Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

U.S. Craft Beer article in today's Post

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

I can remember when people got excited over the local craft beer.
But i guess the allure of american beer kinda takes over.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:I can remember when people got excited over the local craft beer.
I just get excited over good beer, whether its local or not. I'm excited about getting something new here, but probably not as excited as I am when I see Nutcracker on tap for the first time of the season. I'd say that 90% of the beer I drink is from Ontario, and maybe another 5% from Quebec.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ditto what Bobsy said!
lister

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:I can remember when people got excited over the local craft beer.
That's a silly comment.

We're excited because we are finally going to be able to go to the LCBO and buy a good IPA, two good IPAs even!

What should we be getting from Ontario instead? We don't even have one good IPA.

When we have comparable product in bottles in Ontario I will be truly excited!!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Yeah, what they said. As far as IPAs in bottles, there aren't too many choices here. Certainly nothing on par with DFH 60.

If you bottled Hop Bomb, I'd be drinking it regularly!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Blankboy wrote:
That's a silly comment.
Agreed. Something about a rising tide... and boats...?

-Josh

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Sgt. Major is a good IPA and I'll go to my grave saying so.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Bytowner wrote:Sgt. Major is a good IPA and I'll go to my grave saying so.
You go ahead but to me, it's a far cry from what it used to be. I love IPAs but I'd take a Tankhouse over Sgt. Major.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Sgt. Major is a good IPA and I'll go to my grave saying so.
Sgt Major is a good IPA (albeit a malty, tea like one that has pretty much nothing in common with a DFH 60 or Souther Tier) sometimes. Personally I grew tired of being a guinea pig with on/off batches a while ago. Perhaps you get consistently good and fresh batches in the Ottawa region Bytowner.
I can remember when people got excited over the local craft beer.
But i guess the allure of American beer kinda takes over.
Ken, I think you have misjudged the reaction here and you do some of us a disservice with that statement. We're excited about getting world class beers in styles not currently represented in bottle form. As others have said, bottle your Hop Bomb, we'll be excited. Same goes if Durham bottled Hop Head. I'm not sure there is anything else regularly available bottled that compares to Rogue Deadguy or Brooklyn Black either in those styles.

Nothing beats drinking (and being proud of) great local craft beer. But you cannot live in a vacuum. The U.S. craft brewing scene took outside influences and ran with them; they certainly did not hide from them. And now some of them are producing world class beers in styles they really have no business doing so in! That seems like a pretty good way to get people excited about your beer (or business really, in general terms) - take what others are doing and do it better (or differently).

Simplistic I know, and I am not a brewer and do not have a livelihood at stake (so it is easy for me to say) but from a consumer's point of view, I hate to think that our Ontario Craft brewers (and I consider you one of our very best) are afraid of a little competition.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Blankboy wrote:What should we be getting from Ontario instead? We don't even have one good IPA.
The Magnotta True North IPA is well worth a try if you've not already had it. Leans more to an English IPA than an American one, and doesn't have the high bitterness of southern brews. Unfortunately we make a lot of good IPAs that are only available on tap, such as Hop Head and Church Key's West Coast.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

tupalev wrote: As others have said, bottle your Hop Bomb, we'll be excited. Same goes if Durham bottled Hop Head.
I would be very excited to see either the Hop Bomb or Head in bottle form!!!!! I think like many people, I get excited about good beer, regardless of where it comes from. If there are two comparable beers, one local and one import, I will choose the local.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bobsy wrote:Unfortunately we make a lot of good IPAs that are only available on tap, such as Hop Head and Church Key's West Coast.
Church-Key's West Coast is available in bottles, you just have to go to the brewery to get them. Well worth the trip, in my opinion, and if you take the back roads, it's a breathtaking drive. I picked up a few cases last fall (and a case of Holy Smoke, a wonderful beer to enjoy in autumn), and they didn't last long. I'll be heading up again soon to stock up on the West Coast for the summer (assuming there's some available). CK has growlers now, too.
But man, if I could get Denison's, CK and Grand River's full lines at the LCBO, I would be a happy, happy camper.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Bobsy wrote:The Magnotta True North IPA is well worth a try if you've not already had it.
I have had it. It's O.K. But it's a far, far cry from the DFH 60 and the ST IPA.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Blankboy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:The Magnotta True North IPA is well worth a try if you've not already had it.
I have had it. It's O.K. But it's a far, far cry from the DFH 60 and the ST IPA.
I agree. I'd also take Tankhouse over it, by a big margin.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

What are you guys talking about?? None of the beers you mention taste like a Keith's IPA.

Those other "beers" should really stop mis-representing the style.