Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier IPA / Dog Fish Head - where art thou?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Well, it's not something I was particularly looking forward to, as I've had it already, but Anchor Steam is now listed on the LCBO website. I'm happy that SOMETHING new is now listed. For the past month I've been left asking them to throw me a frickin' bone of some kind, and I guess this is a sign of more to come.

But, can anyone explain to me how the hell the LCBO comes up with their seemingly inexplicable, possible fictitious ABV levels? I know they do their own stupid lab tests, but their inconsistencies with both the brewers and RB are nothing short of astounding. They've listed the Anchor Steam at 6% abv, while RB has is at 4.9% abv (and if I recall correctly, the bottles themselves say 4.9%). Why do they always contradict every other reliable source on that bit of info?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think the LCBO do their own accurate tests.

I seem to recall they re-labelled "Chapeau Exotic" at 1.5% instead of the brewers claimed 3.5%. That's a bit of a difference.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Most U.S. breweries use the antiquated hydrometer for alcohol content and even then they don't check every batch...the LCBO uses gas chromatography which is incredibly accurate. We have had numerous problems with U.S. micros who have no idea what their alcohol content might be and we have had variances as high as 7%. There appears to be no controlling body in the U.S. which looks after alcohol declarations so the breweries simply don't care whether they are accurate or not.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:
U.S. micros who have no idea what their alcohol content might be and we have had variances as high as 7%.
Might be good to know if you were planning to drive a car later that day.
In Beerum Veritas

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

I've noticed a lot of american beers don't even have the abv printed on them. I doubt if the brewery even bothered to test it.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Wasn't the John By imp stout supposed to be 9% but the LC's tests had it at 6.7%? Based on the buzz I felt, I think the LC was actually right.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jan Primus wrote:Wasn't the John By imp stout supposed to be 9% but the LC's tests had it at 6.7%? Based on the buzz I felt, I think the LC was actually right.
Tsarina (same recipe) was higher ABV than originally intended... maybe 6.7 would have been closer to what Perry was shooting for?
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

To bring this thread back on track...Southern Tier IPA has passed lab testing and has an LCBO product number. It is 81737. Not up on the website yet since the beer is still being held up at due to a "packaging issue". Apparently the LCBO doesn't like the fact that the cases contain open topped six packs which for reasons that mystify me need to be remedied before they can ship the beer to stores. Still possible this could be worked out before the end of the month but the beer could and likely will be held up as a result. I think it's a fair bet to say the first week of June for on shelf availability is optimistic. :cry:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Strange... there's other open-top six packs on the shelves...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yeah...Brooklyn Lager springs to mind since it also comes from New York state and the packaging is very similar. I can't account for it, just reporting what I'm hearing.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Isn't Mill Street an open-topped six pack?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Bobbyok wrote:Isn't Mill Street an open-topped six pack?
There are more than a dozen open topped bottled six packs on the LCBO shelves. Why this one merits extra attention I have no idea. Perhaps Rolland & Russell have a clearer explanation.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'm sure someone has noted this in the past, but an anagram for LCBO is BLOC. Seems fitting on more than one level.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Jon Walker wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:Isn't Mill Street an open-topped six pack?
There are more than a dozen open topped bottled six packs on the LCBO shelves. Why this one merits extra attention I have no idea. Perhaps Rolland & Russell have a clearer explanation.
Since it's 6.5%, they must be trying to determine if they'll require the "Strong Beer" sticker to go on the six pack or on each individual bottle in the six pack just in case people grab one and manage to get out of the store with just a single.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bobbyok wrote: just in case people grab one and manage to get out of the store with just a single.
And may GOD be merciful and not allow that to happen.