Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

No or low fizz beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

toweringpine

No or low fizz beer

Post by toweringpine »

Due to recent gastric surgery I must avoid carbonated beverages. I can easily stay away from soda but I really miss beer. I have had a few cans of 'widget' beer, they go quite flat after a few minutes. I am wondering what other beers are out there that have little or no carbonation. Or beer that still is enjoyable when if has been left to go flat.

Any ideas?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Barleywines come to mind
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cask ales tend to have lower carbonation. Although that won't really help you for home drinking.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

make your own and don't carbonate it? some styles work better than others without carbonation.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Thomas Hardy's Ale.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

water.....

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

with a shot of CC...

Magni

Post by Magni »

My first bet would be a nice cask ale, mmmm... cask. Boddingtons goes flat pretty fast too.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

So many beers use carbonation(or nitrogen) as part of the flavour/mouth experience. It's hard to say. Is this some sort of 'one hand clapping' question?

Sorry to be insensitive...I guess I'll second the cask ale suggestion. The Granite will even let you take some home if you ask nice.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I said it once, and I'll say it again, Barleywines
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Tapsucker wrote:The Granite will even let you take some home if you ask nice.
The Granite Beer Store will most definitely fill up a growler for Best Bitter Special or IPA for you. I've done it many times.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

the growler idea is good too, since you could loosen the cap to release the pressure, then close it and put it back in the fridge. should help lower/eliminate the carbonation.

one thing to consider is that the experience will change without the carbonation. having sampled my homebrew at various stages, including warm+flat, it's always interesting to see how much different it comes across just by cooling it or adding the carbonation. some styles will certainly fare better than others: as mentioned, old ale, barleywine, bitters and other traditional cask ales.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Trafalgar.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Belgian wrote:Trafalgar.
only if you catch it in the first week after it's released. beyond that it turns into an over carbonated infected bag of garbage.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Any beer will work if you open it and wait about 24 hours to drink it....