Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Expiry Dates

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

The last aromatherapy that my bro in law brought at Easter was terrible. No tropical happiness at all and tasted old. And he lives in ottawa

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

I've asked Beyond the Pale about their lack of dates on their cans when i was at their brewery and they stated it would cost too much for them to do it. But then again, since they've expanded, they seem to be coasting on their reputation in the Ottawa area. The service at their new location is atrocious.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BlackRedGold wrote:I've asked Beyond the Pale about their lack of dates on their cans when i was at their brewery and they stated it would cost too much for them to do it. But then again, since they've expanded, they seem to be coasting on their reputation in the Ottawa area. The service at their new location is atrocious.
Uh huh. Because they keep their costs so low compared to other brewers who date mark cans, of course. :roll:
In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Belgian wrote:
BlackRedGold wrote:I've asked Beyond the Pale about their lack of dates on their cans when i was at their brewery and they stated it would cost too much for them to do it. But then again, since they've expanded, they seem to be coasting on their reputation in the Ottawa area. The service at their new location is atrocious.
Uh huh. Because they keep their costs so low compared to other brewers who date mark cans, of course. :roll:
I rolled my eyes at that one too. An employee costs $14 dollars an hour. A hole punch is like what, five bucks? A sharpie is two bucks. As I said earlier, even the goodwill can afford to put date stickers on their stuff. And these are only the cheapest, half-assed Red Green solutions to the problem.

Perhaps the fellow you quoted just asked some random dude at the cash register who actually didn't know, and came up with an excuse that sounded reasonable at first. If an actual owner said that to me it would be tough for me not to laugh in their face.

The truth is that there are plenty of smaller brewers in this province that somehow manage to scrounge up enough change in their couch cushions to pay for some sort of dating method.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Yup this a dealbreaker for me. I loved Aromatherapy and Pink Fuzz when they first came to Toronto LCBOs. Every can was good/seemed fresh, so I didn't hold back on buying the undated product. But my last few cans of these brews were sub par. I will no longer be buying these until I see dates.

I will probably still try the Yummy IPA when it shows up, assuming it is decently fresh when it hits shelves.