Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Muskoka Chocolate Cran Stout
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA - both at The Only

Muskoka Dark - at a friend's house for dinner

Muskoka Mad Tom
Church Key Put That In Your Pipe And Smoke It - At Morgan's

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

phat matt wrote:beau's sleepy time stout - great beer. belgian yeast and stout were well balanced. great beer.
there were parts of this beer i really liked but the bitterness really clashed with the belgian yeast for me. of the 4 in the pack i had the highest hopes for this one, in the end it was pretty dissapointing.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

5 year old Fin du Monde, in the correct glass, to celebrate the non end of the world.

Just wonderful...

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

@Volo

GLB Audrey Hopburn
House Ales BA Swag Out (exemplifies everything wrong with whiskey aged stouts IMO - they accidentally poured me the Lil Swag at first, and I regretted not sticking with it)
sips of GLB Karma Citra, Hopfenstark Boson de Higgs

@Wvrst

Nickelbrook Headstock (cask)
w/ Merguez and Wild Boar sausages

@Bellwoods

Hoppy American Brown (not sure if they have a name for it as it wasn't on the menu)
Common Session Ale
Blitzen
Hellwoods
sips of Petal Head

Note to hop heads: don't get your hopes up about the American Brown. After tasting it and the Common, I will no longer be attending the bottle sale tomorrow. Both good beers but not what I was hoping for. Blitzen is the biggest saison I've ever had, glad I got the sample size - still enjoyable. Great service tonight.

First time at Wvrst. Great place. Interesting setup.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Coronado Idiot IIPA
Coronado Blue Bridge Coffee Stout
Lost Coast 8 Ball Stout
5 Year aged Torres Moscatel Oro
Traquair House Ale aged in Oak Barrels

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Cheval Blanc......very tasty, even with snow falling and cold outside!

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I really liked the Common Session Ale--thought it was a great session ale while still having a nice hit of citrus and bitterness.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

andrewrg wrote:I really liked the Common Session Ale--thought it was a great session ale while still having a nice hit of citrus and bitterness.
I though the hop profile was good but what turned me off was the malt. Just not a fan of strong bready/toasty notes with my hops.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Unibroue La Fin du Fonde

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at C'est What?:
Nickelbrook Headstock (cask)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (draught)

Then at beerbistro:
Orval Trappist Ale (bottle)
Struise Tsjeeses (bottle)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I hadn't had bottled Urquell in years since the canned one always seemed better to me, which I attributed to some light getting into the bottled one.

I decided to try again, with stock packaged per the 9 month date code November 9. Therefore this is comparable to the tins which can hit the shelves about 8 weeks from shipping (although sometimes longer for both formats). Also, I read in brewing author's Jim Robertson's The Great American Beer Book that by his calculations, a bottle of beer conducts heat at a rate 1000 times less than a can. Jim's book was written in 1978 and I am not sure if aluminum had replaced steel by then for beer cans or if it did, whether steel's conductivity would differ from aluminum's. But anyway it seemed to make sense that a thin can protects less against heat transfer than glass.

Result: I find virtually no difference from the can. There is no skunk whatever and the beer is malty, bitter and fresh-tasting as usual. It's a super-glass of lager and way ahead of all the German imports IMO, at least (in other words) as they taste here. The Saaz in particular seems to exhibit a fresh floral quality that I don't get in the German beers.

Gary
Gary Gillman

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Cale wrote: Hoppy American Brown (not sure if they have a name for it as it wasn't on the menu)
I agree that this is no hop monster, but am not sure if it was meant to be. Tried it today and quite liked it. I was told it was similar to a Black IPA, and I totally disagree with that description, but like the beer. Definitely heavier on the malt side of things, but a really nice flavoured brown ale.
Ren

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

So far with JB84:
Beau's Screaming Beaver
Bell's Oracle
Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone The Perfect Crime Black Smoked Saison
Full Sail Brewers Share Berliner Weiss
Two Brothers Heavy Handed (Lot# 2672 - Cluster Hops)

Off to Imbibe now...

Bearing

Post by Bearing »

At Imbibe... GL Harry Porter & Crazy Canuck + Silversmith black lager + Churchkey Grains of Wrath... great line-up!

Also delighted to sample a Brooklyn Black Ops & Jolly Pumpkin Holiday Ale thanks to John & Kish : thank-you, gentlemen! Here's to beer in Kitchener taking off in the New Year...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Random trip through Michigan:

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine
Kuhnhenn Solar Eclipse (BBA Imperial Stout)
Kuhnhenn DRIPA
Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Aged Mead
Dark Horse KBE Volumme II
Bell's Expedition (ON TAP!!!)
Bell's Rye Stout

And brought back way too many bottles to list...