Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Every Advent Sunday, I try to make a really good meal, so today I did a crazy lasagne (crazy in the sheer amount of cheese and bechamel).

And we had a bottle of Panil. It was perfect for it. It did such a good job at cutting the fat. That beer really is like a wine - also, the sour seems to be a little more subdued and the oakiness is more pronounced.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Epic Brainless on Cherries - very meh, would not buy again.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

RPA and Peche Mortel with some beef bourguignon.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at The Ceili Cottage:
Church-Key Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout (draught)
Durham Hop Addict (draught)

Then at home:
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:Yesterday at The Ceili Cottage:
Church-Key Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout (draught)
Durham Hop Addict (draught)

Then at home:
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Thoughts on the Holy Cow?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: Thoughts on the Holy Cow?
Decent but unremarkable. Balanced chocolate taste and enough roastiness to prevent it from being cloyingly sweet, but not as full-flavoured as I expected. Wasn't digging the diacetyl either. On the plus side, my lamb shank was delicious and the Hop Addict was in top form. :)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Thoughts on the Holy Cow?
Decent but unremarkable. Balanced chocolate taste and enough roastiness to prevent it from being cloyingly sweet, but not as full-flavoured as I expected. Wasn't digging the diacetyl either. On the plus side, my lamb shank was delicious and the Hop Addict was in top form. :)
Was it the lamb or mutton shank? Those things are huge and delicious!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Celebrator Dopplebock. It tastes like peanut butter and jelly.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I am in the process of making vanilla extract. I took a small sample from my bottle and after tasting and smelling it, I poured about five drops into a bottle of Cool. Quite tasty!

I had a can of Granville's Lions Winter Beer a few days ago and really enjoyed it. My homemade version isn't nearly as good but still fun for a change. I had a Box Steam Funnel Blower not long ago and it was great too. I wouldn't have thought vanilla would be a good flavour in beer but after trying a few I am a convert!

If anyone else wants to have a little fun in the kitchen, try making some extract. It takes about a year but is so much better than any commercial vanilla I have ever tried and was way cheaper too.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I'll tell you what I'm not drinking right now.....Nogne Sunturn Brew, Barrel Aged Porterhouse Celebration Stout and 8 Wired Sasion Sauvin. Why? Because Canada Post completely caved in half my fucking box. Not a freezing issue due to the breakage pattern, pattern of in-box destruction, the alc% and God damn scuff marks at point of impact. Careless butter fingered mother fuckers.

Luckily, the other beers in the box survived.

I don't ship with FedEx or Priority Courier due to non-beer related ass-hatery from those companies. Now it looks like Canada Post is off my list as well. I guess UPS is my only option left.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

That's a shame as the Barrel Aged Porterhouse Celebration Stout is wonderful :P

Only other option is Purolator, maybe?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Oops....I meant Purolator rather than "Priority" Courier. Had good experiences with UPS and FedEx are off my bad books as they bent over backwards to rectify a screw up of there own making, just hours ago today (I've had a bad day of shipping/recieving).

Yeah, most dissapointed about the Celebration Stout. Had a guy hold one in the back of the store for me, as I missed it when it first hit Calgary. Crying shame.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Saison du Buff and a Raging Bitch to celebrate the 16 degree weather in December.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Couple pints of Fuller's ESB on draught at The Crow's Nest pub in Newmarket. First time there, but I'll be back!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

few brews at home....
ommegang three philosophers
ddc peche mortel
trafalgar cognac aged porter