Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

JeffPorter wrote:
Belgian wrote:Not as good as the one they didn't ring in last time. That free Nøgne RIS tasted as good as tax-free can taste! (And no, I did nothing socially irresponsible after consuming it.)
I have a confession that I've been needing to make since last winter. Because it's been ringing me with guilt... Kind of....

I really loved the monster ale. When it was coming to the end of the season, I found a GTA store that just got a bunch in. I went there with the intention of buying 12 bottles to hold on to for a while.

Well, when there on the shelves they were still in their four packs, so I thought, this is convenient, and just grabbed three fours 'cause they were easier to carry.

So at cash, she picked up a bottle and scanned it three times, not twelve.

I paid with debit, so didn't realize until I got my receipt.

Essentially, I paid about $9 for 12 monster ales...I thought for a moment about going back but greed and "free" beer and general fear took over, so I just got into my car and gunned it looking over my shoulder the whole time.

Sorry LC - not going to rationalize with "you suck, anyway", but perhaps you should have a cashier who can realize that 4 beers don't cost 3 dollars.

There...please don't phone the police on me... :oops:
Screengrabbed and already sent to the LCBO Minilove. :lol:

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Shipyard Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Blueberry
JeffPorter wrote:
Belgian wrote:Not as good as the one they didn't ring in last time. That free Nøgne RIS tasted as good as tax-free can taste! (And no, I did nothing socially irresponsible after consuming it.)
I have a confession that I've been needing to make since last winter. Because it's been ringing me with guilt... Kind of....

I really loved the monster ale. When it was coming to the end of the season, I found a GTA store that just got a bunch in. I went there with the intention of buying 12 bottles to hold on to for a while.

Well, when there on the shelves they were still in their four packs, so I thought, this is convenient, and just grabbed three fours 'cause they were easier to carry.

So at cash, she picked up a bottle and scanned it three times, not twelve.

I paid with debit, so didn't realize until I got my receipt.

Essentially, I paid about $9 for 12 monster ales...I thought for a moment about going back but greed and "free" beer and general fear took over, so I just got into my car and gunned it looking over my shoulder the whole time.

Sorry LC - not going to rationalize with "you suck, anyway", but perhaps you should have a cashier who can realize that 4 beers don't cost 3 dollars.

There...please don't phone the police on me... :oops:
LMAO! This is the best thing I've read on this site in a long time, and I'm now using it as my signature. Thank you for the hilarious story Jeff. :lol:
Last edited by cratez on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yeah - story to tell the grandkids...:)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Jester King La Petite Prince. WOW, such flavour & balance for a 2.9% beer. Just shows there is no need to brew beers of similar style to high alcohol levels.

Phillips Electric Unicorn - not the best white IPA, but a very enjoyable, citric beverage.

Anchorage Galaxy White IPA - absolutely sublime. Big nose of blue cheese on opening, and then the brett & citrus qualities take over. Can't fault anything with this beer.

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild Ale - reminds me of the sweet I used to love as a kid, barley/cough candy twist. This isn't a bad thing!!!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Torontoblue wrote: Anchorage Galaxy White IPA - absolutely sublime. Big nose of blue cheese on opening, and then the brett & citrus qualities take over. Can't fault anything with this beer.
Agreed, had it a couple weeks back and Galaxy is a work of art.

Smuttynose Big Beer Farmhouse. Way too big, I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't billed as a Saison, was expecting something much different. Not badly made though.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Last night at Volo, two of the beers left over from the Funk event, which unfortunately I could not attend. Both were winners! One was House Ales rye porter aged with brett and the other Bellwoods barrel-aged triple with yellow plums. Both top of the art for artisan beer. The Bellwoods had a taste of the cask but it didn't overdo it and get into (for me) those frankly oxidised tastes that prolonged barrel age can cause. I felt it was reminiscent somewhat of Orval but rather superior.

The porter showed the brett - a wild yeast characteristic of long-aged beers - but in an appealing way, it didn't have that strong barnyard taste a lot of brett beers have but you could certainly taste the effect.

Today mid-afternoon, a cold Spaten from the stock recently arrived at LCBO. This shipment is very fresh, and apparently (per codes on base on can) packaged about 6 weeks ago. Earlier shipments seemed some months older if read the codes right and didn't taste nearly as good IMO.

Clean malt, on the dry side, with emphatic German hops but this time they don't have an onion-like or barnyard taste. Some Germanic beers taste that way to me, Czech or Austrian too, and I don't know why. It may be perhaps the type of hop used, or perhaps climatic factors affect it. This one though tastes clean and sharp on the hop side, really good (mineral-like). Perhaps the effect of the new hops' season? Anyway, top stuff.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Today at Bellwoods for the bottle sale:

Lost River Baltic Porter
Last Splash Strong Ale - a double IPA as far as I'm concerned, quite good
Roman Candle IPA - why wasn't this on sale! damn good

Streets joined us in the car and we unexpectedly ran into Boney in the line - so a nice little Hamilton meetup away from home. My first taste of Bellwoods and I am impressed. Even the sip of the smoked berliner weisse was a lot better than expected. Service could have been better but the beer was great. Looking forward to opening my bottles.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Cale wrote:Looking forward to opening my bottles.
Way ahead of you! At Bellwoods I had the Roman candle IPA and the Muggleweisse brown sour, and boy was it ever!

Tucking into a day old Witchshark Imperial IPA now, damned fine and hoppy!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Barrel Aged Tempest on cask at Amsterdam. Got there five minutes too late to score a bottle of it or the Belgian they were selling. Sold out in 15 minutes. Met Boney, cmadd, and icemachine there. Although, they had to beg us to help finish the cask and there were a lot of half empty glasses left over. That was some good stuff!
Last edited by phirleh on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:Jester King La Petite Prince. WOW, such flavour & balance for a 2.9% beer.
GR Mill Race Mild, super tasty for a 3.5% & just as good bottled (from the brewery.)
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Stone smoked porter with Vanilla Bean

Streets

Post by Streets »

Hellwoods RIS.

This shit is dark, if Bellwood's aren't careful it could cause an eclipse.

And Cale, it looks like you're right about the last splash. Here's a quote I found on Bellwoods website:

"Summer 2012: Luc Bim Lafontaine (Head Brewer, Dieu Du Ciel!, Montreal) mashing in “Last Splash”, a Wakatu DIPA, which should be ready late August 2012. "

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bellwoods -
Hellwoods RIS
Last Splash BSA
Roman Candle IPA
Muggleweisse Soured Brown
Mash Pipe Smoked Berliner Weisse
Witchshark IIPA

Damn!
In Beerum Veritas