Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Munich Helles Lager

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Grand River Munich Helles Lager

Post by JesseM »

From the title I would have thought that this should be in the reviews section, but since it's not out yet and I haven't tried it, obviously I can't really review it.

But I'm curious if anyone knows anything more about it (Mr. Rob Creighton I'm looking at you.....) and can shed some light on it for me. Munich Helles happens to be one of my absolute favourite styles, and Grand River happens to be one of my absolute favourite breweries. So theoretically, this should be my perfect beer (or something close to it). Bob told me (2 or 3 weeks back) at the brewery, that it would be out in about 3 weeks. So should this one be popping up anytime soon? I still see no sign of it.

I just really need to know an exact date or period of time, so that I can be one of the first people to pick up a growler (or 5) or have a pint pulled! Is one of the issues the lack of a name? "Go-to-Helles Lager" was unacceptable from what I hear :P.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Hi Jesse,

Hopefully Rob will chime in soon.

I did call the brewery about 3 days ago though, and Bob informed me that it was going to be a couple more weeks, and he had also accented something that Rob had mentioned to me earlier, which was that it will be available in 500 ml bottles. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Hi Jesse,

Hopefully Rob will chime in soon.

I did call the brewery about 3 days ago though, and Bob informed me that it was going to be a couple more weeks, and he had also accented something that Rob had mentioned to me earlier, which was that it will be available in 500 ml bottles. :)
Will they be releasing the other beers in bottles, as well?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I was excited about this one as well & emailed Rob a couple weeks ago.

They used a San Francisco yeast & a warmer fermentation, then many weeks of lagering. I think it's all Hallertau hops.

Sounds tasty.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I'd just like to put it out there that this one still has yet to make it's way out of the brewery.

Harold at the Castle told me it has something to do with some sort of promotion with Dave FM? I think my boredom has got to the point where I NEED this beer to be released. Man I need a job............

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Waiting on LCBO approval. Will be out later this week.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Rob Creighton wrote:Waiting on LCBO approval. Will be out later this week.
Hi Rob,

Any idea yet how big the distribution is going to be?

Cheers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
They used a San Francisco yeast & a warmer fermentation, then many weeks of lagering. I think it's all Hallertau hops.
I love GR products! Thank you Mr. Rob.

Would be interesting to compare this Münchner to the forthcoming Anchor Steam, a beer that I believe also has warmer fermentation and a SF yeast, does it not?

May be zero connection between Dortmunder/Helles & California Common/Steam beer - but I'm curious because warm fermentation can allow some fruit notes to develop. The Stratford Common is a very decent example of these 'ale-like' qualities. It had for me a nice 'doughy' quality which is something also ascribed to a good Helles.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

This beer is went on tap at Volo today, were they have it listed on the board as Grand River Hanenberg Pils.

(Actually, Ralph has it spelled "Hannenberg", but I assume that's a mistake since Bob Hanenberg is the name of the owner of the brewery.)

It's a nice beer in the German Pils style, very crisp, fresh and refreshing.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

GregClow wrote:(Actually, Ralph has it spelled "Hannenberg", but I assume that's a mistake since Bob Hanenberg is the name of the owner of the brewery.)
Jeez, nothing gets by Greg. He should be a journalist...just kidding. :P

The double 'n' is an original family spelling and if we were going to do a family name beer, Bob thought we should go with it. Bob's always wanted to use it on a pils. My understanding is the name derives from a version of Hahn berg or Rooster Mountain so you can guess where the logo will go.

The beer was designed as a Helles but as usual, the water we work with elevates the bitterness (approx. 13 IBU's) so I don't think we're that far off the pils. It uses the Mittelfruh and Hersbruker varieties and is 4.5%ABV

We haven't yet worked out bottling details so distribution to Toronto is problematic. Hopefully soon.

Enjoy

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Had 2 pints at Volo today, great beer, nice job.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

We haven't yet worked out bottling details so distribution to Toronto is problematic. Hopefully soon.
Sorry Rob, not clear on what you are saying re bottling. Is it available in growlers at the brewery? Looking forward to trying it.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Darn it, the one Friday I don't go to the brewery, and I miss out on a new product launch.

I tried this a couple of weeks ago at the brewery, and am looking forward to having a growler full.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's available in Growlers at the Brewery (I picked one up today).

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Derek wrote:It's available in Growlers at the Brewery (I picked one up today).
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!??!?!?!? I specifically didn't go to the brewery today because I thought since they were having "bottling issues", that meant no growlers. Awwwwwwwwww aaaarrrrrg :cry:. Well seeing as I have no money right now I'll have to see if I can convince my Dad it's worth his while to make yet another beer run with me. Or I can just wait until my stupid tax return cheque gets here and buy it myself, or I could get a job.........although I have been looking. I really can't wait to try this one.