Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2008 Double Chocolate Cherry Stout

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

2008 Double Chocolate Cherry Stout

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everybody
With luck and the approval of the brewing gods we will be bottling and kegging this years edition of the 2XChocCherryStout, on Wednesday 2/13/08.
Once everything is done we will be trying to get the kegs out to our pubs before valentines day (hopeless romantics that we are).
Once again Adrian & Simon have done a great job and we had a really hard time trying not to drink it all ourselves.
We should have enough to last until about the end of March.
There are a few casks that will make appearances here and there. We'll try to let you know but remember to save a pint for us!!!
It will be available in the Retail store only.
Bottle pricing:
6-Pack $12.25
12-Pack $22.75
24-Pack $43.25
I will deliver into the Toronto area a minimum of 3 cases if i have a set delivery time and location (with good directions) I'd prefer to have the cases prepaid as well.
Some of you have placed orders and i will try to deliver them before the weekend.

Brewery retail store hours are posted on daily voicemail: 905-339-1037
Saturdays I'm normally open from 10-3:30 but i'll be closing at 1:30 Sat 2/16/08.

Look forward to seeing some of you at C'est What on Wednesday.

Who knows, there could be the last cask of 2005 bourbon barrel NutCracker Porter present (save a pint for me!!!)

Cheers
Ken

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

This sounds very interesting!

Is there any chance of posting a list of the places this'll be on tap?
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everyone
So Far we have the 2xChocCherryStout at the following Pubs:
Beer Bistro
Caffe Volo
Dr. Generosity
The Rebel House
Magpie
Musa
The Bow & Arrow
Victory Cafe
Renaisance Cafe

I hope you enjoy

Cheers
ken

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Hmm, being in Mississauga, WEST 50 Pourhouse & Grille has become my personal favourite watering hole. I was hoping they might be on the list. :(

Oh well. This just means I'm going to have to swing by the Black Oak retail store sometime next week for a case. :)
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Had this at CW and Volo. Very nice. I do wish the cherry was punched up a little more though.

(Still hoping for someone to do Chocolate Orange and Chocolate Banana stouts...)
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Still hoping for someone to do Chocolate Orange and Chocolate Banana stouts
Spill some Dennison's in a Hockley Stout? Go to Dairy Queen? Start homebrewing and do it yourself?

Go to England?
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/downton-ch ... ght/81462/

I could not find one other active orange stout beer on ratebeer (and only a passing mention of a couple of one-off now retired festival attempts) - so either you're sitting on the greatest beer idea hardly anyone has ever attempted, or you're own very peculiar fruit fetish will only be soothed by a trip to the mad scientist homebrew store and the St Lawrence Market.

And no luck on the banana chocolate stout search...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

lister wrote:(Still hoping for someone to do Chocolate Orange and Chocolate Banana stouts...)
if your timing is right you can always take a drive down to detroit and hit kuhnhenn for their B-Rad's Banana Stout. i know it's been on tap when i've visited before. their Creme Brulee Java Stout is also a hit from what i've heard.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Creme Brulee Java Stout
I visited the brewery a couple of years ago and tried this - a really unique beer with one of the best aromas I have ever experienced.

Didn't get a chance to try the banana stout, but good catch Grub - if Kuhnhenn is brewing it, it is likely to be pretty darn good.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

tupalev wrote:
Creme Brulee Java Stout
if Kuhnhenn is brewing it, it is likely to be pretty darn good.
yep, a damn fine brewery. i try to get over there pretty much every time i'm in windsor for a beer and a couple growlers. i have traded a few of their growlers in the past too. if you can get your hands on it, their bottled stuff is trading gold.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

tupalev wrote:Spill some Dennison's in a Hockley Stout?
Maybe when the bottles are available though I'm not sure how strong the flavour will be.
Go to Dairy Queen?
I have but it's a little cold right now plus DQ doesn't have a liquor license.
Start homebrewing and do it yourself?
I have with friends and it's on the list of brews to try but we haven't fired up the brewing engine in a few years sadly. :cry:
Go to England?
Working on it. The Aeroplan miles cover one return plane ticket right now. I'm working on the second ticket and hopefully accommodations. The plan is to go within five years.
so either you're sitting on the greatest beer idea hardly anyone has ever attempted,
I think I am. I'm even kind enough to share the idea with others. No patents or other legal entanglements.
or you're own very peculiar fruit fetish will only be soothed by a trip to the mad scientist homebrew store and the St Lawrence Market.
I still don't understand why some people are so negative about the whole thing. :-? I also don't understand why I'm tarred and feathered about this when I've posted plenty of times about non-fruit beers that I like.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

grub wrote:if your timing is right you can always take a drive down to detroit and hit kuhnhenn for their B-Rad's Banana Stout. i know it's been on tap when i've visited before.
Interesting. Hopefully it's in bottles available at our favourite NY beer stores. I have zero interest in ever going to Detroit.
their Creme Brulee Java Stout is also a hit from what i've heard.
I had a sample of that at Mondial two years ago. It was interesting but I recall not being liking it all that much. I'll probably give it another shot if I spot a bottle for purchase.
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I hardly think I tarred and feathered you Lister. I offered you some decent suggestions while trying to be humorous - get some thicker skin man, if you're going to stick your neck out as the fruit beer lover, you're going to need it - the caveman like testosterone filled beer loving society that I am a part of is just not willing to accept you yet (note - this is also humorous! Look at my fruit beer scores are ratebeer, I've enjoyed plenty! They're just not the first thing I look for and I do not dream of fruity style concoctions).

For the record, I do find your obsession with fruit beers really funny. Sorry. But I did take the time to try and help you on your quest.
I have zero interest in ever going to Detroit.
I love statements like this. You like an obscure beer style/flavour mutation, someone suggests a world class brewery near by that makes the exact obscure beer you're after and you dismiss the idea completely because - why?

You have a very interesting palette Lister and you post your thoughts here on a public forum- so don't get all pissy when folks take some good natured stabs at it; the fact that you do (get all pissy) is something I still do not understand.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

lister wrote:Interesting. Hopefully it's in bottles available at our favourite NY beer stores. I have zero interest in ever going to Detroit.
nope, not gonna happen. they seem to only be releasing bottles at their winter solstice party, and then it's small quantities available at the brewery only. generally they're gone within a week. you can find their raspberry eisbock at liquor stores around detroit, but it's pretty hit or miss when they release any of it there too. your best bet is a growler when it's on tap.

you should rethink your position on detroit though. between kuhnhenn, dragonmead, and the other little breweries/brewpubs popping up it's a great beer place that's less than a 4 hour drive away. add on the fine MI breweries and other good stuff you can find at stores around town and it's top notch. i end up in detroit more often than buffalo, and there isn't a whole lot you'll find in NY that isn't available in MI. plus the MI selection in MI is obviously better than in NY.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've had a couple of pacific northwest stouts with a bunch of cascade hops... it was sort of like a Terry's chocolate orange.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Derek wrote:I've had a couple of pacific northwest stouts with a bunch of cascade hops... it was sort of like a Terry's chocolate orange.
i thought of that too, but didn't suggest it due to lister's hop aversion...