Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Propeller and Southern Tier at the LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Propeller and Southern Tier at the LCBO

Post by GregClow »

In a post to his blog about the upcoming Spring release, Troy Burtch (aka "Pub Style" around here) also confirms the good news that Propeller ESB, Propeller Porter and Southern Tier IPA will soon be available at the LCBO.

Troy (or Roland + Russell) can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that these will be new General List items and not part of a limited seasonal release.

Both of the Propeller beers are solid, and while it may not be DFH60, the ST is still a nice, hoppy US IPA. Kudos to the LCBO for this move, and to R+R for getting them hooked up with the good stuff.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Dang, I just ordered a case of the IPA too! This is a great development if it comes to fruition, and all those involved deserve credit for improving the LCBO selection.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Thats great news, it's a very good IPA. Will it be available province wide if wanted? I've heard great things about Propeller beers as well.
it's beer o'clock.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Yes great news. I buy many Trappist beers from Peter and cellar them but this does not work well for IPAs as they have limited shelf life.

Glad to see an American craft IPA on the list. The ST IPA is unremarkable next to the sublime ST Unearthly, but fantastic for a general LCBO list.

Peter I know you rep'd Victory at one point. If we could get Victory Hop Devil as a general listing that would be my #1 choice for a "standard" IPA.
Victory was turned off by the hassle and sporadic sales from the LCBO from what you said before but maybe if the ST IPA makes inroads we could see it? I can hope anyway.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

This is huge. Three new North American micros on the General List? Awesome.

Particularly, the addition of the Southern Tier, in the context of the recent addition of Brooklyn Lager (about a year ago?) looks like a pretty good indication that American micros aren't anathema to the LCBO buyers.

-Josh

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

StevenThrasher wrote: Peter I know you rep'd Victory at one point. If we could get Victory Hop Devil as a general listing that would be my #1 choice for a "standard" IPA.
Victory was turned off by the hassle and sporadic sales from the LCBO from what you said before but maybe if the ST IPA makes inroads we could see it? I can hope anyway.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Victory were pretty pissed off that they had seasonals on three different occasions and not one of them got reordered let alone general listed. They also found the strip labelling, shipping, lab testing and payment scenarios problematic from what I understand (as have many excellent U.S. micros). If they have changed their tune I'd be a very happy man but...I doubt it.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

We can't comment on Propeller yet, but will keep you all posted.

As for Southern Tier's IPA we are pleased to say that it will be released in the latter half of April.

At the risk of sounding like Oscar winners on the podium...we would sincerely like to thank Alan, Cass, Greg and all of you who supported Southern Tier through your private orders and positive postings on Bar Towel.

It is through all of our collective efforts that the IPA is coming here.

You may not always realize it, but your opinions and actions do hold some weight.

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roland + Russell wrote:
You may not always realize it, but your opinions and actions do hold some weight.

Cheers,
We don't realize it sometimes, it can feel like were fighting a Goliath that doesn't notice or heed us - so that's really encouraging - best to you all who made this happen.

I'm still rubbing my eyes in disbelief!
In Beerum Veritas

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

The Propeller Beers have yet to be accepted into the LCBO. I may have been a little premature in posting that they will be in soon.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Excellent news on the STIPA. Well done R+R!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We are talking to Victory again as beerbistro convinced them to do a private order of most of their products. They are still reluctant to get back into what seems like a dead-end market but with the recent listings of a number of U.S. micros, we're hopeful that they may give it another shot.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

esprit wrote:We are talking to Victory again
Glad to hear.

Choice #1: Hop Devil
Choice #2: Storm King (semi-seasonal)

They are both outstanding and not too over the top for the LCBO to accept. I think you would have the best luck on both sides with the Hop Devil. That beer is all over the place in Philly, including all the airport bars. I don't think you'd have any issue with supply. The Storm King would be a little more difficult at 9% and seasonal batches but it would top the list for me for a winter LCBO release. It is my favourite $2 beer. It is criminally cheap for how good it is.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

StevenThrasher wrote:
esprit wrote:We are talking to Victory again
Glad to hear.

Choice #1: Hop Devil
Choice #2: Storm King (semi-seasonal)

They are both outstanding and not too over the top for the LCBO to accept. I think you would have the best luck on both sides with the Hop Devil. That beer is all over the place in Philly, including all the airport bars. I don't think you'd have any issue with supply. The Storm King would be a little more difficult at 9% and seasonal batches but it would top the list for me for a winter LCBO release. It is my favourite $2 beer. It is criminally cheap for how good it is.
Steve,

I think you might not be aware of Peter's efforts in this regard during the past five or six years. I'm pretty sure the issue was never supply nor demand. Peter's brought in both beers in the past and we've collectively bought them all up. This issue, IMO, remains whether the brewery want to once again endure the hassle of dealing with the unbelieveably bureaucratic LCBO without some commitment to more than a one off seasonal offering.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Jon Walker wrote:I think you might not be aware of Peter's efforts in this regard during the past five or six years. I'm pretty sure the issue was never supply nor demand.
Fair enough. I got excited by the prospect of not having to go to Buffalo for Victory Hop Devil and got way ahead of myself.
I was not in on the craft beer scene 5 or 6 years ago (hadn't had my epiphany yet) although I did read about the Victory LCBO history on this site from Peter before that is why I knew he rep'd them.

I know Peter doesn't really need advice on this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents on what would be the best choice brews from a "fan". I'm glad to see there is a glimmer of hope for Victory anyway.

For Roland and Russel to get a general listing of an American Craft Beer that (as far as I know) the LCBO has never even had before is simply outstanding and is a precedent that could pave the way for others to go right to general listing. This could truly be the turning point we are all hoping for. (Well perhaps I'm way too optimistic again).

Publican

Post by Publican »

I'd be happy to have eithier or both of Victory Hop Devil and Storm King available at the LCBO.
I bought two six packs of Victory's winter seasonal, Hop Wallop at Consumer's Beverages in Williamsville NY last weekend. Each was $10.99. While I don't expect the LCBO to match that price if they do come in I hope they are are around the $13 amount