.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

R & R - love it, be looking for those beers at The Abbott
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale is out on the shelves in north Barrie.
lister