Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jprime

Post by jprime »

matt7215 wrote:last night with jeff and joel:

Great Lakes Brewing Karma Citra (single hop)
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale
Great Lakes X Phillips Puzzler Belgian Black IPA
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Jack & Kens Ale
Great Lakes Brewing 25th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA
Great Lakes Brewing Unicorn Ale
Allagash Fluxus 2010
Lost Abbey The Angels Share (Bourbon Barrel)
Bells Expedition Stout

great night boys!
Great night indeed

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Started in on a growler of black creek ipa. Looking forward to trying some of the winter release i picked up tongiht.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Tonight

Black Creek Dray Horse - another nice brown ale from them.

St. Amboise 2012 Vintage - a malt bomb, yes, but delicious fresh!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

so far tonight....

bah hummbug wychwood...thought this was fantastic. very fresh.
highlander spruce ale
homebrew calypso pale ale
rest of black creek ipa growler

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Little bit of an EBGA get together to drain some beers:

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
Titanic Brewing Stout
HUB Abominable Winter Ale
Deschutes Jubelale
DFH 90 Minute
HUB Survival 7 Grain Stout
Sierra Nevada Ovila Belgian Golden Ale
Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad
Fonseca 1997 Late Bottled Vintage Port
Slaters Queen Bee Honey Ale
Brooklyn Monster
New Belgium Cocoa Mole
New Belgium Grand Cru Abbey Ale
Southern Tier Mokah
Moab Brewery Black Imperial IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Jolly Pumpkin Sobrehumano Palena ‘ole
Anchorage Galaxy
Commons Brewery Flemish Kiss
Deschutes Jubelale
De Molen Hemel & Aarde
Deschutes The Stoic
Commons Brewery Flemish Kiss & Anchorage Galaxy mix.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Yesterday at the Baby Shower:

Trader Joe's 2011
Great Lakes Dirtbag McQuaig
Deschutes Abyss 2011
Kuhnhenn Barrel Aged 4D
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Drank some beer last night:

Cantillon Gueze
Cantillon St. Lamvinus
Drie Fontenein Scharb Kriek
St. Ambroise RIS
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Anchorage Galaxy White IPA
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Bellwoods Monogamy Bravo

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Had a Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison last night (thanks Cale!). Everyone seems to have gotten on the saison bandwagon the last year or so. In my expereince, most Ontario saisons are just gussied up wit beers without any truely funky farmhouse yeast. Bellwoods is the exception. Loads of funky, musty character mixed in with grass/hay, ample spice and appropriately dry. Spot on for style.

heebes

Post by heebes »

I had their Farmhouse Saison last night too, totally agree: nice funk, grassy and even a fresh hoppyness to it though subtle.

Also hit up Great Lakes for restocking of Karma Citra & Dr Phils Milk Moustache bottles!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote:Had a Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison last night (thanks Cale!). Everyone seems to have gotten on the saison bandwagon the last year or so. In my expereince, most Ontario saisons are just gussied up wit beers without any truely funky farmhouse yeast. Bellwoods is the exception. Loads of funky, musty character mixed in with grass/hay, ample spice and appropriately dry. Spot on for style.
you should try the Oast House Saison, it very true to style, grabbed some bottles today at the brewery, cant wait to dig into them

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

boney wrote:Had a Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison last night (thanks Cale!). Everyone seems to have gotten on the saison bandwagon the last year or so. In my expereince, most Ontario saisons are just gussied up wit beers without any truely funky farmhouse yeast. Bellwoods is the exception. Loads of funky, musty character mixed in with grass/hay, ample spice and appropriately dry. Spot on for style.
To be fair, two of the most common saisons (Dupont and Hennepin) are both pretty mild in the funky farmhouse category. GLB's was closer to Hennepin and Amsterdam's was closet to Dupont, but I think Amsterdam cheated by adding wheat. Black Oak's, I'll agree, is very much a gussied up wit.

Bellwood's Farmhouse (though not their fall) is most definitely the most funky of all the ones that I'd had recently (including Dupont and Hennepin). It is quite amazing.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Side by side tasting while I watch the Grey Cup:

2010 LTM Baltic Porter
2010 LTM Baltic Porter (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

groulxsome wrote:
To be fair, two of the most common saisons (Dupont and Hennepin) are both pretty mild in the funky farmhouse category. GLB's was closer to Hennepin and Amsterdam's was closet to Dupont, but I think Amsterdam cheated by adding wheat. Black Oak's, I'll agree, is very much a gussied up wit.

Bellwood's Farmhouse (though not their fall) is most definitely the most funky of all the ones that I'd had recently (including Dupont and Hennepin). It is quite amazing.
Very true on all accounts. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly drink almost anything called a saison, I just prefer the more funk forward interpretations. I've often come close to posting that I don't quite understand the mad love for Dupont, but held back because that might be considered sacrilege. Still would never turn down a chance to drink another one, though.

Haven't tried Oast House yet, but really excited to get out to Niagara and pick up a few bottles.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Newcastle Brown Ale - probably the first brown ale I ever had. Have not had one for a very, very, long time.

Mill Street Paradise IPA - first time.

Creemore Altbier - this has grown on me

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De kaizer Blauw