Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Streets

Post by Streets »

Had a great night last night! Thanks to Cale, Mel, Boney, Electroluminecsent, and big B for coming out! I hope a good time was had by all :)

If we manage to do it again this month it'll be a miracle ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Enjoying a GL Vanilla Bean Coffee Stout. Happy Sunday!

Last night had GL Audrey Hopburn @ Thirsty & Transmissible.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

jprime wrote:For breakfast at Kuhnhenns:

Creme brulee java stout
BA Barley Wine

For lunch at Whole Foods:

Short HumanLupmalicious

For supper at the union:

Shorts Bourbon Wizard
New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout
Kuhuhenns DRIPA
Great Lakes Blackout Stout

Plus a great hull: Ian, you will be happy!!!!!
I already am! :)

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

JeffPorter wrote:
iguenard wrote:Skullsplitter (boy does my memory fail me sometimes!)

Never had this until a few nights ago - couldn't get past the third sip. Roughest beer I've had in a long time. I'm guessing it wasn't always like this?
I loved this when I got started in craft beer. Back when Storm king and this were readily available at the LCBO. I remember it being like a strong belgian scotch ale, hazy and creamy like it should be. This was a yellow, flat sugar syrup. I finished it, but only because I had just shoveled my driveway, and needed the 90% water, and 10% painkiller for my back :)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

storm king was at the lcbo? How long ago was this? was it in 6 packs? How much was it?

iguenard wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
iguenard wrote:Skullsplitter (boy does my memory fail me sometimes!)

Never had this until a few nights ago - couldn't get past the third sip. Roughest beer I've had in a long time. I'm guessing it wasn't always like this?
I loved this when I got started in craft beer. Back when Storm king and this were readily available at the LCBO. I remember it being like a strong belgian scotch ale, hazy and creamy like it should be. This was a yellow, flat sugar syrup. I finished it, but only because I had just shoveled my driveway, and needed the 90% water, and 10% painkiller for my back :)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Bar Hop:
Beau's Burnt Rock Vanilla Porter (draught)
Bellwoods Monogamy Pale Ale - Nelson Sauvin (cask)
Flying Monkeys Spanish Is Out Of The Galaxy Cedar Aged IPA (draught)
Cameron's RPA (draught)

Did I mention that Bar Hop rules?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cratez wrote: Flying Monkeys Spanish Is Out Of The Galaxy Cedar Aged IPA (draught)
That sounds interesting. How was it?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: That sounds interesting. How was it?
Good. The cedar is subtle and nicely compliments the prickly-citric hop bitterness, and the 8.8% ABV (according to the server) is undetectable. I actually prefer it to the Cedar Aged Jai Alai.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Renaissance Elemental porter @ home. Classic.

Grand River Jubilation @ Only Cafe (the best! Never had it on tap before, a little spicy this year like our best winter ales.)
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Streets wrote:Had a great night last night! Thanks to Cale, Mel, Boney, Electroluminecsent, and big B for coming out! I hope a good time was had by all :)

If we manage to do it again this month it'll be a miracle ;)
Awesome tasting. Thanks for hosting, Streets!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Bellwoods Brewery:
Bellwoods Roman Candle IPA (draught)
Bellwoods American Brown Ale (draught)

Then at Get Well:
Get Well All Shook Down Rye PA (draught)
Get Well Pinball Wizard APA (draught)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

cratez wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: That sounds interesting. How was it?
Good. The cedar is subtle and nicely compliments the prickly-citric hop bitterness, and the 8.8% ABV (according to the server) is undetectable. I actually prefer it to the Cedar Aged Jai Alai.
I had a 5oz glass of it on Sunday. Wow! You really need to like that sort of thing to drink a whole pint. It felt like I was drinking Buckley's. :lol:
lister

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

lister wrote: I had a 5oz glass of it on Sunday. Wow! You really need to like that sort of thing to drink a whole pint. It felt like I was drinking Buckley's.
Different strokes I suppose. I found the cedar quite restrained, palate on the full side of medium-bodied but not syrupy, and the base beer just seemed to be a solid US IPA not unlike Smash Bomb. But it's possible that the Monogamy threw my palate off somewhat, as it was bursting with big NS hop flavours.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Apocalypse Later :D Very nice!!!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

GLB Apolcalypse Later - I'm digging this one - cola black, massive head, wonderfully bitter with the "black" characteristics complementing the beer instead of taking it over.

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2012 - This beer hasn't fallen off, but it is noticeable sweeter than in previous incarnations. Only managed 2 bottles thanks to a trade, so the other one will take up residence in the cellar.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo