Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Worst Beers!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

I'll do three instead of five:

3. Rolling Rock. I had it for the first time last friday and I ended up up-chucking. Might have been a co-insidence, but might not have been.

2. Sleeman Clear. Not even as a last resort would I have this. Better to be sober.

1. Michelob Ultra. Wow wee is this just bad. How can you have something with such light amount of anything have such a bad taste.

If I had to round out the bottom five you could pick any high alcohol macro brews, that I only ever had once.

jprime

Post by jprime »

Mine would have to be:

Van Helsing’s All Natural Mouthwash from Alley Kat: garlic beer was a bad idea.

PC Honey red - like drinking butter - courtsy of my father in law every visit for 3 years!!

Shorts Nicie Spicie: like drinking and old, poorly cooked steak with too much steak spice on it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Rob Creighton wrote:Gotta back up the vote for Steelbacks Blue Thunder. I was at a funeral in Kincardine a couple of days after it came out and a local serving wench made me try a sample before she would pour me one. "Isn't that disgusting" was her comment to me. I owe her one for customer service.
Maybe the deceased had a Steeltub of Blue Thunder before shuffling off their mortal coil.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

In the past year the one beer that really stands out as being my 'Worst Beer" has to be Smashbomb. I'd read all the glowing reviews and how Ontario was going nuts over this fantastic, hoppy IPA/AIPA beer, that on my trip back to Toronto last October, I just had to try it. I lasted half a mouthful before gladly handing the pint over to some poor sap. There was just nothing there except a real harsh, unpleasant bitterness.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I enjoy Duvel so when I saw 'Navigator of Holland' at the Beer Store in Stratford I thought I would give it a try. Higher alcohol beer from a country that is a neighbor to Belgium, might be good. Ewwwwww!

IPASlav

Post by IPASlav »

I have to be honest, not that I want to crap on "craft" breweries particularly local ones, but this discussion would be more interesting if the focus was on craft breweries rather than a commercial macros. All of our OCBs producce some good beers, but lets admit, there's been some misses. So...

-Mill Street Milk Stout - I used to live by the brewpub and had the displeasure of drinking this - So laced with lactose I had a headache after a few sips...Best Pumpkin Ale in the province, though...

-Mill Street Oktoberfest lager...ON CASK...Hey! Quit serving lagers in warm casks!!! (I love it off cask fwiw)

-Some Church Key One-offs: Lactese Falcon, and that holiday porter that they had last winter - um, I'm pretty sure not everything is supposed to taste like a gueze.

-Another vote for Trafalgar's "extreme" beers...or any seasonal that's been on the shelf for over a week.

-Wellington County Ale (some of it) - not the taste (taste is fine) but the smell - why do some batches smell SO MUCH like aluminum?

-Chai Ale on cask at Brutopia in Montreal...smells like chai tea, tastes like...um..warm beer with dirt in it...

In fact, I'd like to put a vote in for any beer who advertises a flavour. The aroma is there and then you taste it and, oh, yeah, it's beer. Where's the flavour I was promised? (Well's Bananna Bread I'm looking in your direction. p.s. ST does the opposite of this)

Bogwater...There...I said it...don't pretend you weren't all thinking it!*

*Disclaimer: Beau's is awesome, and I can't wait for their night marzen to come out in bottles and their crazy five brewery collaboration was great...awesome brewery.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Philip1 wrote:...Rodenbach Grand Cru ... It's been about five years since I tried it yet the mere thought of its vinegar overdose taste has me nauseated.
It's a little too dusty and rancid-funky even for a 'wild soured' Belgian beer. Just too many impurities. I love the taste, but RGC gives me a headache whenever I try it.

Maybe some other soured ales like certain Gueuze push my 'foreign substance' tolerance limit but I don't fault those beers either. "The relationship just isn't working - it's not you, it's me.'
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sprague11 wrote:Hate to bump a nearly 10 year old thread, but rather than start a new thread i'd like to contribute my all-time bottom 5 so far.
Don’t be apologetic, this was a great idea. As a relatively new member, I can’t go back and read all the old posts. This is still a relevant topic.

StevenThrasher wrote:2. Sleeman Clear. Not even as a last resort would I have this. Better to be sober.
Won’t argue with this.

Cagiva650 wrote:I enjoy Duvel so when I saw 'Navigator of Holland' at the Beer Store in Stratford I thought I would give it a try. Higher alcohol beer from a country that is a neighbor to Belgium, might be good. Ewwwwww!
Agree. With the "Ewwwwww" that is.

Also recall a beer from Holland called “Mariner”. Might prefer to have Sleeman Clear. :)

IPASlav wrote:I have to be honest, not that I want to crap on "craft" breweries particularly local ones, but this discussion would be more interesting if the focus was on craft breweries rather than a commercial macros. All of our OCBs producce some good beers, but lets admit, there's been some misses. So...
I’ve never had anything from Old Credit that I’ve liked. Don’t see them mentioned much on this site. Any opinions?

Also had some Taps Cream Ale a few years ago that I found quite bad.
Last edited by S. St. Jeb on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I tried Rolling Rock last night, how does stale peanut flavoured dish water become so popular?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

icemachine wrote:I tried Rolling Rock last night, how does stale peanut flavoured dish water become so popular?
Probably a lot better than the processed peas flavour and aroma it had back in the 80's!!!!
Last edited by Torontoblue on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

The absolute worst beer I ever remember having is Steelback Silver. I imagine Steelback Silver is pretty close to what irradiated water tastes like.

According to my beer journal, these are the worst "craft" beers I've ever had. They all received 1.5 stars or less out of 5:

-Big Rock Grasshopper
-Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
-Heritage Maple Bush Lager
-I&G Limited Edition IPA 2007
-Mill Street Organic Lager
-New England Sea Hag IPA
-Robert Simpson Confederation Ale
-Rogue Smoke Ale
-Rogue Younger's Special Bitter
-Samuel Adams Triple Bock
-Scotch Irish Sgt. Major (Heritage version)
-Trafalgar Celebration Ale
-Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout
-Trafalgar Bock
-Trafalgar Elora ESB
-Vichtenaar

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Looking at some of my not so favorites from the OCB community:

Trafalgar Malted Corpse was pretty bad. I've had maybe 3 beers from Trafalgar I didn't find competely infected. The extreme beers they had a couple years back took a couple layers of enamel off my teeth.

I don't think they're really a craft brewery, but the Wolfgang's in the disovery pack a bit ago was pretty terrible.

Wellington Silver Wheat sucked.

I never cared for the Walkerville or Old Credit beers myself. \same for the old Heritage beers.

I really like Robert Simpson Confed. for cooking. Perfect for my bacon-wrapped chicken.

scagooch

Post by scagooch »

Kokanee was hard to finish off.

Anything with aspirations to taste like corn. Not a flavour I like in my beer.

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

I've got three...

Shocktop "wheat" was expectedly bad.

Zeppelin Framboise Extra stout was a drain pour for me http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/les-brasse ... se/143737/

I like a lot of what Amsterdam does but the 416 urban wheat pretty rough.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

sprague11 wrote:2. El Lapino - Lievre makes a half-decent IPA. I'm convinced this is a novelty purchase intended as a joke, Three of us attempted a bottle and it was downright horrible. The beer equivilant of eating a handful of cheap Jalapino's
- As soon as I saw this thread, El Lapino came to mind. I knew it wasn't going to be good, so I waited till I had a bunch of people to share it with.

- Any of the Railway City that tasted like cigarettes. I still avoid buying Railway City from the LCBO.

- Any of the Chapeau shit that's made it into the LCBO.

- Trafalgar.

- Weyerbacher Fourteen.