Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night with Milos, Adil, Simon, and Mike at Bryden's, Indie Alehouse, and The Mugshot Tavern:

Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA (draught)
Le Trou Du Diable La Sang-d'encre (draught)
Indie Alehouse Instigator IPA (draught)
Indie Alehouse Breakfast Porter (draught)
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (draught)

Nice to finally meet Lackey and Simon, and thanks to Milos for the hospitality! I paid for it today. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Last pint out of a growler of Arrogant Bastard. Wish our gas store conveniences were so convenient!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga at National Beer Hall in Calgary. Quite Orval-esque.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga at National Beer Hall in Calgary. Quite Orval-esque.
What's the National like? I'm down in Calgary this December, and looking for places to visit.

Tonight:

2009 Half Pints Burly Wine - real nice barley-sugar candy flavour, with just a hint of hops coming through. Very sweet, very sticky.

Firestone Walker Wookey Jack - a 6 week old bottle. Huge nose of grassy, resiny hops. A delight to drink!

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Alpine/New Belgium Super IPA
Bellwoods Monogamy (Calypso)
Founder's Harvest Ale
FFF Zombie Dust

Scapa (scotch)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Brooklyn Oktoberfest - exactly how Belgian described it: toasty, rich, and bread crusty as hell, with the hops merely there to even things out. Pretty solid for a malty N. American O'Fest.
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA - big hop flavours, oily-dry palate, and a very intense lingering bitterness, but lacking the complex aromas that I recall from the '09 bombers. Kinda surprising since these bottles are less than 6 weeks old.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:
boney wrote:Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga at National Beer Hall in Calgary. Quite Orval-esque.
What's the National like? I'm down in Calgary this December, and looking for places to visit.
Not a bad place. they have about 70 taps, plus about 30 more bottles. Nothing too mind blowing but usually a couple new offerings I haven't tried every time I'm theres. The atmosphere has a cool open beer hall feel to it, but it's always packed and it's on 17th Ave, so the atmosphere suffers a little from the "I have way too much disposable income and I need to spend it on something trendy" big oil crowd.

Even with a smaller tap list (20+) Beer Revolution seems to get more interesting seasonals, one-offs etc. The cleintele is a little more university, hipster, beer-geeky there as well.
Torontoblue wrote: Keep a look out for the new release from Phillips of their Black Belgian IPA. Should be in stores very soon.

You taking any of your cellar back with you?
Thanks for the heads up on the Phillips stuff. I'll have to check in on the weekend to see if it's come in. I will be shipping some of my celler this time out, as long as the weather cooperates this weekend. Hopefully I'll ship out some of my moderately replaceable higher alc beers this time around. I'll probably wait to send out all my lower alc, lambic, sour etc. stuff till next spring and cart back my rare stuff by plane around the same time.

Currently drinking a Boundary Bay Cabin Fever. Whoa. This is diabetes in a bottle. Sweet treacle and dark fruit like you wouldn't beleive. Fitting for the foot of snow in Calgary right now.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:Not a bad place. they have about 70 taps, plus about 30 more bottles. Nothing too mind blowing but usually a couple new offerings I haven't tried every time I'm theres. The atmosphere has a cool open beer hall feel to it, but it's always packed and it's on 17th Ave, so the atmosphere suffers a little from the "I have way too much disposable income and I need to spend it on something trendy" big oil crowd.

Even with a smaller tap list (20+) Beer Revolution seems to get more interesting seasonals, one-offs etc. The cleintele is a little more university, hipster, beer-geeky there as well.
Appreciate the feedback on the National, as I haven't been there yet. Unless the taplist is unreal (no updated online list... lame), doubt I will set foot in there. I got my share of 17th Ave when I lived right on it. Beer Revolution is already pushing my tolerance in terms of atmosphere, but has become a worthwhile stop. I'm always most at home at Hop in Brew.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

markaberrant wrote:
boney wrote:Not a bad place. they have about 70 taps, plus about 30 more bottles. Nothing too mind blowing but usually a couple new offerings I haven't tried every time I'm theres. The atmosphere has a cool open beer hall feel to it, but it's always packed and it's on 17th Ave, so the atmosphere suffers a little from the "I have way too much disposable income and I need to spend it on something trendy" big oil crowd.

Appreciate the feedback on the National, as I haven't been there yet. Unless the taplist is unreal (no updated online list... lame), doubt I will set foot in there. Beer Revolution is already pushing my tolerance in terms of atmosphere, but has become a worthwhile stop. I'm always most at home at Hop in Brew.
+1 on the Hop in Brew. The atmosphere at Beer Revolution is pretty sterile, but they have the best tap list, hands down, and they work hard to cater to those in the know or want to know more about craft beer. However, if I want to sit, chat with some old friends or just lounge around and shoot the shit all night, the Hop In Brew is the place I want to be.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:The atmosphere at Beer Revolution is pretty sterile, but they have the best tap list, hands down, and they work hard to cater to those in the know or want to know more about craft beer.
I like the place, don't get me wrong, but:

1st visit - there were a couple different guys sitting by themselves going through the whole beer rating thing. There was another table with two young bucks sitting together, doing the same beer rating thing on their iPads and not talking to each other. I find this absurd in a public setting.

2nd visit - there was a huge table of jocks that were engaged in some sort of drinking game whilst watching football on the many TV screens. Lost my own voice just trying to talk over them at our small table.

So yeah, it appears to draw in the young beer nerds, as well as the louts. Neither are really my style.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Kind of mild tonight, but felt like a GLB Robust Porter.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

RR Supplication. Brilliant.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Muskoka Harvest and Keefe's Irish Stout @ Cork's
Al's Cask at C'est What post show

Cork's has a great Thursday deal of any Pint + 6 Oysters for $10
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Yesterday:

Red Racers while brewing a Motueka IPA

Southern Tier Mokah afterwards - Terrible. Super boozy, overly sweet, tastes too much like Choklat, not enough coffee. Seems kind of silly to get this and Choklat in back-to-back seasonal releases. If this is what we get instead of Peche I will cry.

Currently: Birds & Beans Nicaragua Wood Thrush
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Last night was Highballsr and Black Creek stout.

Thanks for the warning on the mocha, I won't bother seeking it out.

Tonight is probably going to be an old howe sound pothole filler while watching the amazing Spiderman in 3-D! I noticed the pothole filler is in the winter release so figured I better get rid of the old stock. ;)