Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

JesseM wrote:Why the hell is Tottenham hording all the Belhaven Wee Heavy at the moment? 143 bottles? What the hell? :lol:
Gotta increase tourism somehow!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

that was pretty sneaky of westmalle dubbel to just show up unannounced, unplanned for at my local LC on a friday...

Happy Weekend!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:I checked with the LCBO today about the 1845. It's still in bond at Whitby. Could start turning up this weekend or next week.
You still have some of the 2007? This one ages well! I'm glad you got me to grab a case.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

cannondale wrote:that was pretty sneaky of westmalle dubbel to just show up unannounced, unplanned for at my local LC on a friday...

Happy Weekend!
Did it scan at all when it was at the cash? It's still not in the computer system, which is probably one of my biggest peeves with the LCBO because it makes me feel like going out in search of something is a total crap-shoot that more often than not results in disappointment, and also outrageous anger. :evil:

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Did it scan at all when it was at the cash? It's still not in the computer system, which is probably one of my biggest peeves with the LCBO because it makes me feel like going out in search of something is a total crap-shoot that more often than not results in disappointment, and also outrageous anger.
Outrageous anger? I thought we were just talking about beer?

Nevertheless, the Westmalle scanned like a hot knife through butter. Apparently there isn't a 1 to 1 correspondance between the online listings and their store systems. They had at least 4 cases of the Dubbel at this location, and it is in excellent shape.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:
cannondale wrote:that was pretty sneaky of westmalle dubbel to just show up unannounced, unplanned for at my local LC on a friday...

Happy Weekend!
Did it scan at all when it was at the cash? It's still not in the computer system, which is probably one of my biggest peeves with the LCBO because it makes me feel like going out in search of something is a total crap-shoot that more often than not results in disappointment, and also outrageous anger. :evil:

Outrageous anger? You gotta chill a bit dude!

That shouldn't happen very often. In fact, I've seen it maybe twice in my 4 years with the LCBO. On occasion, a six pack will not scan when we scan a bottle from a six pack, but scanning the USPC code on the actual six pack will usually work.
Secondly, if worse comes to worse, there are several single bottle breaker numbers that can be used if this does in fact happen. There are breaker numbers for domestic and import beers. If something doesn't scan, we use a breaker number.

I think it is time that we stop looking for every single little excuse to be angry with the LCBO, and start focusing on positive discussion when it comes to craft beer in this province.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

the only problem i have with the LCBO now (i had many when i worked there) is that they do not do a very good job with education/distrobution/availibility of craft beer. after shopping in the states ive learned that we actually have very good prices on craft beer, our macro prices are crazy high but who care is a 6er of bud is $11.95?? the LCBO isnt great for the craft beer scene but we could have it much worse.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Forther to Matt - yes, Fans of "real beer" can find good enough, cheap enough most places here... assuming they know enough about it to become fans in the first place. And are patient seekers.

As for education & distribution:

It's a matter of whether the LCBO has any real motivation to create additional 'real beer' drinkers and then to serve them particularly well. Don't the Province already have a huge, docile market in love with Top Ten lagers? Financially this model already works for them - that's all I am saying. They wor't fix what isn't broken for them.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

The Westmalle Dubbel has shown up early in Hamilton now as well.....and on the shelves in 6-packs with absolutely no english on them no less. The cashier had to aks me if the $3.45 that scanned in (on the bottle) was for the six pack or just one bottle. Haha.

As LCBO annoyance seems to be constant and spread over any number of threads. Maybe there should be a brand new thread especially devoted to gripes about the LCBO? "Streamlined bitching or why I hate the LCBO". :)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

boney wrote:The Westmalle Dubbel has shown up early in Hamilton now as well.....and on the shelves in 6-packs with absolutely no english on them no less. The cashier had to aks me if the $3.45 that scanned in (on the bottle) was for the six pack or just one bottle. Haha.

As LCBO annoyance seems to be constant and spread over any number of threads. Maybe there should be a brand new thread especially devoted to gripes about the LCBO? "Streamlined bitching or why I hate the LCBO". :)

Or maybe a thread on how a retail employee has no way of knowing thousands of SKUs?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
JesseM wrote:

Happy Weekend!

Outrageous anger? You gotta chill a bit dude!

That shouldn't happen very often. In fact, I've seen it maybe twice in my 4 years with the LCBO. On occasion, a six pack will not scan when we scan a bottle from a six pack, but scanning the USPC code on the actual six pack will usually work.
Secondly, if worse comes to worse, there are several single bottle breaker numbers that can be used if this does in fact happen. There are breaker numbers for domestic and import beers. If something doesn't scan, we use a breaker number.

I think it is time that we stop looking for every single little excuse to be angry with the LCBO, and start focusing on positive discussion when it comes to craft beer in this province.
It has happened to me too many times. But please don't think I'm just venting on the LCBO for the sake of venting on the LCBO. It's something that genuinely bugs me, granted it is partially my fault for being overly optimistic and trusting. Also understand Len, when I use terms like 'outrageous anger', I'm usually exaggerating :P.

Anyways, the reverse situation happened today, the stuff popped up at the store I happened to check into. Got a couple bottles that I'm looking forward to. $3.45 is kind of harsh for me at the moment on my current budget, but I'm sure it could probably be more expensive in other parts of the world.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Or maybe a thread on how a retail employee has no way of knowing thousands of SKUs?
Indeed. Of all the gripes on the LCBO this can hardly be one of them.
Let's face it, there can't be that many people that will ask for it which includes this relatively small bar towel crowd.

I'm down to about 10 bottles of the 8 cases I bought from the fall '06 batch. Looking forward to stocking up. I am just back from the Netherlands where you can get Westmalle Dubbel in the grocery store for 0.93 Euros and in most pubs for around 2.50 Euro. Before Peter gets mad at me yes I know that for all intents and purposes a Belgian beer is basically a domestic beer in the Netherlands so this is completely unfair price comparison. It is still quite worth the $3+ here for this superb beer. And Hertog Jan was 8.99 euro for 24 bottles to put it in perspective.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
boney wrote:The Westmalle Dubbel has shown up early in Hamilton now as well.....and on the shelves in 6-packs with absolutely no english on them no less. The cashier had to aks me if the $3.45 that scanned in (on the bottle) was for the six pack or just one bottle. Haha.

Or maybe a thread on how a retail employee has no way of knowing thousands of SKUs?
My last post was primarily amusment and sarcasm. However, I was serious about a separate LCBO debate/venting thread....pro and con (for the record, I've actually never really had a truely off-putting experience at any LCBO in the 7 years I've been in Ontario). It would result in fewer derailed threads and everyone (myself included) making off-hand comments about off-hand comments. I also appreciate the irony of this post addressing the relivance of off-hand comments with another off-hand comment.....so I'll just shut up and drink my beer now.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Belgian wrote:
You still have some of the 2007? This one ages well! I'm glad you got me to grab a case.
Yes I have about 6-8 left each of the 05,06 and 07. At some point I want to do a vertical tasting and see how they've all fared.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm tired of the LCBO whining in every thread as well. I'd be for a LCBO complaint thread sticky... the mods could even move stuff over when people don't comply... though that could be a lot work!