Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Worst Beers!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

I've not had the Lactese Falcon but its lore lives on. Though I recently had Church Key's Great Gats Beer and all I could think was blue cheese with a hint of baby vomit - maybe he's passing off old Falcon as Great Gats Beer? :) Either way, it was terrible, especially for how expensive it was.

It was up there with my worst beers but nothing beats Trafalgar Critical Mass. Burning electronics mixed with ink, leather, rotting vegetables and jet fuel.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ritzkiss wrote:I've not had the Lactese Falcon but its lore lives on. Though I recently had Church Key's Great Gats Beer and all I could think was blue cheese with a hint of baby vomit - maybe he's passing off old Falcon as Great Gats Beer? :) Either way, it was terrible, especially for how expensive it was.

It was up there with my worst beers but nothing beats Trafalgar Critical Mass. Burning electronics mixed with ink, leather, rotting vegetables and jet fuel.
What is the difference between say, Jet Fuel, and regular fuel?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

ritzkiss wrote:I've not had the Lactese Falcon but its lore lives on. Though I recently had Church Key's Great Gats Beer and all I could think was blue cheese with a hint of baby vomit - maybe he's passing off old Falcon as Great Gats Beer? :) Either way, it was terrible, especially for how expensive it was.

I was given a Great Gats Beer and also the Trafalgar Strong Ale 3 pack which included the Critical Mass and have to agree wholeheartedly. The other two in the Strong Ale 3 pack were just as bad. I don't know why they would even make that garbage and have no idea why the LCBO would sell it.

Someone up thread mentioned Labatt Porter. I buy a sixer of it every five years or so as it was one of the first beers I ever tried that was outside of the mainstream... I am still surprised that I ever bothered to keep looking for good beer after that first experience. I still get some when I head to the old stomping grounds but I can't really explain why.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

There is nasty crap out there such as malt liquor and ultra light beer. It is meant to be crap, so I can hardly fault them for it, and I certainly don't drink these beers.

I have had lots of craft beers that have been drainpours, but I try to just forget about them and move on.

As a homebrew judge, I have tasted some truly disgusting offerings. But I have also tasted many homebrews that are without question amongst the best beers I have ever sampled. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Life is too short to drink shitty beer.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The Gatsbeer is nowhere near the level of cheese/vomit/funk that Lactese Falcon is. I actually enjoy the Gatsbeer in small amounts.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The thing that killed me about the Falcon was that it apparantly sold for just shy of 10 bucks for a bomber. I can't imagine anyone who would have the stomach to down that much of that beer.

If I get the chance to host a Hill Farmstead tasting this fall, I'm subjecting everyone to a sample glass of Indian Wells Raspberry beforehand just out of principal.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Somewhat odd list. I've stayed away from most of the awful macros so there's no Steelback, odd hybrid, island or Eastern European beers here. So this is really a personal taste hate list.

1: Trafalgar
2: Lactese Falcon
3: Sleeman Cream Ale
4: Belgian Wits
5: Unibroue

Ah Trafalgar. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. They should just rebrand as a Belgian sour beer company.

The girlfriend loves Lactese Falcon. She had a sample at one of the C'est What festivals, loved it and ordered a whole pint! :o For the rest of the evening I had a pint of that stuff sitting next to me looking ominous. I told her that when we get home you're brushing your teeth and doing several rinses of mouthwash.

I've never been a fan of Sleeman beers (they're Honey Brown bothered me) but I had their Cream Ale at the Pickle Barrel (yeah I know!) at Y&E and it tasted awful. Later when Sleeman was on site at the Bow & Arrow doing a promo I refused sampling their beer from the fine beer babe.

I really dislike Belgian Wits and Unibroue beers. I've had plenty of both since the girlfriend likes them. I detest the smell of them and I detest the taste of them. I acknowledge them as all mostly well made beers, I just can't drink them.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Super-brewers Holsten deserves special credit, especially for anything with 'Bock' in the name.

Surely Floris. Anything they make tastes like bath beads.

Sleeman-branded beers can have a horrible chemical 'after haze' in your brain the next day.

Some of the St Bock and L'amere a Boire beers in Montreal were sadly questionable. Also Brouhaha and Cheval Blanc sometimes. The last three seem to sell very green beers when the demand overwhelms, but boo effing hoo. PTHHHH! Brutopia was just plain questionable. But fun.

Wittekerke Rosé / Rosarda offended me on a personal level. Aspartame in BEER?
In Beerum Veritas

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

sprague11 wrote:The thing that killed me about the Falcon was that it apparantly sold for just shy of 10 bucks for a bomber. I can't imagine anyone who would have the stomach to down that much of that beer.

If I get the chance to host a Hill Farmstead tasting this fall, I'm subjecting everyone to a sample glass of Indian Wells Raspberry beforehand just out of principal.
That's part of what killed me with Great Gats Beer, paying 8$+ for a 300ml serving. I terribly wanted to drain pour it but at that price forced it down.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

No top 5 but a few noteable ones;

A beer shouldn't taste like pizza nor a pizza like beer. Enough said.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sprecher-m ... eer/84683/

A bad bottle from a bad batch...but even at its best it's still bad.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hermitage-hoptopia/125178/

Trafalgar make a lot of shit but this one stands out in the memory.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/trafalgar- ... out/75180/

Every year they make it and every year it sucks. Why bother?
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gulf-islan ... ale/41164/

Want a beer that tastes like barley water with a boozy blue freezie was thawed in it? Yum!
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wild-blue/51222/14890/
Last edited by Jon Walker on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Griffes du Diable - 16.5% Quebecois Malt Liquor, and the last of the beer styles I ticked off on BA. The review brings back bad, bad memories...
Style 103. I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to drink something like this. This was the first malt liquor I've had in the 27 years of my life and I don't intend on drinking another. My brother-in-law makes moonshine and it hides its alcohol a lot more than this.

As Eric noted, the appearance is somewhat non-descript, but its light gold hue and fizzy head is what I'd expect from the style. The nose is horrific. The sugar alone is frightful, but the accompanying rocket fuel doesn't help it any. I shudder when I recall it If you hope that its gonna get any better once the flavour hits the tongue, don't kid yourself. This is corn syrup, if corn syrup was a petroleum byproduct. Sickeningly sweet with a huge alcohol presence that burns the back of the throat. There's something floral that could pass for hopping, but who knows? After this the night descended into chaos in a hurry.

What terrifies me about this is that it comes in a 22oz bottle, and I can't imagine someone getting through the whole thing unless under torture. This is really horrendous stuff and you'd have to be insane to drink it. I'm trying to rate this to style, and I honestly can't imagine there being another example out there that has the potential to be worse than this, Evil Eye included.

Thanks (with an asterisk) to ritzkiss for sharing this gem.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Bobsy wrote:Griffes du Diable - 16.5% Quebecois Malt Liquor, and the last of the beer styles I ticked off on BA. The review brings back bad, bad memories...
Style 103. I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to drink something like this. This was the first malt liquor I've had in the 27 years of my life and I don't intend on drinking another. My brother-in-law makes moonshine and it hides its alcohol a lot more than this.

As Eric noted, the appearance is somewhat non-descript, but its light gold hue and fizzy head is what I'd expect from the style. The nose is horrific. The sugar alone is frightful, but the accompanying rocket fuel doesn't help it any. I shudder when I recall it If you hope that its gonna get any better once the flavour hits the tongue, don't kid yourself. This is corn syrup, if corn syrup was a petroleum byproduct. Sickeningly sweet with a huge alcohol presence that burns the back of the throat. There's something floral that could pass for hopping, but who knows? After this the night descended into chaos in a hurry.

What terrifies me about this is that it comes in a 22oz bottle, and I can't imagine someone getting through the whole thing unless under torture. This is really horrendous stuff and you'd have to be insane to drink it. I'm trying to rate this to style, and I honestly can't imagine there being another example out there that has the potential to be worse than this, Evil Eye included.

Thanks (with an asterisk) to ritzkiss for sharing this gem.
Ah yes, that one was pretty good too! ;)

And as for how jet fuel is different from regular fuel, one is much stronger obviously! I don't really know how either tastes though...

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Worst beer I've ever had has to be Trafalgar Maple Bock. Coming in at a close second is PC 2.5g. My friend brought it to a BBQ the other day and it tasted like apple juice... horrible, horrible apple juice. Usually we wouldn't criticise free beer, but he got in shit for that stuff.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Labatt dry 10.1%. From what i've seen it's a Quebec only offering. Bought it as a joke. Its was unbelievably bad. Labatt dry cut with diesel.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

A couple of weeks ago at a family barbecue I started on a tin of Rolling Rock. I gave up after a few sips and announced it was the single worst beer I've ever tasted. I'd drink Lakeport or Bud before a Rolling Rock. I remember the scene in Deer Hunter where Michael (Robert De Niro) says something like "it's the best beer around here". I hope things have improved in the Pittsburgh area since then.

I know that on a board like this there'll be fans of Rodenbach Grand Cru but I think I'd have to put it at least as high as Rolling Rock on my worst beer list. It's been about five years since I tried it yet the mere thought of its vinegar overdose taste has me nauseated.