Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Summer 2008 Release

Post by GregClow »

The following beers are planned to be included in the LCBO's Summer, 2008 seasonal beer promotion. All beers have been released, although some have now sold out.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizen-Mix (2.5% - $1.95/330 ml - LCBO 63511)
Great Lakes Orange Peel (5.3% - $4.95/650 ml - LCBO 615633)
Wells Bombardier Burning Gold (4.7% - $3.45/568 ml - LCBO 74484)
Christoffel Bier (6.0% - $2.80/330 ml - LCBO 696955)
Chapeau Lemon (3.5% - $2.40/250 ml - LCBO 76034)
Chapeau Kriek (3.5% - $2.10/250 ml - LCBO 76117)
Brussels White (4.8% - $2.05/330 ml - LCBO 411157)
St. Peter's Golden Ale (4.7% - $3.50/500 ml - LCBO 84871)
Grolsch Weizen (5.5% - $2.75/473 ml - LCBO 73734)
Unibroue Ephemere Apple (5.5% - $5.25/750 ml - LCBO 74500)
Edelweiss Snowfresh Weissbier (5.0% - $2.05/330 ml - LCBO 73718)
Brakspear Bitter (3.4% - $3.35/500 ml - LCBO 909531)
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (5.4% - $2.85/500 ml - LCBO 75291)
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

That's a pretty good looking list, with some excellent summer beers in there. The only ones I'm NOT looking forward too are the Chapeau beers. Kind of intrigued by the Grolsch Weizen, and more than a bit excited for the Weihenstephaner....

Magni

Post by Magni »

It is with extreme sadness that I will not be around to enjoy the Ephemere.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Nice...Weihenstephaner is a great beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think the Weihenstephaner is the crown jewel of this release...

and Christoffel is one of the best hoppy lager on the planet.

Some other little diversions in there too but the Weizens keep coming back at the LCBO don't they? That is something they do very right (AND having some variety each time - although I will be after a case or two of the Weihenstephaner, you can be assured - it is going to do well here if it is a major hit in the USA.)
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

An intriguing list and, if memory serves me correctly, a nice little step up from last summer's offerings.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The Grolsch really intrigues me. I find their flagship is very disappointing, but all the rave reviews for this hefe have got me excited. A solid lineup of wheats, some fruit beers I may actually try and a decent bitter. This is the best summer release I can remember, and whups last year's.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Last summer we had chapeu banana, that was too much for me, although when spring rolled around I noticed the shelves empty of fruli, so not much can be said for personal taste.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

for some reason after trying last years chapeau banana it immediately reminded me of the bottle of antibiotics my doctor prescribed me.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

devonsleigh wrote:for some reason after trying last years chapeau banana it immediately reminded me of the bottle of antibiotics my doctor prescribed me.
Ha! It reminded me of those banana marshmallows that give you a belly ache if you eat a dozen.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

jaymack wrote:Ha! It reminded me of those banana marshmallows that give you a belly ache if you eat a dozen.
Mmmm... I've got a cast-iron stomach for those things.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The girlfriend will be especially happy with the Brussels White and the Ephemere. She's a huge fan of both.

I guess I'm the only one here that liked the Chapeau Banana. Heh. I've got a massive sweet tooth and can drink a whole bottle of the sweetest ice wine no problem. The Kriek may be interesting but I'm not so sure on the Lemon. I've never been a big fan of anything lemony.

It'll be good to try some other weisses and two new (for me) English bitters. I quite like the currently available Bombardier.
lister

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

brussels white, ephemere and weihenstephaner. awesome!

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

I'm looking forward to checking out several of them.

Any time another variety of Unibroue is coming my way is good news to me. :)

I wonder if the Great Lakes will actually be the Orange Peel, or maybe their Chocolate Orange ? Or was the Chocolate Orange draught a seasonal one-off?
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Magni

Post by Magni »

I really don't remember being a huge fan of the Orange Peel Ale, it'd be nice to see something a little different.