Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your personal Holy Grail of all beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Your personal Holy Grail of all beers

Post by JesseM »

Can you name just ONE beer, that you would do just about anything to try/have available to you? Or maybe to just have a large supply of?

I think for me, I'd die happy if I could have Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter. I think you have to actually go to Sweden to get it, or find someone who'll actually trade it to you.

I'll probably visit Sweden some day, with one of my main objectives being this beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Be ... erID=58057

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Don't know if it counts as a holy grail when you've already attained it, but I'd go for Black Cat Mild:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/109/341/?ba=bobsy

Way better on cask than in the bottle, I sometimes feel it doesn't get the love it deserves. You can also drink 10 pints of it and still be able to walk.

Also, next time I'm in Quebec I'm loading up on the Bièropholie Impériale Stout:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/89 ... /?ba=bobsy

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

A real gueuze. Preferably either the Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze, or the 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze.

Failing that, reliable access to some other (very) sour Belgians - the Rodenbach Grand Cru comes to mind.

-Josh

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The girlfriend would be all for anything from Cantillon or sour Belgians.

I can think of two beers that I've only had once, one of which is a different recipe than when I had it. The first would be Schoune's à l'Érable (Maple Ale) circa 2005. That was a massively sweet maple bomb which was sadly changed in 2006. I had planned to bring cases of it back with me from Montreal. :cry: I haven't found another maple beer yet that was anywhere near that one.

The other would be Dieu du Ciel's Aphrodisiaque which is my favourite stout in my short list of stouts I like.
lister

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

westvleteren abt 12

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

JesseM wrote:Can you name just ONE beer, that you would do just about anything to try/have available to you? Or maybe to just have a large supply of?

I think for me, I'd die happy if I could have Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter. I think you have to actually go to Sweden to get it, or find someone who'll actually trade it to you.

I'll probably visit Sweden some day, with one of my main objectives being this beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Be ... erID=58057
It's supposed to be the best Impy stout in the known universe...even better than that Dark Lord stuff that people line up for once a year. Produced by a little brewery run by weird, bearded, vaguely hippieish Swedes who probably play Dungeons & Dragons (Nordic Edition).

Dude, if you wind up in Sweden, bring me back a bottle or two? Please! I'll pay you DOUBLE what they're asking! Hell, TRIPLE.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Off the top of my head (inspired by Lister's post), is I would go back in time for the black-labeled Niagara Falls Eisbock from the mid-90s.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

lister wrote:The first would be Schoune's à l'Érable (Maple Ale) circa 2005. That was a massively sweet maple bomb which was sadly changed in 2006.
I recently had the schoune before heading out to see the Carnaval parade. I thought it was decent, but not nearly enough maple character. The flavour came across more as allspice to me.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I'd do pretty much anything to get my hands on some Three Floyds Dreadnought.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cannondale wrote:westvleteren abt 12
I would really enjoy trying the 8 or the 12. Probably a great lawn-mower beer.
In Beerum Veritas

Beer Doctor

Post by Beer Doctor »

Westvleteren 12 is definitely grail-worthy, and probably the hardest beer to come by, even in Belgium.

I spent a lot of time trying to track down some Struise Pannepot Reserva Oak Aged, also an amazing beer.

I would love to try some of the Struise Black Albert, but I've heard that they have only done a very limited bottling.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Must have before I croak: AleSmith Barrel Aged Old Numbskull

Would like available all the time: Great Lakes Eliot Ness

Would like a nice stash of: Uerige Doppel Sticke or Ayinger Celebrator Or Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
Aventinus rules!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote:
cannondale wrote:westvleteren abt 12
I would really enjoy trying the 8 or the 12. Probably a great lawn-mower beer.
Had a 2004 bottle of the 8 last year, also had fresh bottles of Rochefort 8 and 10 to compare at the same time. The Westy was good, but I'd still take either Rochefort over it, maybe even St Bernardus Abt 12 too.

But the one beer I keep dreaming about trying again someday is Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel. And more Cantillon - I've only tried one, can't even remember which one (it was the last beer sampled at an 8 hour session), but it kicked butt.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Landlord. Nuff Said :D

If you have to ask, then you've never tried!!!

Though I do like Bobsy's suggestion.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Beer Doctor wrote:
I spent a lot of time trying to track down some Struise Pannepot Reserva Oak Aged, also an amazing beer.

I would love to try some of the Struise Black Albert, but I've heard that they have only done a very limited bottling.
After speaking with Urbain of De Struise yesterday, we can confirm that their beers will be coming to Ontario soon. Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005 was delayed by some labeling issues and it should on its way next week. Black Albert will be bottled in late April, R+R hopes to have it here in early June.

At this point, pricing cannot be finalized yet, but it will be posted promptly. We apologize for not having this information on our site, but we have had some major computer issues. We hope to revamp and update our site soon.

Thanks,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell