Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO shifting focus to pricier wine, spirits, beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

LCBO shifting focus to pricier wine, spirits, beer

Post by lister »

http://www.thestar.com/article/293610

Perhaps a sign of a better beer selection ahead?
lister

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

lister wrote:http://www.thestar.com/article/293610

Perhaps a sign of a better beer selection ahead?
Hee-Hee, I know that reporter so I'll see if there is any more info. Doesn't mention anything about a possible better beer selection to come, it's all about the wine & liquor snobs out there. It would be a nice idea if the LCBO stocked beers that wouldn't/couldn't be available at the Beer Store. Maybe that could be the move to a 'boutique style' LCBO?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Sounds like good news to me, now if they could only remove the "be miserable to all customers" clause from their employment contracts. :evil:

I wonder how the Beer Store feels about the LCBO's expansion on their beer offerings, or are they just so focused on 24s of macros that it won't affect them at all. I know I haven't set foot in a Beer Store for over 2 years (aside from returning empties).

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Torontoblue wrote:It would be a nice idea if the LCBO stocked beers that wouldn't/couldn't be available at the Beer Store. Maybe that could be the move to a 'boutique style' LCBO?
What do you mean by that? The LCBO already carries a much better selection of micro-brews than the beer store. It ain't huge, but it's better and their seasonal offerings are pretty decent all things considered.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I always thought that the LCBO should start opening "boutique" style stores that offer less mainstream products such as specialty beer, cider, sake, and other odds and rarities.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Torontoblue wrote:Hee-Hee, I know that reporter so I'll see if there is any more info. Doesn't mention anything about a possible better beer selection to come, it's all about the wine & liquor snobs out there.
It mentions beer in the first and tenth paragraph though agreed the article does place more focus on wine and spirits.
It would be a nice idea if the LCBO stocked beers that wouldn't/couldn't be available at the Beer Store. Maybe that could be the move to a 'boutique style' LCBO?
That's an idea I've been advocating for some time now for LCBOs and Beer Stores that are near each other, like Summerhill for example. For all the beer that is duplicated have the LCBO drop them and use that space for more OCB beer and imports.
lister

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I just love how it's always "Wine, spirits..............and beer". Like as if they're saying "Fine wines, amazing spirits..........oh and that other crap too". "That other barley based stuff that isn't whiskey". Makes my blood boil :evil: .

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Must be coming off the news that people tend to enjoy wine more if it's more expensive: http://www.mercurynews.com/localnewshea ... ck_check=1

Talk about a cynical move! But then again, I'll gladly pay more for beer if there's a wider variety.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

shintriad wrote:Must be coming off the news that people tend to enjoy wine more if it's more expensive: http://www.mercurynews.com/localnewshea ... ck_check=1

Talk about a cynical move! But then again, I'll gladly pay more for beer if there's a wider variety.
Put this together with the LCBO's plan... my bet is that we'll get the same shitty selection - at higher prices!

-Josh

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

While I hope to see better beers at more outlets and especially Ontario micros (who happen to also be shareholders in LCBO with the rest of us), the cynical side in me spots the participation in a sad trend...

So many businesses across many industries have sought to improve profits by 'going upmarket'. It's 'the we can't compete with low cost players so let's be a boutique' approach.

I believe that adding value and not joining the race to the bottom is a good idea, but the sad fact is too much of this has to do with branding and not actually earning the added value.

In other words, higher prices but no, or pointless improvement in what is offered. Sadly, I bet the end result is more gift packs of crap and less good beer...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

detritus wrote:
shintriad wrote:Must be coming off the news that people tend to enjoy wine more if it's more expensive: http://www.mercurynews.com/localnewshea ... ck_check=1

Put this together with the LCBO's plan... my bet is that we'll get the same shitty selection - at higher prices!

-Josh
The LCBO quite sadly is a cynical, unresponsive monopoly that is fleecing its captive market - and WE are it my friends.

Let's just look at wine - there are occasionally good buys, and I don't think there is anybody "on the inside" who is actively trying to keep out good wines that are approachably priced.

However those 'high value' wines seem to be the exception, and cause quite a stir in the media which means the supply all but disappears in a few days. People get excited about a product actually worth buying!

Ironically, those same popular high-value wines are usually targeted for subsequent price increases - regardless of how good subsequent vintages may be. So this wonderful phenomenon happens which the LC recognize, and rather than develop on that success model they just go into "exploitation mode."

What the LC should do is source MORE such competitive high-value wines because that will generate more overall sales. In reality, they don't - they focus heavily on a very hit-and-miss selection of 13-22 dollar wines, often relying on clever branding or the region name on the label to move a lot of fairly plonky, barely legitimate stuff. This isn't legitimate product selection, it shows contempt for the consumer's taste.

In short, the LCBO "has us already" and they already make enough profit to serve their own ends, in the mediocre state they have things. We are just plain screwed. By their actions the LCBO repeatedly demonstrate they don't need, value or respect the Ontario consumer.
In Beerum Veritas

Cask

Post by Cask »

Well, here's an upbeat article on a related note about how shifting consumer tastes in beer can affect what retailers (albeit private ones) carry for the better:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 31,00.html