Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Back on track.................Westmalle Dubbel is hitting London shelves. I went to an LCBO location today (I'm not working today). They had them out in six packs, so I paid $3.45 for a six pack, and I wasn't about to tell a fellow employee that they made a mistake, as that would be embarassing for them. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Except that it will totally screw up inventory numbers as they will think they have it in stock when they don't as your sale means one bottle out of inventory when their inventory will still show another 5 available. Sorry, but it screws me and it screws up our efforts to move these type of beers...at least tell which store by PM so that I can contact them and let them know they are screwing up and don't have the inventory they think they have so that they can re-order.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

As for pricing, I don't get mad at anyone about pricing because anyone who thinks this stuff is expensive doesn't know anything about the real world. Just called Premier Gourmet in Buffalo and Westmalle Dubbel is $4.99 plus tax (the employee thinks it's 8%)...CAD3.45 looks awful good to me without the gas money and the several hours it takes to get there and back plus the potential taxes and duties that might be paid on return. Actually, I think we'll raise the price for the next order (if there is one) as we're giving the stuff away. We normally sell it in Consignment for $4.05 and we can't keep it in stock. Rest assured, prices on Belgians in Ontario are the best you're going to get on this side of the Atlantic...that's a fact, Jack! I was recently in Copenhagen and paid EUR5.00 for one in a bar.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

esprit wrote:As for pricing, I don't get mad at anyone about pricing because anyone who thinks this stuff is expensive doesn't know anything about the real world. Just called Premier Gourmet in Buffalo and Westmalle Dubbel is $4.99 plus tax (the employee thinks it's 8%)...CAD3.45 looks awful good to me without the gas money and the several hours it takes to get there and back plus the potential taxes and duties that might be paid on return. Actually, I think we'll raise the price for the next order (if there is one) as we're giving the stuff away. We normally sell it in Consignment for $4.05 and we can't keep it in stock. Rest assured, prices on Belgians in Ontario are the best you're going to get on this side of the Atlantic...that's a fact, Jack! I was recently in Copenhagen and paid EUR5.00 for one in a bar.

The price of the Westmalle is excellent, there is no doubt about that. I for one am very happy with it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Some belgian beers were indeed stupid cheap & it was time for an adjustment (weren't WM Tripel and Rochefort "8" each sold for just 2.95 in 2005, that's almost crazy.)

Strangely, I find I'm drinking far less belgians than before, and NOT because of their price or quality. There are just so many cool German & English style beers made here & abroad. Never used to care for English beers much either!

With the über-cool belgians you can almost buy decent wine for the volume & ABV ratio-to-cost...and I like "grape beer" too... either way we still pay the tax man. LOL!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: With the über-cool belgians you can almost buy decent wine for the volume & ABV ratio-to-cost...
By that logic you'd be buying nothing but 500 ml cans of German lagers at the LCBO! They have long been one of the best deals in terms of volume/cost

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

esprit wrote:As for pricing, I don't get mad at anyone about pricing because anyone who thinks this stuff is expensive doesn't know anything about the real world. Just called Premier Gourmet in Buffalo and Westmalle Dubbel is $4.99 plus tax (the employee thinks it's 8%)...CAD3.45 looks awful good to me without the gas money and the several hours it takes to get there and back plus the potential taxes and duties that might be paid on return. Actually, I think we'll raise the price for the next order (if there is one) as we're giving the stuff away. We normally sell it in Consignment for $4.05 and we can't keep it in stock. Rest assured, prices on Belgians in Ontario are the best you're going to get on this side of the Atlantic...that's a fact, Jack! I was recently in Copenhagen and paid EUR5.00 for one in a bar.
I've been shadowing bartowel for about a year now and have read many of your posts/rants.. this particular post/rant has made me seriously consider boycotting your imports. Either that or I'll go to the LCBO and clear the shelves of these 'giveaway' Westmalle's....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I mean to compare 'decent' options, not bottom-line cheap deals. A purchase of three or more five-dollar Belgians compares pretty closely to a respectable bottle of wine, for ABV, quality & price. It's about as good an experience either way.

It's not a negative thing some belgian beers are respected & valued as much as many wines, and firmly priced. It simply becomes a more neutral choice in terms of dollar-value. Some will choose beer over wine, I can enjoy either.
In Beerum Veritas

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Garthicus wrote:
esprit wrote: Actually, I think we'll raise the price for the next order (if there is one) as we're giving the stuff away.
this particular post/rant has made me seriously consider boycotting your imports.
Peter has been doing this for 20 odd years. He is PERFECTLY entitled to pick any price he wants to make as much money as he can plain and simple.
If it constantly sells out and the LCBO keeps only bringing it in as an occasional seasonal he would be stupid not to raise the price.

The last time it came in in 2006 I bought 8 cases which if I remember correctly was about 5% of the pitifully small amount the LCBO ordered for the entire Ontario seasonal supply.

I would not boycott any of Peter's beers based on his prices.

Of course as a consumer I might choose to lower my quantities if for instance the ratio of the Westmalle Dubbel price v.s. the Unibroue Trois Pistoles rose to where it made more sense to swing over to buying more Trois Pistoles.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Is the Westmalle out? It's not showing anything other than the future gift pack on the LCBO website when I look for it.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

My issue is not with the price, more with the tone.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Is the Westmalle out? It's not showing anything other than the future gift pack on the LCBO website when I look for it.
Short, non-lecturing about reading the thread answer: Yes.

I hope you manage to find it despite the lack of LCBO e-guidance!

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

cannondale wrote:
Short, non-lecturing about reading the thread answer: Yes.

I hope you manage to find it despite the lack of LCBO e-guidance!
OK it's out but why is not coming up on the LC website? I'm just getting a listing for the gift pack.

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

Good question, Jan. I don't know the answer, but I do know that LCBO's in-store database is working, and that as of yesterday the Keele and St. Clair location had 70-odd bottles.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I made a tongue in cheek remark about pricing and, once again, I'm going to be boycotted...so be it. For every boycotter we no doubt will find 10 people who are newly turned on to our great beers (wow, what an arrogant statement...should be boycotted for that one). I was trying to make a point about the great price since someone commented that it was expensive...if that's enough to bring on boycotts then bring them on. Why do you care about me and what I say? If you like the beers, drink them. If you don't like my posts/rants, ignore me but don't get your shorts in a knot...and the "shadowing" comment is a bit scary...you're not that guy sitting in the car outside my house at 3AM in the morning...are you?
No specialty beer agent in this province is getting rich from selling these products. We bring them to market at incredibly good prices with small margins for us. Sometimes we are rewarded with a bill for $8,000 which is what it cost me to have Brussels White strip-labelled which the brewery would not swallow and my massive commission on the order was less than $2,000 because I was trying to get Brussels White in for $1.95. Anyhow, I'm starting to rant here again and I promised myself I wouldn't. Buju, where are you when I need you?