Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier IPA / Dog Fish Head - where art thou?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good call bobbyok. I wonder if DFH 60 will meet with similar perplexity & complete surprise to the LCBO - did they do all this re-labelling with the Dogfish last time? It was around 6 per cent. Maybe they could start a team of 100 scientists working on it right now so Dogfish is not delayed.
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Does the LC just wish to delay things for fun? This beer is merely 1.5% stronger than average damnit, give us some ipa already and quit trying to scare off the usa micros from entering our market.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah no kidding eh, amen to that. Hearing more and more about these ridiculous lab tests just makes me feel increasingly more jaded with a monopoly that acts like it actually has legitimate competition :roll: . (not that I'm tying those two things together, I get why they do the stupid tests, they just seem excessive and or needless sometimes, or a lot of the time)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Last time I grabbed the DFH60 as it was going on the shelf & got some open six packs. I think each bottle was labeled, and they were put on the shelf individually though.

I'm don't mind the LCBO testing, but they've got to understand that it's a food product and it should be delivered fresh. Most of it doesn't age like a wine, or last like a spirit. It's unfortunate that so much beer sits around unrefridgerated, for so long.

I hate the Beer Store, but if I'm buying an unpasteurized case, I've started to go back there.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Derek wrote:
I hate the Beer Store, but if I'm buying an unpasteurized case, I've started to go back there.
Well since you have to go there to return empties, might as well make the trip worthwhile eh?

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Derek wrote: I hate the Beer Store, but if I'm buying an unpasteurized case, I've started to go back there.
You must go to a really good beer store. My local store is actually pathetic when it comes to treatment of craft beer. What I mean is that stuff will sit on the shelves for months, they don't care, none of it gets replaced (it's a walk-in store, no ordering what you want at the front). There's some stuff at that store with expiry dates from late 2007, seriously. Isn't it somehow illegal to sell stuff well past its expiry date?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I prefer the self-serve stores where you can browse what's on the shelf.

Unfortunately my local (Victoria Park & Ellesmere) is a crappy little wall of labels that doesn't carry a lot of craft. But if I'm picking up something more generic for guests, at least its been kept cold. The LCBO across the street actually gets some of the special releases, which I buy, but some of the cases seem to remain on the shelves (at room temp) for quite some time.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

JesseM wrote:
Derek wrote: I hate the Beer Store, but if I'm buying an unpasteurized case, I've started to go back there.
You must go to a really good beer store. My local store is actually pathetic when it comes to treatment of craft beer. What I mean is that stuff will sit on the shelves for months, they don't care, none of it gets replaced (it's a walk-in store, no ordering what you want at the front). There's some stuff at that store with expiry dates from late 2007, seriously. Isn't it somehow illegal to sell stuff well past its expiry date?
Are you talking about the Bleams location? It's worth running up to Highland Hills, they have a much better and fresher selection.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Is that one a walk-in style store too? I've never been, and have never been willing to take the chance only to find out it's the lame order-at-the-front style which I absolutely loathe.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Illuminatus wrote:
JesseM wrote:
Are you talking about the Bleams location? It's worth running up to Highland Hills, they have a much better and fresher selection.
I like the walk-in stores but the one on Bleams isn't the greatest. I like the Victoria Street store better. They usually have a lot of the imports and a good selection of the local beers. (for what the beer store stocks anyway).

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

JesseM wrote:Is that one a walk-in style store too? I've never been, and have never been willing to take the chance only to find out it's the lame order-at-the-front style which I absolutely loathe.
It's one of those "ice cold express" where you can pick up all of the "good stuff" like Blue and all that swill. But anything else you have to order at the front.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

JesseM wrote:You must go to a really good beer store. My local store is actually pathetic when it comes to treatment of craft beer. What I mean is that stuff will sit on the shelves for months, they don't care, none of it gets replaced (it's a walk-in store, no ordering what you want at the front). There's some stuff at that store with expiry dates from late 2007, seriously. Isn't it somehow illegal to sell stuff well past its expiry date?
JesseM wrote:Is that one a walk-in style store too? I've never been, and have never been willing to take the chance only to find out it's the lame order-at-the-front style which I absolutely loathe.
So... you don't like the walk-in stores 'cause you think it leads to stale product, and you don't like the order-at-the-front stores either. Any other kind of beer stores you don't like?

-Josh
Last edited by detritus on Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

kmallett wrote:
It's one of those "ice cold express" where you can pick up all of the "good stuff" like Blue and all that swill. But anything else you have to order at the front.
Yeah. But, on the upside, the guy always pronounces "St. Ambroise" with a faux-French accent when he talks into the mike. :P

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

So I guess they need all this lab testing and LCBO rules because dozens of people in new york state die every day from drinking Southern Tier?
:roll:

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

detritus wrote:
JesseM wrote:You must go to a really good beer store. My local store is actually pathetic when it comes to treatment of craft beer. What I mean is that stuff will sit on the shelves for months, they don't care, none of it gets replaced (it's a walk-in store, no ordering what you want at the front). There's some stuff at that store with expiry dates from late 2007, seriously. Isn't it somehow illegal to sell stuff well past its expiry date?
So... you don't like the walk-in stores 'cause you think it leads to stale product, and you don't like the order-at-the-front stores either. Any other kind of beer stores you don't like?

-Josh
Actually, I mentioned the part about it being a walk-in style store to illustrate the fact that you can see the expiry dates for youself as you cruise through the aisles, otherwise I wouldn't have any idea of how bad the store is for that sort of thing. I believe I've mentioned before at some point throughout my time here on this site that I prefer the walk-in stores. My complaint was is regards to the blatant ignoring of the expired craft brews, which can happen at any style of store. I don't like ordering at the front because, 1) It can be awkward, 2) It feels like the remnants of some stupid archaic system, 3) If they don't have what I want, I have to quickly think of something else, which they usually don't have, and then I've just wasted everyone's time. Those are some of the reasons.

As the saying goes, don't ever ass-u-me things, as it makes an ass out of you, and me (as I had to be an ass in response to your unjust post) :lol:. If you were just kidding around, that's cool, sorry for spazzing. But next time try to come off as more funny, and less of a condescending dick :wink: .

(BTW I'm not trying to argue or attack you, I'm just defending myself and my posts)
Last edited by JesseM on Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.