Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brew it yourself beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Derek wrote: . . . In the future, you could convert this to a bottling bucket, mash tun, . . .
Recognizing that this is in the wrong place, I have a question nonetheless. How would one go about putting a false bottom into this?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

You can buy conversion kits like this:
http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Mash_Tun

I removed the tap & installed a ball-valve, copper pipe and an inverted metal collander. This was a cheap DIY project. Infusing mash/lautering takes an awefully long time (well over an hour). Since I'm using the stove-top, I start the first half boiling while collecting the runnings from the second half. It takes a long time, but I was getting around 75% efficiency (over 80 when I tried decoction mashing).

It's a cheap way to start. You can get 12# of grain in there, but it flows much better with 10#. I was using extract to top-up the gravity, or only collecting the first 4 gal.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, we've probably veered enough into homebrew territory that cass/greg could move this thread over there...

lots of options for lautering in a cooler, from full false bottom setups to hard copper or soft copper rings. i've got some info in the biergotter blog, and would be happy to answer other questions.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

JesseM wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I didn't post this in the homebrew topic area because I didn't think this actually qualified as home brew. I'm also aware that home brewing is quite legal and common. I was just confused over why he was able to purchase this at "some corner store", when you generally can't buy beer or beer-related products at corner stores (.5% beverages don't count).
Back in B.C., where I'm from, you can buy homebrewing equipment and ingredients in grocery stores like Real Canadian Superstore. Makes for an interesting shopping list :D

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

You can buy beer and wine kits in Saskatchewan grocery stores, but most are crap.

Those "big and easy" 2L kits are horrible and expensive. All the local winemaking shops brought them in last fall, and now they are trying to blow them out with big discounts on buying them by the case.

Coopers kits are nothing special, most of the time they are stale, and for heaven's sake do not follow the included directions.

RJ Spagnols makes a decent kit that a lot homebrewers like to tinker with called Brewhouse - I've tasted some and they aren't bad.

But as Grub has already mentioned, REAL homebrewing is not that expensive to get started, and ends up being much cheaper than those sub-par kits in the long run.

Magni

Post by Magni »

I should be bottling my dunkelweizen in about a week. Jesse: i'll send you a bottle to show you what kind of quality you can expect from a 'tweaked' kit.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

grub got me hooked on home brewing last summer. I have only done one beer of my own so far, but I was a helper monkey for a few more at his house.

I liked it so much I have invested $500 or so, plus about 40 hours of work into equipment.

I am going to be brewing with a guy from work mainly, as grub is too far away from me to be really practical. I hope to be brewing every 2nd to 3rd weekend once the snow is gone.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

KwaiLo wrote:I am going to be brewing with a guy from work mainly, as grub is too far away from me to be really practical. I hope to be brewing every 2nd to 3rd weekend once the snow is gone.
"once the snow is gone"

What kind of excuse is that? I brewed out on my patio in January when it was -27C (-40 with the windchill)!!!

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

markaberrant wrote: What kind of excuse is that? I brewed out on my patio in January when it was -27C (-40 with the windchill)!!!
If I was more experienced, it wouldn't matter, but I can't expect grub to come to Cambridge to brew when the weather on the weekends was so horrible for a while.

I doubt next winter will slow me down too much.