Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

J343MY wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
velovampire wrote: The first one I had I felt the same way about "that flavour" (I can't pinpoint it either). However, I did have it right after a Monogamy: Summit, so that might have coloured my opinion somewhat. The second bottle (and subsequent bottles) I had on a fresh palate and was really, really nice. Slightly "rough", but perfectly fitting for the style, IMO.
Drinking one now and quite like it - yeah, a tad rough, but the hops and roast work, I think...really drinkable. Is the flavour a mild soapiness in the finish? There seems to be a real thick oily flavour from the hops - not unpleasant though.
I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and I think it's Hoppin' Frog's black IPA that it reminds me of. The combination of the hops they used along with the roast malt bitterness and slightly cloying sweetness put me off a bit. That bottle was a bit of a challenge to get through for me. I have one more, I will give it another shot tomorrow.
I'm starting to get used to the house character of Bellwoods...I really liked the beer and found it quaffable. I could've used a bit more roast and body, but I realize it's a brown ale and not a black IPA.

I'd like to try more American Brown Ales, but I think I probably prefer the subtleties of English ones.

As an aside the new batch of Hellwoods went on tap tonight. Couldn't stick around and try it, but apparently it's been tweaked and is very good.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Drakes Denogginzer DIPA - very sweet and very hoppy

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Ashton Hopstravaganza
Ashton Coffee Porter
Beau's Strong Patrick
Bellwoods Monogamy Nelson Sauvin

Successful night so far.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Batch 10 Supplication

Will likely move on to a Founders IS in a bit.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

liamt07 wrote:Batch 10 Supplication

sounds terrible

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Brooklyn Black Chocolate with a few years on it. This takes me back a decade to when I first started drinking good beer. Nothing flashy or over-the-top, just an incredibly well-crafted imperial stout using a great malt combination to create a wonderful chocolate flavour. Always loved this one.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

homebrewed belgian table beer
twice as mad tom
sinha stout
homebrewed oak aged mead

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Picked up some Bellwoods Monogamy (Summit) and Grizzly Beer at the store.

On tap I tried Bellwoods Monogamy (Summit) and Exprimador they brewed for Grand Electric. Both very good American Pales.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

PeenSteen wrote:

sounds terrible
Drainpoured both. Supplication was sour (probably infected). Utter crap.

Streets

Post by Streets »

liamt07 wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:

sounds terrible
Good call, you might have become seriously ill!

Beaver River IPEh. Tasting much better than I remember, not sure if they've changed the recipe or if it's just that it's fresher than I've had it before. The batch currently at the LCBO was bottled February 14th.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ really, I had no idea a sealed alcohol product going sour/cheesy/infected can make you sick. I always assumed a soured Trafalgar product was safe to drink even if it taste like a Flemish Red instead of an Irish Ale.

If infected = not healthy to drink, we have a public safety petition VS one local brewer.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Molson Stock Ale on tap at Loose Moose. I thought I would give it a shot. Alas, not very good, even for a traditional Canadian cream ale or whatever. I'd much rather have a Sleeman even. Followed it with a Sawdust City Lone Pine, and it was just light years better. Then finished up with a Silversmith Black Lager -- really nice too.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

liamt07 wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:

sounds terrible
but... supplication is supposed to be incredibly sour

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

distr0 wrote: but... supplication is supposed to be incredibly sour
Pretty sure Liam was kidding.
Ren

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks for the tip on Molson Stock, Midlife, it must be the first time in over 30 years the brand is available on draft. Too bad the taste doesn't sound that great..

Sampling now Hop City's Pale Ale. It's got lots of malt, lots of hops, but the thing doesn't cohere for me, it ends up tasting (to me) kind of unbalanced. The hops have an acidic edge - I think it is the hops - similar to what I get in Barking Squirrel. Decent gateway product but not more, IMO and I'd rate Six Pints's pale ale and IPA much higher for example.

Gary
Gary Gillman