Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier IPA / Dog Fish Head - where art thou?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Because it's an additional delay on top of the initial one?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JesseM wrote:Because it's an additional delay on top of the initial one?
I could also add that the LCBO has delayed long enough in getting good beer on its shelves, but that would be a cheap shot and totally out of character.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:Meanwhile the cases sit in the warehouse slowly deteriorating.
They're just becoming more authentic! :D

(Historically, it was a long voyage from Britain to India)
That's funny, I got the joke.

But actually I was hoping to also try it a few weeks after bottling. Maybe next year we'll see it sooner -- that is, IF Southern Tier does not run away (screaming) from the freakish LCBO process.

Our litte province has alienated SO many good producers for these very same reasons, and our LC store selection suffers for it. Maybe the LCBO need to assess the quality of their own work -- ie. the way the Bureau acquires & handles products - just any business would.

They are missing the point of what they should be doing (which is putting products and consumers first.)
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Except it isn't. From page 1 of the thread, on May 16.
Jon Walker wrote: The Southern Tier IPA does indeed have a listing number. I have it written down somewhere but alas cannot find it. If you call the LCBO info line they can give it to you. The current status of the beer is that it's through lab testing and is being cleared for store shipments within the next 7-10 days. So, based on past experience, expect to see it in some stores within 2-3 weeks, others 3-4 weeks.?
That would put in in stores 2-3 weeks from May 16, or this week. No delay yet.

Page 2, May 22:
Jon Walker wrote: To bring this thread back on track...Southern Tier IPA has passed lab testing and has an LCBO product number. It is 81737. Not up on the website yet since the beer is still being held up at due to a "packaging issue". Apparently the LCBO doesn't like the fact that the cases contain open topped six packs which for reasons that mystify me need to be remedied before they can ship the beer to stores. Still possible this could be worked out before the end of the month but the beer could and likely will be held up as a result. I think it's a fair bet to say the first week of June for on shelf availability is optimistic.
First sign of delay and talk of packaging issues. Possible it could be worked out but unlikely by the first week of June.

Page 5, May 26, update from R&R with no set date, just an any day now.
Roland + Russell wrote: As far as the ST IPA, it has not hit the stores yet as the cartons had to be re-labeled with a Shipping Container Barcode. It is expected to be available any time now.
Page 7, May 27, Hawks28 quoting from "An Introduction to American Craft Beer":
It says the ST IPA and Rogue Dead Guy will be available in June, and the DFH 60 min will be here in July.
On page 8, there's some talk about where the potential release date of May came from, but there's no conclusion over where that cam from. But it didn't come from the LCBO or R&R.

Then page 11, June 6:
kormt wrote: I called the LCBO info line on Tuesday, and the person I spoke with said that it might still be a couple of weeks before it hits the shelves. Said there were labelling issues on ST's end that had to be rectified before it could go out.
The info line is saying a couple of weeks from the first week of June, the same information that was alreayd provided in this thread. That's only a couple of weeks after the original release date, and still in the month of June specified in the LCBO literature. There was no second delay.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote:
Derek wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:Meanwhile the cases sit in the warehouse slowly deteriorating.
They're just becoming more authentic! :D

(Historically, it was a long voyage from Britain to India)
That's funny, I got the joke.

But actually I was hoping to also try it a few weeks after bottling. Maybe next year we'll see it sooner -- that is, IF Southern Tier does not run away (screaming) from the freakish LCBO process.
I thought that was a good one too. And prompted me to think, where's Old Faithful these days?

Since it's supposed to become a general list item, I would hope they'll rectify this for the next shipment, which in theory would be long before next year.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

They are missing the point of what they should be doing (which is putting products and consumers first.)[/quote]

Now that's funny.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bobbyok wrote:
With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about? May 16th? You mean the post where Roland & Russel said it would be hitting the shelves within two weeks? Or the post where Illuminatus said it's available at Chaucers?

We were told it would be out by the end of May. It was then changed to the first week of June, now it has been changed to mid-June. This has been the progression, at least from my point of view, baring any sort of weird dreams or bad drug trips where in I came up with these things by myself. It's an additional delay, which in turn makes me yet more frustrated with the situation. I fail to see my fault in that, unless you wanted me to be more patient with a seemingly pathetically incompetent government monopoly? Everyone who seemed to take offense to my post, lay off, and cheers (hopefully sooner than later in regards to the ST IPA) :wink: .[/i]

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

JesseM wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:
With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about? May 16th? You mean the post where Roland & Russel said it would be hitting the shelves within two weeks? Or the post where Illuminatus said it's available at Chaucers?

We were told it would be out by the end of May. It was then changed to the first week of June, now it has been changed to mid-June. This has been the progression, at least from my point of view, baring any sort of weird dreams or bad drug trips where in I came up with these things by myself. It's an additional delay, which in turn makes me yet more frustrated with the situation. I fail to see my fault in that, unless you wanted me to be more patient with a seemingly pathetically incompetent government monopoly? Everyone who seemed to take offense to my post, lay off, and cheers (hopefully sooner than later in regards to the ST IPA) :wink: .[/i]
My point was that it wasn't the pathetically incompetent government monopoly that told you it would be out at the end of May. Even R&R (the beer's agent) said it would be out at the beginning of June, not the end of May. That's one delay, whether you can accept it or not. If somebody else started a rumour that it was coming out the end of May (as the discussion on page 8 of this thread suggests, but given you've only referred to May 16, I'm assuming you didn't bother reading the details I provided or you just didn't care) and you believed it, that's not the fault of the system, nor is it an additional delay.

The availability at Chaucer's is also irrelevant, because as also pointed out in this thread, that was a separate order, not the one that the LCBO was getting.

Complain all you want about the LCBO, but if you're not complaining about things that are actually their fault - and by that I'm talking about a second delay, because the only delay that is actually happening is certainly the fault of the LCBO - then you're only going to hurt your case.

crawler

Post by crawler »

I had an LCBO brochure for "American Craft Beers" that I picked up back in early May sometime, and it did say in there that the Southern Tier IPA was coming in June, so someone must have jumped the gun a bit when they mentioned May 16th.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

According to my sources, the beer was supposed to be on sale in mid june anyway. It arrived on May 26th according to my sources.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Fucking LCBO. Was in the one in downtown Waterloo the other night. The monkey running the show said he thinks/hopes* it will be in his store next week.

*read "has no fucking clue when it will be in his store."

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Fucking LCBO. Was in the one in downtown Waterloo the other night. The monkey running the show said he thinks/hopes* it will be in his store next week.

The large King St. one?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Fucking LCBO. Was in the one in downtown Waterloo the other night. The monkey running the show said he thinks/hopes* it will be in his store next week.

Your ignorance is baffling.

Do you realize that there are thousands of products in our stores? Do you also realize that craft beer, in most cases, is a very small category, that most people know nothing about? Staff aren't going to know when every product is going to hit the stores, especially when head office doesn't even know when it will hit the shelves.

It is moronic attitudes such as yours that make customer service so difficult.

May I ask where you work? I'll be in your region next week and I'd love to come to your place of business and make your life miserable.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The bitching & flaming has gotten a little out of line here guys. It's one thing to joke about the usual randomness of LCBO beer releases (which is just a fact of life) -- and it's another to get all personal/defensive & make everyone on BT see these profane & angry diatribes. That's just silly.

Can't you guys just make up and buy each other a beer or something? Would really appreciate the effort, LOL! I would like to consider all of you 'BarTowel friends' so I stick my neck out here and ask if we can at least TRY to get along. That's all.

Anyway - let's put all this aside - I think the ST IPA getting here sometime in June is still "no foul' on the LCBO, so a few more weeks is not controversial.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:The bitching & flaming has gotten a little out of line here guys. It's one thing to joke about the usual randomness of LCBO beer releases (which is just a fact of life) -- and it's another to get all personal/defensive & make everyone on BT see these profane & angry diatribes. That's just silly.

Can't you guys just make up and buy each other a beer or something? Would really appreciate the effort, LOL! I would like to consider all of you 'BarTowel friends' so I stick my neck out here and ask if we can at least TRY to get along. That's all.

Anyway - let's put all this aside - I think the ST IPA getting here sometime in June is still "no foul' on the LCBO, so a few more weeks is not controversial.
I am always friendly, and willing to get along. That is until silly attitudes attack me and my co-workers because not each one of us is catering to the craft beer community.