Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
andrewrg wrote:
Awesome. What stole the show?
The Rare was a unanimous winner (I think).

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:Saw D.O.A. on the Hamilton leg of their "Farewell" tour at the Casbah. Had a Spearhead Moroccan Brown, Junction Craft Conductors Craft Ale and a Church Key Holy Smoke Scotch Ale. All very nice, including all the bands.
Last time I saw DOA, the best options were Calgary and Boh.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

markaberrant wrote: Last time I saw DOA, the best options were Calgary and Boh.
Joey is going back into politics, so they say this is their last run (yeah sure!). It's nice to have some good beer on tap for a great show (even though it can get pricey), although the ticket was still $20 for 4 bands.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:
markaberrant wrote: Last time I saw DOA, the best options were Calgary and Boh.
Joey is going back into politics, so they say this is their last run (yeah sure!). It's nice to have some good beer on tap for a great show (even though it can get pricey), although the ticket was still $20 for 4 bands.
I've been seeing Mr Shithead perform since the mid-90s, always been solid meat n potatoes slam bang punk rock action. Yeah, ticket prices have definitely gone up. I have a lot of the original vinyl too, even the early 7"s and the Triumph of the Ignoroids live 12" EP with the "banned cover" of Margaret Trudeau. Pretty cool guy, love all the old stories about him and the band. Big Subhumans fan too, but the live shows I saw in the late 90s were garbage.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Last night was Highballer Pumpkin, Cale's IPA, & Red Racer. And tomorrow is Brewfest at the Judge, so hopefully there'll be some interesting offerings!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

last night @ Imbibe in Kitchener:

Silversmith Black Lager
F&M Pilsner

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Currently in NYC, no point listing a string of beers, most tasted by the flight, but I'll mention Coney Island's White Lager, a spiced beer with wheat I believe but using a bottom yeast (excellent), Bronx Pale Ale, almost half-way between an English and U.S. pale ale (ditto), and Heartland's barrel-aged Imperial Pumpkin. The latter was a little acidulous and lightly oaky, not that great IMO but I suppose the barrel aging was the clue to an "aged" palate. Plus I could see it would go well with food.

Magic Hat's seasonal Hex is top-rate too with a restrained but complex, pleasing palate.

The best beer by far was Brooklyn Brewing's EIPA on cask at Gingerman. In bottle it doesn't shine much (for me) but the real ale version is a different story. It was somewhat Bass Draught-like I thought, I wonder if Garrett Oliver admires that beer. Anyway a winner.

Well, maybe that's a string. :)

I bought a bottle of Beck's Dark because all Beck's is brewed in the U.S. now, i.e., for domestic U.S. sale (our's is still an import), and I wanted to see what it was like. I thought it was way better than the former Beck's Dark import. The latter never tasted right to me, either it seemed skunked or chlorine-like, surely from overage or long shipment.

The U.S.-brewed beer is obviously made to the German spec but is clean and rich with an interesting, molasses-like note. I can only assume this is due to less handling and shipment. A top-quality drop and really as good in its way as anything in the posh beer bars. The regular pale lager similarly is excellent although it can be okay in Canada, probably due to a high volume of sales. But still I think the U.S. domestic-made version is better.

Gary
Gary Gillman

heebes

Post by heebes »

Bellwoods Last Splash IIPA

Yum

Streets

Post by Streets »

Brew fest at the judge:

Black Oak lavender beer, Beau's Weisse O'Lantern, Grand river porter, lots of Cabin fever number three, Summer Saison, peach infused smash bomb?

Good afternoon!

And now Abe Lincoln is fighting vampires in 3-D, good night...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Grand river porter
New beer or other name? How is it?
In Beerum Veritas

Streets

Post by Streets »

Belgian wrote:
Grand river porter
New beer or other name? How is it?
5.6% lots of dark malts, no coffee beans. I think Rob said it's something that they've been working on. A bunch of Bartowelers sampled it, but I guess everyone else is still sleeping it off!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Fullers London Porter

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

DFH Positive Contact. A nice enough imperial wit, but, aside from the cider, I'm not sure what all the other stuff adds to it.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Bellwoods Last Splash Strong Ale - The brewers said this one wasn't exactly what they were expecting, but I quite like it. It is pretty fruity and a little on the yeasty side, but for 9.3% it's incredibly drinkable like a light bodied barely wine.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Streets wrote:I guess everyone else is still sleeping it off!
Yes, I slept well! Here was my tally:

-Big Rock Warthog
-Cameron's Wheat
-Spearhead Moroccan Brown
-Grand River Porter Cask
-Black Oak Chinook Lavender Cask
-Black Oak Summer Saison
-Stone Hammer Blackened Imperial Pilsner
-Muskoka Mad Tom Imperial IPA - Cabin Fever or Madderer Tom
-Flying Monkeys Peach Infused Smash Bomb - half the peach extract and it would have tasted better. Reminded me of being 16 again with Dr. McGillicudy's
-Mort Subite
-Beau's Weiss O'Lantern
-And I won a giant 1Litre ceramic Steigl stein

Highlight was the Stone Hammer Pilsner and the Mad Tom and of course the Grand River Porter.

Oh, and I also had a Wellington Boot Chuck IPA. Good times!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/