Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Ralphus wrote:So, given the list, what's everyone's favorite and 'beer I was looking forward to but didn't really do it for me'?
There's several outstanding beers on that list so it's pretty hard to pick a favorite. However I was pleasantly surprised by how favourably the Adnams held up to the similar 1845. Despite having had both on many occasions prior to this release I don't believe they've ever been out simultaneously so the side by side was a very happy experiment.

Since there isn't really one that I've never had before I guess I'd vote for the Trafalgar SO stout as the least impressive. No great surprise there. Also never been much of a fan of the Holy Grail Ale...cute marketing but underwhelming beer.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Ralphus wrote:So, given the list, what's everyone's favorite and 'beer I was looking forward to but didn't really do it for me'?
A lot of this year's list consists of returning friends, so I've been able to select the best and leave the others by the wayside. Looking at it and recalling my first experience with each one, I'd have to say the Burton Porter was a complete let-down. I had it side by side with Perry's porter last year, and the Burton paled in comparison.

My favourite is a bit harder to pick... perhaps the Sam Smith's?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:
Ralphus wrote:I'd have to say the Burton Porter was a complete let-down. I had it side by side with Perry's porter last year, and the Burton paled in comparison.
I'm surprised this, and the Harvey's Porter were brought back as they are both really an awful example of the style. The Burton Porter is just gutless and brings nothing to the palate, and I've yet to have a good bottle of the Harvey's too. The Agent must have some really pull with the Board to get this one entered into the program again ;-)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote:
Bobsy wrote:I'd have to say the Burton Porter was a complete let-down. I had it side by side with Perry's porter last year, and the Burton paled in comparison.
I'm surprised this, and the Harvey's Porter were brought back as they are both really an awful example of the style. The Burton Porter is just gutless and brings nothing to the palate, and I've yet to have a good bottle of the Harvey's too. The Agent must have some really pull with the Board to get this one entered into the program again ;-)
The Burton & black irish were alright, but I'll just be buying more nutcracker this year.
Last edited by Derek on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jon Walker wrote:
There's several outstanding beers on that list so it's pretty hard to pick a favorite. However I was pleasantly surprised by how favourably the Adnams held up to the similar 1845. Despite having had both on many occasions prior to this release I don't believe they've ever been out simultaneously so the side by side was a very happy experiment.

Since there isn't really one that I've never had before I guess I'd vote for the Trafalgar SO stout as the least impressive. No great surprise there. Also never been much of a fan of the Holy Grail Ale...cute marketing but underwhelming beer.

Strange thing for me is that I really like the 1845, but the Adnams is a drain pour. Funny thing the palate is.
I don't mind the Holy Grail, as it is a moderately hopped golden ale, but if I want hops, I'll just go to STIPA.

And against my better judgement, I purchased a bottle of the Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal to bring to a party, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the product. Very, very smoky with lots of old porter like qualities.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Adnams and the Rogue brown were my top two. 1845 is up there, but not new to me so there wasn't much of a surprise there.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Rogue Hazelnut was probably the single stand out for me. I just absolutely love the stuff. Everything about works perfectly for me. Westmalle Dubbel is a close second, especially served at close to room temperature.

The Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout was by far the worst. For a Trafalgar product it was actually drinkable, but I found it so watery and boring, no body to it whatsoever, it was like pathetic smokey water. That's my opinion of it.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

The Rogue was probably my favourite out of all the releases. I introduced quite a few people to it who also enjoyed it a lot!

The Trafalgar was a bit too thin for me as far as beers go. I bought two bottles when they first came out in Sept, and sadly one is still sitting in my fridge unless I wish to visit misery on someone's palate.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I'm not sure what my favorite was.. if I had to choose perhaps Sam Smith's Imperial. Man that's good! Very high marks for Harvey's porter, the 1859 and the Rogue Hazelnut as well.

I thought The Smoked Oatmeal was astoundingly bad. Over the top smokiness.. like drinking from an ashtray that's left out in the rain.

I'm going to go get a Rogue hazelnut just to wash away that bad memory ;)

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

My favourite of the fall release was definitel the Rogue Hazelnut Brown. 2nd fav is probably the Sam Smiths Imperial, with the 1845 next, closely followed by St. Peters Cream Stout. I was a little underwhelmed by the 1845 though, but maybe my expectations were just too high. Only one I havent had so far that I may still try is the Koningshoeven tripel. The one that I liked the least was Adnams, which wasnt bad at all, but just not for me. Keep in mind I didnt even bother to try a couple such as the Trafalgar and Burton porter, as I didnt think I would like them.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I really enjoyed the Koningshoeven. It looks to have been corked in 07' as well, or at least all the bottles I have are. It's also very sweet and smooth in comparison to the tap version which i find more bitter. I like it either way though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I was underwhelmed with the Rogue H N but it's important to try beers a few times (and with a sharp palate!)

The Konings is good. My first-ever bottles (Premier) were probably older, and had a cidery appearance that was a bit globby, but these tasted utterly fantastic. So these beers probably gain from at least 4-6 months of laying down (why else would they bottle-condition it?)

The beer is great as it is but it some time brings out flavors (notably the deep apple-butter quality.) I'm stocking up on a few (maybe I'll return a case or two of Blue Cap to justify all these purchases!)
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:I was underwhelmed with the Rogue H N but it's important to try beers a few times (and with a sharp palate!)

The Konings is good. My first-ever bottles (Premier) were probably older, and had a cidery appearance that was a bit globby, but these tasted utterly fantastic. So these beers probably gain from at least 4-6 months of laying down (why else would they bottle-condition it?)

The beer is great as it is but it some time brings out flavors (notably the deep apple-butter quality.) I'm stocking up on a few (maybe I'll return a case or two of Blue Cap to justify all these purchases!)
if you return any blue cap please return them to a cambridge location so i can grab them. or just trade me the blue cap for the Konings, either way if you have blue cap to spare please let me know

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I've tried a lot of this batch before, so my favorite new find is not necessarily my favorite of the bunch. The new beer I really liked was the St. Peter's Cream Stout. Milk chocolate, medium roasted coffee and bitterness in perfect balance with a killer slick creamy mouthfeel. I was totally underwhelmed by the Belhaven Wee Heavy......caramel with a little peat and that's about it. Gave away a couple of left over bottles.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Belgian! If you have Blue Cap to spare let me know. I will definitely take some off your hands.[/quote]