Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A little bit bizarre.....

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

A little bit bizarre.....

Post by JesseM »

So I just bought a sixer of some Sgt. Major's IPA, since I've been craving the stuff for a couple weeks, and I finally got some more money.

I opened the box expecting to see the classic red caps, but what I got was 3 red and 3 gold. And the weirdest part was that one of the gold-capped bottles has no label :-? .

I'm not doubting the quality of the beers, I'm just a little surprised with the "unique" new packaging :P.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Maybe you've won a brewery tour and the rights to inherit the brand? :p

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

:lol:
"Every day above ground is a good one."

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Oh man, I'm so confused. :-?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Don't expect mass market consistency here buddy!

I noticed the same on a shelf full of the porter, but they were trying to cleverly disguise it by selling singles. I guess the BR's high packaging return stats have led to lots of variety in the bins of recycled caps. :D

BTW, Perry. When can we expect sixes of John By and others?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

There are no plans to package the John By in 6-packs. The Corporal Punishment is being submitted to the LCBO for sale, and it too will be sold in singles if accepted.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

PRMason wrote:There are no plans to package the John By in 6-packs. The Corporal Punishment is being submitted to the LCBO for sale, and it too will be sold in singles if accepted.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, Perry!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Tapsucker wrote:BTW, Perry. When can we expect sixes of John By and others?
Grand River is in the initial stages of getting LCBO acceptance and the LCBO program sheet that Greg Clow printed on another thread tells the whole story. If you don't already have a six pack in the system, the LCBO is not looking for any more from a small brewer. Preference will be given to single unit containers, preferably 500ml and preferably cans. I am told that these are not absolutes but they are certainly moving the LCBO away from 341ml or 355ml bottles for specialty and import brewers as quickly as they can. The only multi-pack approvals I have seen was the OCB sampler.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Rob Creighton wrote:Grand River is in the initial stages of getting LCBO acceptance and the LCBO program sheet that Greg Clow printed on another thread tells the whole story. If you don't already have a six pack in the system, the LCBO is not looking for any more from a small brewer. Preference will be given to single unit containers, preferably 500ml and preferably cans. I am told that these are not absolutes but they are certainly moving the LCBO away from 341ml or 355ml bottles for specialty and import brewers as quickly as they can. The only multi-pack approvals I have seen was the OCB sampler.
Any idea what the rationale for this is? Do they think people prefer to buy singles? Or is it profit driven?

-Josh

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

detritus wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:Grand River is in the initial stages of getting LCBO acceptance and the LCBO program sheet that Greg Clow printed on another thread tells the whole story. If you don't already have a six pack in the system, the LCBO is not looking for any more from a small brewer. Preference will be given to single unit containers, preferably 500ml and preferably cans. I am told that these are not absolutes but they are certainly moving the LCBO away from 341ml or 355ml bottles for specialty and import brewers as quickly as they can. The only multi-pack approvals I have seen was the OCB sampler.
Any idea what the rationale for this is? Do they think people prefer to buy singles? Or is it profit driven?

-Josh

I'd suspect that it is a mixture of both, but I also suspect that there are other reasons.
One that jumps into my head immediately, is that they are really keen on having the most amount of different products on a given shelf space. So for example, let's say they bring in 20 new six packs, and force the stores to carry them. Well that's a lot of shelf space. Where they can fit 20 six packs, they can fit 50-60 different singles. I know this isn't always the case with the LCBO, but I think they are trying to carry as many different products as possible now to maximize profits. It's unfortunate that a lot of these end up bring things like Faxe Red, Bavaria Red and others of that ilk.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I like being able to buy beer in a single can or bottle. If I want six (or eight) I just fill up a box. I am looking forward to the Corporal Punishment and any Grand River products that might find their way into the LCBO!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

This could be some more good news for www.denisons.ca (particularly for us consumers!):

"BOTTLING

As many of you know well, I have felt strongly that a 500ml bottle is most appropriate for the Weissbier. This also applies to the Dunkel (and pretty well any other beer that I’m likely to brew!). I am very keen on the tall bottle as used by the German brewing industry and have had a supplier lined up for well over a year now. Unfortunately there are at least a couple of hurdles to overcome before using this type of bottle is likely to become a reality. Firstly, while the bottles are reasonably priced, the minimum order is nearly 45,000 bottles and so storage charges at this end would be hard to bear, aside from the up-front costs. Secondly, but more significantly, is the fact that an agreement between most brewers in Canada prevents the use of any bottle other than the industry standard tall 341ml twist-top bottle (ISB). This applies to any package size under 600ml. This agreement is designed to prevent non standard bottles from creating sorting headaches at the Beer Store. Participating breweries are only allowed to use the industry standard bottle if they sign the agreement and a cash incentive is assessed, based on volume, each year. There are only a few breweries that have not signed the agreement.

For these reasons, the second choice to enter the market with is a 341ml bottle, in six packs. This has meant that the labels have had to be redesigned, along with a carton. These are time consuming changes in a one person company. I’ll find a way to do the 500ml’s eventually!"

---

I guess now that The Beer Store is sorting various shapes & sizes of wine bottles, it's open game.

Hopefully the bigger bottles become a little more cost-effective for the smaller brewers, or maybe a few could get together for the 45k minimum order!

500 mL is generally a good size, but it can be a little much for the higher proof (i.e. the 12% Eisbock).

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I know that's not what this thread's about, but the idea of buying Denison's, Grand River and Corporal Punishment in stores is making my mouth water over here!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Derek wrote:This could be some more good news for www.denisons.ca (particularly for us consumers!):
hate to break it to ya derek, but that message has been up on the site for well over a year

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

tuqueboy wrote:
Derek wrote:This could be some more good news for www.denisons.ca (particularly for us consumers!):
hate to break it to ya derek, but that message has been up on the site for well over a year
It's been there for many years.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!