Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier IPA / Dog Fish Head - where art thou?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

While all the great minds of the LCBO are reasoning the need for labelling each individual bottle of a 6.5% beer as "strong"...I'm severely jonesing for some IPA...stocked up on imperial stouts last time I went to the states, thinking I'd be able to buy ST and DFH at the LC by now...remind me why I had any faith in them to begin with??? :(

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I am so close to swearing that I will never set foot in another LC for the rest of my life...and it aint the 3 barley wines talkin (which I had to drive to Buffalo to get of course, because there are no barley wines at the LC...for shame)...just when you think the LC is starting to turn things around in their beer dept, reality sets in.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I actually got the craving for a barley wine just last night, a big time craving too. I have one bottle of St. Amboise vintage ale in my cellar, and one bottle of Thomas Hardy's, both of which I want to stay in there a lot longer. But I was mighty tempted to crack one open. I really wish we had something like Hair of the Dog or Sierra Nevada Big Foot available to us :( .

And I'm always craving an IPA.

j0eb0nd7

Post by j0eb0nd7 »

Had a can of Headstrong Pale Ale on Wednesday. Damn is that ever good! It will ease the pain of waiting for Southern Tier IPA. The cans are nice for the TFC tailgate parties!

Cheers

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

detritus wrote: So... you don't like the walk-in stores 'cause you think it leads to stale product, and you don't like the order-at-the-front stores either. Any other kind of beer stores you don't like?

-Josh
This Q was to Jesse, however I think Josh almost every Beer Store offers something special to dislike, and we should always be open to the experience and not generalize.

Apathetic staff service, grumpy clerks "bossing" you like jackasses when you return bottles - plus a lot of locations either look really bad or smell like the runoff from a dumpster. So I think they ALL have merits, and no two are the same, right?

2 cents. :D
In Beerum Veritas

j0eb0nd7

Post by j0eb0nd7 »

My favourite past time is to bring back all my American bottles. Different colours, shapes and sizes all mixed in with a handful of legit bottles. Then I watch for the reaction!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'd certainly be really pissed about this had I not received a dozen west coast IPAs in the mail this week and brought a 6 pack of corn du diable back from Montreal. I feel that I hold one of the kinder attitudes to the LCBO, but after being exposed to some of the selection available to other Canadians it's becoming a little harder to give them a break. However, I do think they are moving in the right direction (albeit slowly).

On an ST-related note, does anyone see a similarity between Unearthly and DDC's Chaman in flavour profile?

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Bobsy wrote:I'd certainly be really pissed about this had I not received a dozen west coast IPAs in the mail this week and brought a 6 pack of corn du diable back from Montreal.
Argh. I couldn't find any Corne du Diable in Gatineau this weekend. Had to make do with bringing back a bunch of Peche Mortel.

-Josh

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Anchor Steam is at the Front St. LCBO. Also surprised by the return of Heritage Maple Bush.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Gedge wrote:Anchor Steam is at the Front St. LCBO. Also surprised by the return of Heritage Maple Bush.
Also saw the steam today at the Yonge/Eglinton store in the mall. Availability should be pretty wide spread by the weekend if not already.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

detritus wrote:
Bobsy wrote:I'd certainly be really pissed about this had I not received a dozen west coast IPAs in the mail this week and brought a 6 pack of corn du diable back from Montreal.
Argh. I couldn't find any Corne du Diable in Gatineau this weekend. Had to make do with bringing back a bunch of Peche Mortel.

-Josh
Same here! Last Sunday, I brought my dad to Jovi for the first time - he loves the Corne Du Diable - only to be shut out. I snagged the last pack of Dernier Volonte that I saw.

But the girl at the counter was super-nice, and took my dad's request and phone number, and said that the beer guy would call him when it's in.

Where did you try?

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

I was at Wilson and dufferin LCBO today and there was nothing new. The feature rack in the beer area was empty and an employee was in there unloading cases and cases of... Rickards.

Talk about a let down.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

sstackho wrote:
detritus wrote:

-Josh
Same here! Last Sunday, I brought my dad to Jovi for the first time - he loves the Corne Du Diable - only to be shut out. I snagged the last pack of Dernier Volonte that I saw.

But the girl at the counter was super-nice, and took my dad's request and phone number, and said that the beer guy would call him when it's in.

Where did you try?
Also Jovi. A friend said he'd been to one of the Trappe a Fromages and struck out there too.

-Josh

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Just picked up Samuel Adams Summer Ale at the Dundurn LCBO in Hamilton this afternoon. Hopefully Southern Tier isn't too far off.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

j0eb0nd7 wrote:Had a can of Headstrong Pale Ale on Wednesday. Damn is that ever good! It will ease the pain of waiting for Southern Tier IPA. The cans are nice for the TFC tailgate parties!

Cheers
The (presumably) Grand River brewed version is now on tap at the Castle on King.