Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier IPA / Dog Fish Head - where art thou?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

bujubanton wrote:...If you want to do a better comparison..pretend you spend $500 a year at the LCBO on beer (less than a six pack a week)...
Now your bill is $600...
And there is no good reason for where that extra $100 is going...
Yes there is. You answered your own question:
bujubanton wrote:...and last time I checked..we did live in a democracy...
And in this democracy, they can set the price wherever the market lets them set it.
bujubanton wrote:...and frankly, where is the ST...I can't find it at the stores where it used to be...
This means that people are buying it.

Think about it.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Andicus wrote:All the bitching about the price is pretty irritating for me, considering I don't seem to be able to get it in St. Catharines at ANY price.

I ordered a case in about a month ago, and was just told it's not available, after having to call them to inquire. Apparently, they didn't feel the need to let me know, so that I could have picked some up in my recent travels. I can still see plenty of it at other stores, but was told that since they are not in the Niagara Region, they can't transfer it here. The woman I spoke to even called a couple of the stores that had stock, and they refused to transfer it.

GFJ, LCBO. This is a real piss off!
You live in St. Catharines and shop at the LCBO?

Why oh why would you ever subject yourself to such masochism?

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

no wonder you are called the jester...you just put "the market" and LCBO in the same post.

There is no "market" in Ontario...what are you smokin'
The price is set by the "state".....
So if you don't like the fact ST is 20% more than promised..you have no where else to go.
But I guess this is outrageous comment for this forum.
Better to be sheep and take it..

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

bujubanton wrote:no wonder you are called the jester...you just put "the market" and LCBO in the same post.

There is no "market" in Ontario...what are you smokin'
The price is set by the "state".....
So if you don't like the fact ST is 20% more than promised..you have no where else to go.
But I guess this is outrageous comment for this forum.
Better to be sheep and take it..

I don't think anyone disagrees with you in principal. However, one thing you may have overlooked is that in the fine print it says, and always says *prices subject to change without notification.
This is standard board protocol, and this is also practiced in much of the retail world.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

buju, you still don't get it and 100 posts trying to explain it will probably not sink in. The agent and the producer set the retail price, not the LCBO. The LCBO did not "promise" a price, the agent and producer did...they did not deliver. What on earth is it going to take for you to digest this? You go on and on and it is frankly irritating. Did you not wear a helmet as a child? DON'T BUY IT...DON'T DRINK IT...STOP POSTING ABOUT IT as I think everyone is equally tired of this.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I will refrain from the personal insults as fellow posters direct towards me..but let's get back to the real world..the real retail world that is..

of course prices are subject to change in the retail world..but in the non-state controlled retail world...there is a thing called competition. So if your competitor suddenly jacked up the price 20 per cent...you might keep yours a little lower...

And sorry..but the LCBO did tell its customers that the price would be $12 when it distributed the glossy booklet in its stores.
yet a few weeks later..the price was nearly 20 per cent more...
If Loblaws has meat on sale in its flyer that week...and you get to the store and it's 20 per cent more..you would probably complain. And they would have to provide an explanation to the customer..except on this forum..if you point that out about the LCBO...other posters blow a gasket and ask why I am always moaning about the state-run liquor board..and don't I realize how good they are and don't I know it's the beer producers' fault..not the benevolent LCBO...etc. etc...sheesh...

And sorry, but it just doesn't fly that the producer/agent set the retail price for the LCBO.
They may settle on a landed cost to the LCBO...but it comes up with its retail price after its markup, various taxes etc...
They may say there is no flexibility in the markups...but that is an LCBO policy decision..not something that they can't change...it is something they won't change...

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Ah Buju...you shoulda opened at the Golden Taps this year. Pure comedy.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think it's time we started some fresh threads on STIPA.