Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ice Cider is a brilliant tipple, pick up a bottle or two next time you see it.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Saw the Ephemere Apple for the first time today. If had a nifty little green add-on sticker bellow the label that read "Beer with Apple". Good thing too, as I couldn't tell from the picture of apples on the original lable, or the words "apple" and "pomme" also on the label that this particular beer had apples in it.

I can only hope that this additional sticker was an add on in Chambly for particularly dim anglophones and not another bizare LCBO labeling policy.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

boney wrote:If had a nifty little green add-on sticker bellow the label that read "Beer with Apple".
:o It wasn't in both official languages!?

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Bytowner wrote:
boney wrote:If had a nifty little green add-on sticker bellow the label that read "Beer with Apple".
Actually, it was.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

skaghevn wrote:
Bytowner wrote:
Actually, it was.
Whew! I had the letter drafted to Dalton and everything.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skaghevn wrote:
Bytowner wrote:
Actually, it was.
Are there really cave-dwelling communities of French who can't read a few English words on a bottle label?

If so, I'm VERY glad to pay this extra money for labels (how much can it really cost? A buck or two on a six-pack?) Honestly if it were not for these beer labels I would know very little French (as every good Canadian should.)

Maybe we can expand this policy to include all native languages on all products as well! How hard can it be (just attach a small booklet if the labels are getting too big.) I badly want to learn Ojibway.
In Beerum Veritas

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Belgian wrote:I badly want to learn Ojibway.
Just try not to learn Ojibway badly, eh?

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Belgian wrote:Are there really cave-dwelling communities of French who can't read a few English words on a bottle label?
Yup. It's called "France".

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Illuminatus wrote:
Belgian wrote:Are there really cave-dwelling communities of French who can't read a few English words on a bottle label?
And the quality of the paleolithic cave art IS quite high... but I meant that here we have a "bilingual" country which at great expense enforces the demands of a staunchly monolingualist culture... instead why can't we all just accept international products as they are labelled and save billions in costs (while encouraging everyone to be semi-literate.)
In Beerum Veritas

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Phew! For a minute here I thought we were talking about a bilingual label affixed to a Unibroue product which was already bilingually labeled. Insofar as that goes, I suspect the LCBO found the font size for the words "Bière" and "Beer" to be far too small, and so demanded a more legible label.
I meant that here we have a "bilingual" country which at great expense enforces the demands of a staunchly monolingualist culture
Maudit anglais!

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Belgian wrote:
Illuminatus wrote:
And the quality of the paleolithic cave art IS quite high... but I meant that here we have a "bilingual" country which at great expense enforces the demands of a staunchly monolingualist culture... instead why can't we all just accept international products as they are labelled and save billions in costs (while encouraging everyone to be semi-literate.)
I agree completely. That being said, the chance that government silliness will be reduced is nil.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I'm in Calgary for the weekend and I was doing a little beer shopping when I ran across Alberta's version of Ephemere Apple. Of course there was no additional add-on sticker. Aparantly Albertan's are smarter, or have better eyesight, or don't need extra advertizing to drink funny beers. Huh. Well what do you know about that?